The Student Room Group

What evidence do you need to send us by SLC

Got a question about what evidence you need to send us? Our experts are here to help.

Emma is one of Student Finance England's experienced student finance advisors. She has a wide range of knowledge across multiple areas including grants for dependents, Postgraduate Loan, Disabled Students’ Allowances, and EU and Migrant Worker eligibility. Emma has worked in Student Finance England’s contact centre for over 7 years.

Stuart is an experienced customer advisor within Student Finance England.
He works with the social media team and deals with queries about the evidence required from students and sponsors as part of the application process.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 14 February.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 6 years ago)
Hey what do you need in order to apply to student finance ?
What documents we should prepare to apply for student finance and when we can apply for it if we want to start the university this September
Hi Emma,

I'm a mature student on an Access course. I have a conditional offer to start a full time undergraduate course in Speech and Language Therapy in Sept 2018. I have a one year old son, I don't work but my husband works full time. I have an Ofsted registered childminder who will be looking after my son for 3 days per week in Sept.

Could I be eligible for childcare grant. Can you get both the parents learning allowance and childcare grant or just one of these? Also I've heard that if you are doing a healthcare course you could get £1000 per year for childcare costs? Is this as well as the childcare grant? Do I apply for these things at the same time as my tuition fee loan and maintenance loan or is there a separate application?

Thanks, Rachael
Hi, iv'e just opened up an account on the gov.uk student finance and im not sure which bank details to put down. Do i just use my normal everyday card or do i have to open up an new account?? Thanks
I applied for student finance. However it did not ask me for my parents details or household income. Have I done something wrong?
As a new EU student, who has been lived in UK for a period of 1 year prior to the start date of the course , and then the other years in an EU country , what kind of evidence should I send to student finance England in order to prove the adress both in UK and EU country ? Thank you !
I am both an EU student , a migrant EEA worker and a child of an EU student .
As a new EU student, who has been lived in UK for a period of 1 year prior to the start date of the course , and then the other years in an EU country , what kind of evidence should I send to student finance England in order to prove the adress both in UK and EU country ? Thank you !
Reply 9
Do I have to show evidence for my moms boyfriend? And if your parent is self employed what evidence is required?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey what do you need in order to apply to student finance ?

Hi nisha.sri,

What you would need would depend on what sort of application you are making. One thing that everyone will need is valid ID.

What sort of application would you be making?

Thanks, Stuart
Original post by habibaelbeh
What documents we should prepare to apply for student finance and when we can apply for it if we want to start the university this September

Hi habibaelbeh,
The documents we will require for your student finance will be current valid ID along with an application. If you will be studying full time in the 18/19 academic year then SFE and EU applications opened 12/02/2018 so you can do this via your online account or by paper for SFE or by post for EU funding.

Some other evidence may be needed depending on your personal circumstances.

Regards, Emma
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
My passport expired in January, is there an alternative that I could send instead ?
Original post by rachaelrabbit
Hi Emma,

I'm a mature student on an Access course. I have a conditional offer to start a full time undergraduate course in Speech and Language Therapy in Sept 2018. I have a one year old son, I don't work but my husband works full time. I have an Ofsted registered childminder who will be looking after my son for 3 days per week in Sept.

Hi Rachael,

We'll go through this a bit at a time.

Could I be eligible for childcare grant. Can you get both the parents learning allowance and childcare grant or just one of these?

You may be eligible for the Childcare Grant if you're not receiving the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits or claiming for childcare through the NHS. Also we would only help with costs for childcare that is over and above any Early Years entitlement.

It is possible to get Parents Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant at the same time.

Also I've heard that if you are doing a healthcare course you could get £1000 per year for childcare costs? Is this as well as the childcare grant?

Sort of answered this above. Support towards childcare costs can only be claimed from one government source, even where that funding does not cover the full costs of the childcare.

So if you get it from us you can't claim through the NHS and vice versa.

Do I apply for these things at the same time as my tuition fee loan and maintenance loan or is there a separate application?

Thanks, Rachael

When you make the application and you indicate that you have dependent children we will start the process to look at the relevant funding.

You would need to send some evidence - copies of the child(s) birth certificates and a copy of the most recent Tax Credits Award Notice, Universal Credit Award Notice or Child Benefit Letter on which you and the child(ren) are named.

We'd also send a Childcare Grant Estimate form (CCG1) for you to complete and return.

Regards, Stuart
Original post by Davina4000
Hi, iv'e just opened up an account on the gov.uk student finance and im not sure which bank details to put down. Do i just use my normal everyday card or do i have to open up an new account?? Thanks

Hi Davina4000
The Bank details can be your current account, Alternately if you are wanting to open another dedicated student account you can do this. All we ask is that the bank details are in your name and able to accept credits.

Regards, Emma
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Traceylouise284
I applied for student finance. However it did not ask me for my parents details or household income. Have I done something wrong?

Hi,

You may have gone past the point where it asks if you want the funding based on the household income.

If you haven't submitted the application you should be able to go back through and make the required changes.

If you have submitted it you can print a form to request we include the household income and also a form for you parents to provide their details. If you then submit the forms we can reassess the application.

Regards, Stuart
Original post by Abbie11
Do I have to show evidence for my moms boyfriend? And if your parent is self employed what evidence is required?

Hi Abbie11

As a new student when you apply for student finance, your sponsors will enter their financial information and once submitted we will check with HMRC. If there is a variance we request evidence.

This can be:
A finalised Tax Return, or an Accountant’s Letter which must be Signed or Stamped by the Accountant Confirming Income (this can be a photocopy).

If the Tax Return has been Submitted Online Printed Copy of This or if Submitted on Paper A Photocopy Signed and Dated by the Person Completing the Return or the response from HMRC stating that it is Finalised.

Regards, Emma
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Abbie11
My passport expired in January, is there an alternative that I could send instead ?

Hi Abbie,

If you don't have a valid UK Passport you can send us your original Birth Certificate along with the Birth Certificate Form.

Regards, Stuart
Original post by CaitlynCernolev

Hi CaitlynCernolev

With regards your address history this would be completed in the application form and is usually required as a list with accompanying dates of all address in the three years prior to the start of the AY,

Proof of address on initial application will not be needed unless requested from the EU / Migrant worker assessors.

Regards, Emma
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there!

I've submitted my SFE application and been asked to send off the signed declaration form. I have not been asked yet for any supporting evidence, however I have been living in the USA for the last 2.5 years to complete my PhD.

Having spoken to several SFE folks, I know I need to provide evidence that my break in residency was temporary- to this end I have several letters as well as copies of my temporary visas and associated paperwork. Should I just go ahead and send these in with my signed declaration and a cover letter explaining them?

Thanks!

Latest