The Student Room Group

Student finance explained for parents by SLC

Got a question about your child’s student finance application? Our experts are here to help.

Selva is one of Student Finance England's experienced student finance advisor. He is very knowledgeable in student finance products including Grants for dependents, Migrant Worker, Core funding, PGL funding and DSA.

Debra is an experienced customer advisor within Student Finance England, so can advise on any student finance queries you have.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 14 February.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,I am looking for some advice. My son is still at uni in his first year. He has tried swapping courses and doesn't like it. He is almost at the end of applying to a totally different uni for September.
Does he have to declare this uni on his form and if so whereabouts?
He has been advised to finish this year current year which finishes in May. Is this correct?
Also,I know he would get funding for his actual course by means of the 'gift year' but would he get the same with the maintenance loan.
I am getting so stressed by it all and tried calling ucas but their advice was a bit on the thin side. Just having a panic about it all. Any advice would be gratefully received! Thank you
Original post by boofinkle74
Hi,I am looking for some advice. My son is still at uni in his first year. He has tried swapping courses and doesn't like it. He is almost at the end of applying to a totally different uni for September.
Does he have to declare this uni on his form and if so whereabouts?
He has been advised to finish this year current year which finishes in May. Is this correct?
Also,I know he would get funding for his actual course by means of the 'gift year' but would he get the same with the maintenance loan.
I am getting so stressed by it all and tried calling ucas but their advice was a bit on the thin side. Just having a panic about it all. Any advice would be gratefully received! Thank you

Hi, If he is applying to a new uni on a new course he has to apply on a PN1 form as a new student, he will be eligible for full funding for a full time course but if he has to repeat a year he would not get funding for tuition fee, only maintenance loan and supplementary grants. On the application form there is a section to declare previous study and he would need to declare any previous higher education study. If he needs any further information get him to give us a ring on 0300 100 0607 and we would be able to look into his account. Hope this helps.
Thanks to Debra and Selva.

Latest

Trending

Trending