Turn on thread page Beta

Why are £50 notes frowned upon? watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Went grocery shopping today and it just so happened I only had £50 notes in my wallet. The cashier was looking at them hella suspicious. I just don’t get it, what’s wrong with £50 notes?? It should be known by now that the most common counterfeit notes are actually the £20 ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Went grocery shopping today and it just so happened I only had £50 notes in my wallet. The cashier was looking at them hella suspicious. I just don’t get it, what’s wrong with £50 notes?? It should be known by now that the most common counterfeit notes are actually the £20 ones.
    I might be wrong but I think that a few years ago there was a big thing where there were loads of fake £50 and so people were sceptical. I guess now people are just automatically sceptical because of that?

ReputationRep:
    spit on de fake notes my bruddas

ReputationRep:
    Because unless your purchase is near £50, they are giving you more real money than what they are recieving which could possibly be fake i.e. you give them a worthless fake £50 for a £5 purchase they are then giving you £45 of real money, so they are now £50 out of pocket for the product and the change.

Also £50 is just a quite big amount of money in retail.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Because unless your purchase is near £50, they are giving you more real money than what they are recieving which could possibly be fake i.e. you give them a worthless fake £50 for a £5 purchase they are then giving you £45 of real money, so they are now £50 out of pocket for the product and the change.

Also £50 is just a quite big amount of money in retail.
    I guess so but what’s there to do if you just don’t have smaller notes on you?😂

Nice profile pic btw. AC fan?

ReputationRep:
    Mixture of a fear of them being fake and not wanting to empty their cash drawers and be left screwed for other customers.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anna1029)
    I might be wrong but I think that a few years ago there was a big thing where there were loads of fake £50 and so people were sceptical. I guess now people are just automatically sceptical because of that?
    I have a pal who works in retail and he said to me he actually refuses £50 notes from customers cause they don’t have that machine thingy at his work that checks if they are real or fake and he doesn’t wanna risk it being fake lol

ReputationRep:
    Do people just have £50 notes??? Only seen one in my life and it was a birthday present. I did get change for a £50 note one time when I payed with a £20 :mmm:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Do people just have £50 notes??? Only seen one in my life and it was a birthday present. I did get change for a £50 note one time when I payed with a £20 :mmm:
    Yeah. Got plenty of 50’s and also a few 100’s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Got plenty of 50’s and also a few 100’s
    £100 notes exist??

ReputationRep:
    racial profiling

ReputationRep:
    You probably look shifty.

ReputationRep:
    £100 notes exist??
    In Scotland.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    £100 notes exist??
    In Scotland aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    In Scotland.
    This thread has been a truly educational experience. Now I understand why it’s called the student room :shock:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Maker)
    You probably look shifty.
    I kinda do ngl
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    racial profiling
    But i’m Cockasian. Srs.

They were the most common target of counterfeiting, but as you say the most common ones are £20. People just never got over that.

Note: £50 notes are absolutely legal tender, and anyone who refuses to take them in payment for a debt already created (ie at a café where you pay on leaving), is, legally speaking, declining payment, leaving you at liberty to leave without paying. This actually extends to any form of payment offered, whether money or goods of equivalent or greater value.

ReputationRep:
    Having so many probably looked like you robbed a bank or something. Or maybe the cashier had never seen or dealt with one before and was thinking 'are these all real?' - I think I've only ever seen one
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This thread has been a truly educational experience. Now I understand why it’s called the student room :shock:
    You’re welcome lol

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.