Turn on thread page Beta

Hey,
    So I recently firmed Edinburgh (woo) and now I'm looking at accomodation. Thought it would be nice to make a thread for a place to discuss options and get to know other applicants who might be applying to the same

So I'm thinking Darroch Court, Kincaid's Court, New Arthur Place, Robertson's Close and Nicolson Street would be my five picks (favourite being Darroch). Also if anyone has any knowledge on these then it would be much appreciated!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardusty)
    Hey,
    So I recently firmed Edinburgh (woo) and now I'm looking at accomodation. Thought it would be nice to make a thread for a place to discuss options and get to know other applicants who might be applying to the same

So I'm thinking Darroch Court, Kincaid's Court, New Arthur Place, Robertson's Close and Nicolson Street would be my five picks (favourite being Darroch). Also if anyone has any knowledge on these then it would be much appreciated!
    Hi there! Haven't quite committed yet, but I plan on committing soon. Currently looking at Pollock Halls (it's where some former students recommended I live). Thinking Baird or Turner house at the moment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 182KellerJ)
    Hi there! Haven't quite committed yet, but I plan on committing soon. Currently looking at Pollock Halls (it's where some former students recommended I live). Thinking Baird or Turner house at the moment.
    Pollock is great if you're really sociable/want to be round sociable people. Good choice.

ReputationRep:
    All first year will be in Pollock if I'm not mistaken from what I've been told. Not sure if it's the same now but I was told that being in Pollock is highly recommended if you want to have a decent social life as all the first year would hang around this area. Anywhere else for first year is not recommended.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    can someone confirm if students can now apply for accommodations? I just accepted my offer and can't yet apply. ("sorry -no information has been found for your record)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    can someone confirm if students can now apply for accommodations? I just accepted my offer and can't yet apply. ("sorry -no information has been found for your record)
    Applications should be open.

Are you going through myAccommodation via MyEd? If it's not working then I suggest either calling up the allocations team on Monday or use the live chat feature on the website.

Don't worry about that, after you firm it takes a little while until the accomodation services open up to you. I think it took a couple days for me.

ReputationRep:
    Do I need to put Edinburgh as my firm/insurance on UCAS before I'm able to apply for accommodation? If so, will I risk reducing my chance of getting a place at my first choice halls if I leave it until a couple of month's time to confirm Edinburgh as one of my choices? (Because I'm really struggling to decide whether to put it as my firm or insurance).

Also, do you have any knowledge of Warrender Park Crescent and/or Warrender Park Road, and which of them is better?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello! So I'm looking for accommodation for 2018/19 and everyone seems to agree that Pollock Halls is the best option for the social aspect.. But the thing is that I would like a self-catered accommodation since it's less expensive and you have more freedom etcc... Are self-cated accommodation still sociable? and would you recommend some slef-catered accommodation more than others ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eu_student)
    Hello! So I'm looking for accommodation for 2018/19 and everyone seems to agree that Pollock Halls is the best option for the social aspect.. But the thing is that I would like a self-catered accommodation since it's less expensive and you have more freedom etcc... Are self-cated accommodation still sociable? and would you recommend some slef-catered accommodation more than others ?
    Check out Fraser Court, it's self-catered but right on the edge of Pollock, and according to a thread (which I'll link below) you could still get the social aspect of Pollock with the benefits of being self-catered.

Link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3509495
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Amanzhol)
    Do I need to put Edinburgh as my firm/insurance on UCAS before I'm able to apply for accommodation? If so, will I risk reducing my chance of getting a place at my first choice halls if I leave it until a couple of month's time to confirm Edinburgh as one of my choices? (Because I'm really struggling to decide whether to put it as my firm or insurance).

Also, do you have any knowledge of Warrender Park Crescent and/or Warrender Park Road, and which of them is better?

Thank you
    Thanks for the tag

If Edinburgh is not your firm choice, then you're only guaranteed shared rooms (this doesn't mean you won't be able to apply for en-suites etc, it just means firmed students have priority for single/en-suite rooms)

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone/have any knowledge of Warrender Park Crescent/Road Sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Thanks for the tag

If Edinburgh is not your firm choice, then you're only guaranteed shared rooms (this doesn't mean you won't be able to apply for en-suites etc, it just means firmed students have priority for single/en-suite rooms)

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone/have any knowledge of Warrender Park Crescent/Road Sorry about that.
    Thanks for your response! I'm afraid I have a couple of other questions now

Very glad to hear that it's guaranteed even if not firm, does that remain the case right up until the deadline for requesting accommodation (whenever that is)?

Also, when you say 'shared rooms', do you mean twin rooms where you have another person in your room, or the normal ones where you have your own bedroom but share the bathroom and kitchen with several other flatmates? If it's the latter (hopefully) then that's great as the Warrender Park buildings don't have en-suite anyway!

Finally, do you mind sharing which accommodation you're currently in and what you think of it? It'd be greatly appreciated, but don't worry if you'd rather keep your anonymity :ninja: And do you think it's particularly important for first years to go for Pollock to make friends? I'm only avoiding it because I wouldn't want catered and am not the outgoing type, but I don't want to not make friends either (I just assume that it'll be possible to make friends on the course/through societies instead, right?)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for your response! I'm afraid I have a couple of other questions now

Very glad to hear that it's guaranteed even if not firm, does that remain the case right up until the deadline for requesting accommodation (whenever that is)?

Also, when you say 'shared rooms', do you mean twin rooms where you have another person in your room, or the normal ones where you have your own bedroom but share the bathroom and kitchen with several other flatmates? If it's the latter (hopefully) then that's great as the Warrender Park buildings don't have en-suite anyway!

Finally, do you mind sharing which accommodation you're currently in and what you think of it? It'd be greatly appreciated, but don't worry if you'd rather keep your anonymity :ninja: And do you think it's particularly important for first years to go for Pollock to make friends? I'm only avoiding it because I wouldn't want catered and am not the outgoing type, but I don't want to not make friends either (I just assume that it'll be possible to make friends on the course/through societies instead, right?)
    No problem

Yes. As long as you apply before the accommodation deadline (it was the 16th August for the 2017/2018 academic year, so I'd imagine it's going to be around that time this year too) you're guaranteed some form of accommodation.

The former. You'll have another person in the same room (a twin room, I suppose)

I'd rather not say where I live But it's close to the uni (that narrows it down to about nearly every hall ) But I can tell you I'm not in Pollock and most of my friends aren't from Pollock either (Some from Deaconess, Sciennes <pronounced 'Sheens', weirdly>, Murano etc) and we all managed to make friends from halls, societies, and mainly lectures/tutorials.

I hate the idea of catered accommodation as well, as I eat at strange times and going catered just restricts your freedom a little bit unless you're well endowed and can afford going out whenever you miss the serving times.

ReputationRep:
    No problem

Yes. As long as you apply before the accommodation deadline (it was the 16th August for the 2017/2018 academic year, so I'd imagine it's going to be around that time this year too) you're guaranteed some form of accommodation.

The former. You'll have another person in the same room (a twin room, I suppose)

I'd rather not say where I live But it's close to the uni (that narrows it down to about nearly every hall ) But I can tell you I'm not in Pollock and most of my friends aren't from Pollock either (Some from Deaconess, Sciennes <pronounced 'Sheens', weirdly>, Murano etc) and we all managed to make friends from halls, societies, and mainly lectures/tutorials.

I hate the idea of catered accommodation as well, as I eat at strange times and going catered just restricts your freedom a little bit unless you're well endowed and can afford going out whenever you miss the serving times.
    Ah I see, so say if I applied for single room accommodation but I didn't get a place because of prioritisation to 'firm-ers', would I still be guaranteed a shared room, or should at least one of my options when applying be a shared room to guarantee it?

Haha that's fine, and again great to hear that it's no trouble making friends outside of accommodation!

Couldn't agree with you more, too restrictive and there's always a risk that you're not going to like what's on offer some nights of the week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah I see, so say if I applied for single room accommodation but I didn't get a place because of prioritisation to 'firm-ers', would I still be guaranteed a shared room, or should at least one of my options when applying be a shared room to guarantee it?

Haha that's fine, and again great to hear that it's no trouble making friends outside of accommodation!

Couldn't agree with you more, too restrictive and there's always a risk that you're not going to like what's on offer some nights of the week.
    A few of my friends didn't get ANY of their choices but were still allocated a room at another hall. So as long as your application is sent off before the deadline, then even if all of your options were full, you should still be offered a room elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends didn't get ANY of their choices but were still allocated a room at another hall. So as long as your application is sent off before the deadline, then even if all of your options were full, you should still be offered a room elsewhere.
    Brilliant, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if accommodations are rolling admissions, kinda like UCAS applications? Is June 30th the day everyone hears back, or just the last day one can hear back?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does anyone know if accommodations are rolling admissions, kinda like UCAS applications? Is June 30th the day everyone hears back, or just the last day one can hear back?
    If you are unconditional, then offers will be sent out after June.

If you're still waiting for exam results, you'll get your offer on/after results day AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm also applying to Nicolson Street, New Arthur Place and Kincaid's Court. I'm also thinking of College Wynd, South Clerk Street and Hermit's Croft. I'm certain that I'll be applying to self-catered, shared bathroom flats but I haven't decided whether I want a common room or not, since it's about £500 extra. Did anyone else apply to these?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.