The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accomodation 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jogya201
All first year will be in Pollock if I'm not mistaken from what I've been told. Not sure if it's the same now but I was told that being in Pollock is highly recommended if you want to have a decent social life as all the first year would hang around this area. Anywhere else for first year is not recommended.

Hey sorry but that's not true. Pollock Halls is a catered halls, many first years will be in self-catered too. Edinburgh has loads of Halls, most of the halls are for first years! :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Hey, I was wondering if these are all good accommodation? Want to be quite close to gym, clean rooms, good social atmosphere :biggrin:
1) salisbury court
2) fraser court
3) ratcliffe terrace
4) new arthur place
5) warrender park crescent

Thanks for any help
Original post by cchem
Hey, I was wondering if these are all good accommodation? Want to be quite close to gym, clean rooms, good social atmosphere :biggrin:
1) salisbury court
2) fraser court
3) ratcliffe terrace
4) new arthur place

Thanks for any help

Check Maps for the distance from each accomm to the Pleasance Gym.

Salisbury is literally a straight path towards the gym, but it's a rather long walk. Not sure how it compares to the other places though.
Hello!

I'm a first year student and I applied for various accommodation within pollock halls. I was wondering in terms of social life, are there any noticeable differences between the en-suite and regular accommodation? I'm an American going into the maths programme for context, and well at least in my country my classmates aren't exactly known for being the most sociable humans on earth. While I respect their choice to be a bit closed off per se, I love being social and would prefer to put myself in a more social environment. Would you say one is considerably more social than the other?

Also, I am aware that my visa allows me to enter the UK a month before the start date of my course. Does that mean I should plan to move in around mid-august? I am a bit uncertain in respect to when new students are supposed to move in.

Thank you!
Original post by jkimura1
Hello!

I'm a first year student and I applied for various accommodation within pollock halls. I was wondering in terms of social life, are there any noticeable differences between the en-suite and regular accommodation? I'm an American going into the maths programme for context, and well at least in my country my classmates aren't exactly known for being the most sociable humans on earth. While I respect their choice to be a bit closed off per se, I love being social and would prefer to put myself in a more social environment. Would you say one is considerably more social than the other?

Also, I am aware that my visa allows me to enter the UK a month before the start date of my course. Does that mean I should plan to move in around mid-august? I am a bit uncertain in respect to when new students are supposed to move in.

Thank you!

Nope.

Despite the stereotypes re: maths students (speaking as a CompSci, I know what you mean), you will meet extremely sociable people in your lectures :smile:
Original post by cchem
1) salisbury court
2) fraser court
3) ratcliffe terrace
4) new arthur place

Thanks for any help

Fraser court and warranter park crescent have common rooms so I think its got a good social atmosphere. New arthur place is right next to the gym, warrander park crescent is about 20 min away. Not sure about the others but it'll say on the accommodation website :smile:
Reply 26
Hello!

I was looking up the accommodation website and murano has a studio option? Is that like you get your own apartment? Birmingham university also has studios but it's more catered to couples and postgrads, so I was wondering if it's the same case in Edinburgh as well. My parents want me to apply for it since it's got a bigger space and a private kitchen area, but I'd rather not be constantly third wheeling people and studios sound awfully anti social for an undergrad. I think I'd rather apply for just a standard single at murano or a single in brae.

Does anyone have some advice? Thanks a bunch!!
Original post by r3nn
Hello!

I was looking up the accommodation website and murano has a studio option? Is that like you get your own apartment? Birmingham university also has studios but it's more catered to couples and postgrads, so I was wondering if it's the same case in Edinburgh as well. My parents want me to apply for it since it's got a bigger space and a private kitchen area, but I'd rather not be constantly third wheeling people and studios sound awfully anti social for an undergrad. I think I'd rather apply for just a standard single at murano or a single in brae.

Does anyone have some advice? Thanks a bunch!!

Pretty much. You have your kitchen in the same 'room' as your bedroom in Murano I think.

Studios are anti-social, yes. However, you'll probably make most of your friends during lectures/tutorials rather than in halls.
Ehm slightly confused regarding the terms and conditions - when selecting preferences ( Step 3 ) at the very end of the page it states :
"Both the minimum number of preferences (5) need to be selected and the guarantee acceptance needs to be agreed (tickbox below your basket) before continuing. ".

Does that mean we have to accept the accommodation offered? Can't I reject if it's not what I was expecting?
Original post by hassassin04
Ehm slightly confused regarding the terms and conditions - when selecting preferences ( Step 3 ) at the very end of the page it states :
"Both the minimum number of preferences (5) need to be selected and the guarantee acceptance needs to be agreed (tickbox below your basket) before continuing. ".

Does that mean we have to accept the accommodation offered? Can't I reject if it's not what I was expecting?

No. You can always reject and go find accommodation elsewhere in the private sector if you're unhappy with what you're offered.
Original post by Blue_Cow
No. You can always reject and go find accommodation elsewhere in the private sector if you're unhappy with what you're offered.

That makes sense, thanks for reassuring!
Original post by hassassin04
That makes sense, thanks for reassuring!

You're welcome.

Be warned though - private sector halls are extremely expensive, with some being £2000-3000 per year more than a similar uni-owned hall in the same area.
Reply 32
Pretty much. You have your kitchen in the same 'room' as your bedroom in Murano I think.

Studios are anti-social, yes. However, you'll probably make most of your friends during lectures/tutorials rather than in halls.

Oh I see, thanks for the reply! Also, do you have any opinion on either Murano and Brae house? The website listed both places with the same room pictures (not sure if that was a mistake or not), but I'm not sure which one to choose between.
Original post by r3nn
Oh I see, thanks for the reply! Also, do you have any opinion on either Murano and Brae house? The website listed both places with the same room pictures (not sure if that was a mistake or not), but I'm not sure which one to choose between.

Murano is quite nice. Shower is a fair size but not much room to move about. You'll need to buy a Ridacard realistically because it's quite a distance from the university.

P.S. I don't live in Murano I just know someone who lives there and I've visited.
Hey guys, I think I've chosen my final five accommodation options:
- Warrender Park Crescent
- Warrender Park Road/Spottiswoode Street
- Nicolson Street/South College Street
- Hermit's Croft
- Blackfriars Street

Does anyone happen to know if Nicolson or Blackfriars are on overly-busy/noisy roads? Also, for the first three, are the 'large' rooms considerably bigger than the small/standard sized ones? Finally, are there any major disadvantages about any of these that might be worth knowing?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Amanzhol
Hey guys, I think I've chosen my final five accommodation options:
- Warrender Park Crescent
- Warrender Park Road/Spottiswoode Street
- Nicolson Street/South College Street
- Hermit's Croft
- Blackfriars Street

Does anyone happen to know if Nicolson or Blackfriars are on overly-busy/noisy roads? Also, for the first three, are the 'large' rooms considerably bigger than the small/standard sized ones? Finally, are there any major disadvantages about any of these that might be worth knowing?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I think the Nicholson St property is just between the street that goes from Old College towards Potterrow. That particular backstreet isn't TOO busy, but I'd imagine you'll still be able to hear the cars from the main street a few meters away. You'll just have to deal with it unfortunately because that's just Edinburgh :/ The road is fairly quiet at night though as I walk through it often coming from the rail station/McDonalds after a night out :ahee:
I actually missed out on my halls because I applied too late (don't do that), but found a great place on Campusboard after being recommended it. Just thought I'd pass on the wisdom if anyone ever gets stuck! :smile:
I've just got an offer back for Sciennes and it says 'ensuite room' in the room description. I am trying to figure out if this is an error or not as I thought there wasn't any ensuites at Sciennes.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also is anyone else in Sciennes? I would love to meet people who will be staying with me!

@Blue_Cow
Original post by katie_boo_456
I've just got an offer back for Sciennes and it says 'ensuite room' in the room description. I am trying to figure out if this is an error or not as I thought there wasn't any ensuites at Sciennes.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also is anyone else in Sciennes? I would love to meet people who will be staying with me!

@Blue_Cow

That's weird - I don't remember seeing any en-suite rooms in Sciennes either. I've been there a few times too. Definitely call up Accommodation, Catering and Events for more info on that.
That's weird - I don't remember seeing any en-suite rooms in Sciennes either. I've been there a few times too. Definitely call up Accommodation, Catering and Events for more info on that.

I've messaged accommodation services so hopefully I will hear back from them. No one else that I know for Sciennes has that in their room type so it's a bit strange.

Thank you for your insight though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending