priannb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm wanting to do the Gold Crest Award and am thinking of doing it based on a chemistry topic because that's what I want to study at Uni. I need to do 70 hours of work minimum and it says "At Gold level, your students’ work should contribute something new to the scientific or technological community or to a particular field of study." what does this mean and has anyone got any ideas on what i could do it on?
Thank you xx
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by priannb)
I'm wanting to do the Gold Crest Award and am thinking of doing it based on a chemistry topic because that's what I want to study at Uni. I need to do 70 hours of work minimum and it says "At Gold level, your students’ work should contribute something new to the scientific or technological community or to a particular field of study." what does this mean and has anyone got any ideas on what i could do it on?
Thank you xx
Hello :hi:

I have done a Gold CREST Award before, so can answer your questions and give you some pointers if you need

That sentence basically means that you need to conduct new research (i.e. for a chemistry based one the investigation you do can't just be using a common experiment that everyone knows the 'answer' to if that makes sense?). It needs to contribute something new to scientific understanding. It could be that you use existing techniques on a new type of whatever the existing techniques are used for (e.g. use existing soil analysis techniques to analyse soil samples).

In terms of the area of investigation, which areas of chemistry particularly interest you? That might be a good starting point. There are plenty of ideas on the CREST website that you could use for inspiration and even some descriptions of what kind of thing would be expected for those examples at gold level, which might be helpful (http://www.crestawards.org/project-resources/).

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.57%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.69%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (89)
37.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.53%

Watched Threads