Turn on thread page Beta

Alternative path to mechanical engineering and big science by STFC watch

ReputationRep:
    Got a question about different ways of getting in to mechanical engineering and big science? Our experts are here to help.

Luke graduated from a four-year Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship at Daresbury laboratory and is now a full-time Mechanical Technician.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Thursday 15 February.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking the btec applied science and I'm not sure what jobs are available in the future I want my future career to be something sciencey and sadly I'm doing foundation and only 1 science subject biology any tips or am I scewed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by outta the closet)
    I'm taking the btec applied science and I'm not sure what jobs are available in the future I want my future career to be something sciencey and sadly I'm doing foundation and only 1 science subject biology any tips or am I scewed
    I wouldn't ever worry about your starting point, in careers like this it will most often take you as far as you are willing to go, I also began with a btec in engineering and an AS in chemistry. However the btec was enough for me to be considered for an interview for an apprenticeship, and from there I just went through more education via my apprenticeship. This has given me a HND plus all the hands on knowledge, with the availability to continue to agree when the time is right. If anything sciencey is the career route you want just do lots of research into places taking apprentices or courses that will build you up in the direction you want to go.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's the end of the webchat. Thanks for your time, Luke!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.