Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am above and beyond the entry requirements for my course, had good GCSE grades, and I still got rejected from my course. A reason was not provided (I'm guessing it's because the course was competitive).

I'm really upset as Leeds is the only uni that I actually wanted to go to and I planned my entire next three years of life around studying here. Is there a way to contact admissions and ask for them to reconsider?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by oniins)
    I am above and beyond the entry requirements for my course, had good GCSE grades, and I still got rejected from my course. A reason was not provided (I'm guessing it's because the course was competitive).

I'm really upset as Leeds is the only uni that I actually wanted to go to and I planned my entire next three years of life around studying here. Is there a way to contact admissions and ask for them to reconsider?
    Did they provide a reason for your rejection?

Generally you can usually only appeal a rejection (from anywhere) if you have evident to support otherwise (e.g. remarks etc.)

And honestly, I know what you're going through. I got rejected by Birmingham after months of waiting last week, and now there's nowhere else I can see myself studying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Did they provide a reason for your rejection?

Generally you can usually only appeal a rejection (from anywhere) if you have evident to support otherwise (e.g. remarks etc.)

And honestly, I know what you're going through. I got rejected by Birmingham after months of waiting last week, and now there's nowhere else I can see myself studying...
    no. They didn't give a reason, which I thought was pretty unfair. what do you mean by remarks?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    no. They didn't give a reason, which I thought was pretty unfair. what do you mean by remarks?
    Remarks - as in having A level papers remarked (the results of which can come after your application being sent off if you're really early like me)

If they haven't given you a reason then I would suggest contacting them - by phone/email or even by twitter/Facebook - and asking for some feedback on why they rejected you. this usually means they'll give you a reason. It's also worth trying to find their appeals process on their website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Remarks - as in having A level papers remarked (the results of which can come after your application being sent off if you're really early like me)

If they haven't given you a reason then I would suggest contacting them - by phone/email or even by twitter/Facebook - and asking for some feedback on why they rejected you. this usually means they'll give you a reason. It's also worth trying to find their appeals process on their website.
    I really don't see how remarks would help. I'm predicted the equivalent of A* on all three of my subjects at sixth form... sigh. this is confusing!!

thanks for the help though, I am going to look for the process.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I really don't see how remarks would help. I'm predicted the equivalent of A* on all three of my subjects at sixth form... sigh. this is confusing!!

thanks for the help though, I am going to look for the process.
    You're welcome and I'm sorry you ended up getting rejected in the first place. (it's a bummer, especially when it's the one place you really want to go)

ReputationRep:
    What course is this for?
    Usually they give offers to everyone who at least meets the required grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    What course is this for?
    Usually they give offers to everyone who at least meets the required grades
    It was for film, photography and media BA. the entry requirements (for BTEC) is DDD, and I'm predicted D*D*D*... So I have no idea what went wrong!!

ReputationRep:
    It was for film, photography and media BA. the entry requirements (for BTEC) is DDD, and I'm predicted D*D*D*... So I have no idea what went wrong!!
    Very odd
    I remember a lot of media courses being open to clearing the year I did the phones (Summer 2015)
    I'd definitely email them to see what went wrong, and see if you can appeal

ReputationRep:
    hi don't know if you did already but if you apply for a2l they could reconsider your application (small chance tho) deadline end of feb

ReputationRep:

Contact them and ask for a reason. You shouldn’t just assume you’ll be accepted because of good grades, there are plenty of people with good grades, perhaps your PS was not as strong. If you think it was unfair then you can appeal but I doubt you’d be successful.

ReputationRep:
    This course is incredibly oversubscribed - only 25% of applicants receive offers. Many of them will have the predicted grades necessary or even higher. When i spoke to admissions before applying (they were very helpful) they said they were looking for candidates who could demonstrate an interest in all 3 subjects - media, film and traditional photography. I got the impression they were looking for participation in these in subjects rather than just a notional 'I really like taking pictures'.I think the course is so oversubscribed that in these circumstances the personal statement really counts. If the course is really important to you it may be an idea to give them a call and see if they could give you any tips on improving your application if you deferred for a year.

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.