Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Feel as though I am spending too much time sitting down and studying - want to find more active ways to study without decreasing the quality of study. Wondered if anyone had any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I think good way to spend time coding is on average of 8-10 hours a day, broken into two sessions. After it's done, do something else that doesn't involve staring at digital screens I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanzarowando)
    I think good way to spend time coding is on average of 8-10 hours a day, broken into two sessions. After it's done, do something else that doesn't involve staring at digital screens I guess...
    Really that's far too long. Aside from the fact that people typically can't maintain focus or concentrate for that long, it's really bad for your health to be sat down in front of a screen for 4-5 hours at a time..

The UK Govt Health & Safety Executive guidelines suggest around 5-10 minutes break after 50-60 minutes screen use:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/vdubreaks.htm

Obviously that's an average guideline, but as a "rule of thumb" it's what you should aim for. Staring at a screen for prolonged periods of time can cause eyestrain, there are also links with RSI if you use a keyboard/mouse a lot (depending on your posture too), and generally being sat down for long periods of time can cause a whole range of health problems over the long term.

ReputationRep:
    haha I said its a "good way" since, from the impression I get from coders and game programmers on Facebook and forums I'm part of, they seem to be spending all day coding. xD
    nevertheless, I agree to what u said
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanzarowando)
    Thats too much. 3-4 hours per day (assuming you have no school) i perfect. Work in 1-1.5 hour junks and take 30 min breaks. If you want to exercise go for morning walks its always nice to smell fresh air in the morning and get your body moving.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.