Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hmm. If your are talking about rl, I'm only 16. Can't vote. Anyway, I'd probs be spoilt ballot. So...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    The NHS isn’t sustainable if it gets:
    - cuts in funding
    - lowered staff morale as their working hours increase
    - lack of education of the public
    - increasing demand
    - elderly population spending more time being sick
    - competition with the private health sector
    - an incompetent government (the NHS should be a separate body)

Can you please at least make a balanced argument. Yes the NHS is not flawless and it is becoming more strained but it has worked for over 50 years serving people based on clinical need. You can’t deny the care and affect the NHS has had on our society.
    Competition is probably in the private sector is literally the best thing that can happen. How do you people concoct these strange views?

The postal service in the UK was atrocious before the government allowed private companies to set up shop. When companies like FedEx rolled up and posted packages in days instead of weeks like the government, the government realised it had to get it's **** together and now we have a great postal service.

The lack of competition just leads to compliance. There are mountains of empirical evidence to back this up and it's strange it isn't established common sense yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    It is not.
    Explain how it isn't. When taxation matches the exact definition of theft, tell me how it is, therefore, somehow...NOT THEFT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Competition is probably in the private sector is literally the best thing that can happen. How do you people concoct these strange views?

The postal service in the UK was atrocious before the government allowed private companies to set up shop. When companies like FedEx rolled up and posted packages in days instead of weeks like the government, the government realised it had to get it's **** together and now we have a great postal service.

The lack of competition just leads to compliance. There are mountains of empirical evidence to back this up and it's strange it isn't established common sense yet.
    This government looks like its ready to sell off the NHS rather than compete with private healthcare companies
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    This government looks like its ready to sell off the NHS rather than compete with private healthcare companies
    How can anyone take anything you say seriously when you make a post like that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TCFactor)
    Plz discuss. I think it isn't. You aren't inherently born with a right to go and get an MRI scan.
    Rights are given by government and our accumulated laws. Healthcare is a right in this country.

ReputationRep:
    You are right about competition in the private sector being a good thing but not when it comes to healthcare. Comparing the NHS to the postal service in the UK is also not particularly fair. Look at the American system for healthcare. They offer the best treatments, surgeries and all around quality with no wait times and yet the poor cannot afford it and rely on ObamaCare and Medicaid (which 21 states have opted out for to give perspective). The NHS offers free, fair healthcare for all. Furthermore in America there are insurance packages with the rich being able to afford an overall better treatment than the poor. If people want the best treatment at high costs then they should go to private hospitals but for good, affordable treatment for everyone with some wait times- the NHS is fine.

What they should do to fix the healthcare system is stop wasting so much money on bloody homeopathy and give more funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexander7931)
    You are right about competition in the private sector being a good thing but not when it comes to healthcare. Comparing the NHS to the postal service in the UK is also not particularly fair. Look at the American system for healthcare. They offer the best treatments, surgeries and all around quality with no wait times and yet the poor cannot afford it and rely on ObamaCare and Medicaid (which 21 states have opted out for to give perspective). The NHS offers free, fair healthcare for all. Furthermore in America there are insurance packages with the rich being able to afford an overall better treatment than the poor. If people want the best treatment at high costs then they should go to private hospitals but for good, affordable treatment for everyone with some wait times- the NHS is fine.

What they should do to fix the healthcare system is stop wasting so much money on bloody homeopathy and give more funding
    My comment was a response to someone who said that compeition against the private sector was a bad thing. I disagreed. I never said we should fully privatise the NHS. I think the American system is awful, and we should stay as far away from it as humanly possible. That being said, I think the NHS is inefficient, and it's my personal belief that we should private some aspects of it to make it more efficient e.g. deposit schemes.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.