Turn on thread page Beta

Any Athiests who now believe in God? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Good.

Why?
    It's just that I find it very comforting that people still believe in God and can see bullsh1t in modern society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I enjoyed reading your post.

I'm a Christian, meaning I have looked at the life of Jesus and His teachings and I've connected with God through reading His word. Going to church and hearing good solid preaching totally resounds with my spirit and builds up my faith.

I think sometimes things can be over complicated and I prefer to say I have a very simple faith. It grounds me in my thoughts (about everything to do with life).

I often get the impression that some atheists are keen to know God but have a bitterness, pride and resentment against Him too. It's a dichotomy.

I'm happy for you that you have found God and feel better for it.

I'm just wondering do you know anything about the Holy Spirit?
    Yes it does clarify and simplify, maybe that's more the awareness and presence of God itself than scriptures, not sure.

But whilst I'm not creationist, I do find myself adhering to certain things by intuition, just the feeling that it's right, like with Ezekiel where it says do not take revenge, it is to be left with God, or words to that effect.

Given what I see revelation to be like, it would have been a mysterious process and then there would have been interpretation and human motives written on to it after that- some true, and some not so true. I don't read much but look to certain topics and what I can intuit from it.

I suppose there is also the universalist side to me, I looked at Taoism, a long time before I believed this, and got wisdom and truth from that-In that you have to be aware and find it 'the way', but it's not a dogma of organised religion. That was the first mental change perhaps. It didn't seem to have an ulterior motive, just spirituality and being in tune with the universe.

It's an awareness of something beyond and a refusal to close your mind that is the fundamental thing to me, that changes your behaviour- I think it gives you more gratitude, belief, makes you look to the future more, and less liable to be interested in revenge or more earthly power. Maybe that's grandiose, just what I feel.

It feels like organised religion stopped me getting to that, though I did go in a church alone a few times to connect. Not saying it's all bad, or demeaning it, but there are so many ulterior motives and hypocrites amongst the good, and it seems to have been caught up with judgementalism and power- that's why, maybe I found God autonomously and prefer it to be private for now.

I get what you mean about resentment- In my case it wasn't so much that, maybe fear of losing my rationality and becoming consumed by something too emotional or irrational. This has not happened however. And then there was resentment of general authority/establishment in the country I'm in, a lot of moral hypocrisy and self- seeking things about it that I saw. I feel like some self-declared religious people who seemed to represent the nature of God(but don't to me now) and seemed to have a strong agenda to control people put me off.

When you question it, it's the almighty power, so why would it's priorities be their political ones, sectarianism, homophobia, bigotry towards kids raised believing the wrong God etc. And why would it's morality be so simple as to reward anyone who claimed to belief versus any athiest condemned, regardless of what they did.

I think I looked for it with this mindset, of needing higher morality and truth when dealing with evil, and wanting to belief in a more rational loving God that was universalist- and I found it like that-inspiring and beyond lies.

I feel many have made and used God as a projection of their own earthly wishes. But we may get into disagreements here. There was an apprehension to just feel that love as it is not trendy. I do think that athiests can be more inclined to spite and nihlism.

But I find the religious fall into two categories, one that is compassionate and non judgemental, and another that seem politically motivated, authoritarian, pompous, controlling and judgemental. Tbh going back on this a lot of what turned me against it was probably the way authority and establishment is here, what i've experienced from them(The reason I looked for God is to transcend evil people who are tyrannical, and presenting themselves as the truth and integrity) I also was not wanting the politics or the literalism, more just to see if there was a God, that was the fundamental thing.

But despite all I have said on organised religion, I have encountered some people, like some mormon Americans I met, who have touched me so much .. Thats what you fear as an athiest because at the time you can't let it in or enjoy it, because you fear losing rationality. Anyway, I've gone on a lot there, see what you think.

ReputationRep:
    Your beliefs are as logically justified as a square circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkilled)
    Rich coming from an ape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arizonaidiot)
    Rich coming from an ape
    That's my profile picture, mate. Also, humans evolved from apes. Well, strictly speaking they didn't, they evolved from Homo Erectus.

Also, its a chimpanzee.

ReputationRep:
    That's my profile picture, mate. Also, humans evolved from apes. Well, strictly speaking they didn't, they evolved from Homo Erectus.

Also, its a chimpanzee.
    Monkeys a monkey
    No homo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arizonaidiot)
    Monkeys a monkey
    No homo
    It is a chimpanzee you neanderthal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fowlere)
    I am agnostic atheist but I see God as being metaphorical and kind of respect the idea and logic of religion more than I did a couple years ago when I literally felt like telling a Christian they were dumb.
    You might find the latest H3 podcast with Jordan Peterson interesting, he talks about how he thinks the idea of Jesus and the stories in the bible came about and what they represent, and it’s really interesting.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    You might find the latest H3 podcast with Jordan Peterson interesting, he talks about how he thinks the idea of Jesus and the stories in the bible came about and what they represent, and it’s really interesting.
    My faith is Jordan Peterson. The man is a beacon of reason and free speech.

ReputationRep:
    It is a chimpanzee you neanderthal.
    Let the jimmies rustle through you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    I used to be Muslim, then atheist, and now I believe in God without following a organised religion.

My reasons for being dissatisfied with atheism are similar to yours. I was put off by how atheistic thinkers and commentators promoted extreme materialism, rationality and how it looked down on creativity and emotions. New atheism seems to see emotions and imagination as useless and value cold rationality and empirical science.

In my view, militant atheists are worse than theists because of their hypocrisy. Militant atheists are different to atheists who will debate about religions. Militant atheists will use ad hominem attacks on anyone who disagrees with them and will then criticise theists who do the same thing. Militant atheists will then appeal to scientific theories that are simply theories and try to market them as irrefutable truths.
    I am interested in knowing why you left islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marwakhalid)
    I am interested in knowing why you left islam?
    I disagreed strongly with how liberal Muslims who try to reform the religion are threatened with violence by other Muslims and that ruined the religion for me. I also did not like how the Quran has been pushed aside and Hadiths have been given importance.

There is no way to prove that Hadiths are actually true, especially since they were all written at least 300 years after Muhammad died. Yet, Muslim scholars still insist on them being absolutely true.

I also felt that Islam has come to be shaped and dominated by Muslim scholars with their own political agenda. Yet, normal Muslims will blindly follow what these scholars say because they are too lazy to research the religion for their selves.

ReputationRep:
    Theism to atheism to monistic pantheism.

ReputationRep:

Also, its a chimpanzee.
    Humans are Great Apes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cman123)
    Yeah u definitely need a holiday mate , i feel like u've been listening to too much Deepak Chopra.

"He may be the order in it or higher consciousness in it." - when u use english in such a way your words seem to lose all meaning. I get what you're trying to say - god's beyond explanation and us as human's cannot possibley decribe or begin to explain what he is (the basis of the hinduism btw (mystics)). But when u try and suggest that god is the four fundamental forces in the universe (the order) then the word god seems to lose meaning .

i don't know why you're soooo frustrated with the so called restriction atheism has, your family seem to me to be gnostic atheists, this is not the type of postion i'm promoting, it's just as rediculous as a christian saying he knows god exists.

Let's not forget that most buddhists are also agnostic atheists do u really think that they're restricted in a spiritual sense? I think not.

Don't forget u can be an atheist (for the wrong reasons) and believe that u've had sexual encounters with aliens, or that there's life after death, despite the fact that it goes against evidence.

You seriously believe that the divinity of christ is true???
    This is the point, u used to be an atheist for the wrong reasons i'm guessing u used to be because that's what ur parents told you. The reason u should have been an atheist is simple: evidence. There is simply no evidence that jesus of nazarath was a divine person, i mean why do not believe that mohammed was a prophet of god?? Or why have u decided that there's no divinity in the Greek or Romans pantheons.You seem to pick and choose what u believe irrespective of evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kh8L_Z_hyc
    ".....or that there's life after death despite the evidence against it."

I would like to hear the evidence AGAINST life after death.

For all you who feel evidence is needed to believe in God. A belief in God is not faith in God. To know for sure something exists you do indeed need to see it or have adequate evidence of it. Knowing that wasn't going to be the case, God gave each man a measure of faith so that we could know of his existence through our faith. Our senses don't reveal God to us; our measure of faith does. As far as I know we/re the only creatures who have faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yankeedog1953)
    ".....or that there's life after death despite the evidence against it."

I would like to hear the evidence AGAINST life after death.

For all you who feel evidence is needed to believe in God. A belief in God is not faith in God. To know for sure something exists you do indeed need to see it or have adequate evidence of it. Knowing that wasn't going to be the case, God gave each man a measure of faith so that we could know of his existence through our faith. Our senses don't reveal God to us; our measure of faith does. As far as I know we/re the only creatures who have faith.
    Your rationale is just incredibly flawed i really don't see how u don't understand this.

"I would like to hear the evidence AGAINST life after death."

So we should only stop believing in something once it's been proven wrong?

Okay then prove that you are alive..... can u do this??
    No! You can't since you could just be a part of a dream that someone else is having. There are so many philisophical ideas that suggest that we are simply not really alive but rather a dream.This is something that cannot be proven wrong at all, you can't even try to do it, due to the nature of the argument!!! Yet you're suggesting that we should simply believe it since there's no evidence against it.

The problem is you can use this line of reasoning to justify the existence of literally anything!!!

Okay let's take your line of reasoning to it's natural conclusion, by using a different example:
    The invisble guy called Mike can't be relvealed through evidence alone
    I can hear him from time to time and almost see him (the evidence) but we need faith to point us towards him since evidence can't do it alone
    Therefore Mike must exist

This, just like me replacing Mike with God is an example of a "decision bias" where we biasly start from the presumption that god exists (or Mike) exists and then attempting to grasp at any peice if "evidence" that we biasedly go out and search for, and ignore anything in the contrary.

This is not the way that scientists attempt to study the universe and the world, it's simply illogical and irational, if we applied the scientific method for god we'd reach the same conclusion as we would with the Aliens that've probed us or us living in the matrix:
    We don't know but it's best to not believe in it, untill the evidence presents itself. This for God woud be the agnostic atheist postion.

Examples:
    Aliens that've probed our bums - 110,000 sitings of aliens every year
    Elvis is still alive
    2 pack never died
    Bruce Lee is working as an undercover cop for hong kong
    Santa Claus is real
    Ghosts are haunting my home
    We are most definatelt living in the matrix

The first and the last two are things that we once again can't really give evidence agianst.
    So by your logic we should just believe these things since it hasn't been proven wrong yet. But i'm assuming u don't believe in them and don't put them up there with the existance of God or an after life, but what you're doing is biased, since there's equal evindence for all of these things being true.

Also with the afterlife thing why shouldn't all life on earth have an afterlife along with the 99% of species that have gone extinct, it makes no sense to suggest that this only extends to humans alone since once again it comes from decision bias.

ReputationRep:
    A topologist has no problem with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I'm not saying the divinity of Christ is certain to me, but having seen what I have I now think it's entirely possible, and that interventions by god is mysterious.
    But I believe in evolution, and science, and not creationism
    I used to be an atheist, am now a Christian. I can relate to a lot of what you're saying here.

Sometimes I feel closer to atheists than fundamentalist Christians and literal Bible believers. But ultimately I believe Jesus was God.

ReputationRep:
    According to Pascal, a rationally thinking person should believe in god, because you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cman123)
    Your rationale is just incredibly flawed i really don't see how u don't understand this.

"I would like to hear the evidence AGAINST life after death."

So we should only stop believing in something once it's been proven wrong?

Okay then prove that you are alive..... can u do this??
    No! You can't since you could just be a part of a dream that someone else is having. There are so many philisophical ideas that suggest that we are simply not really alive but rather a dream.This is something that cannot be proven wrong at all, you can't even try to do it, due to the nature of the argument!!! Yet you're suggesting that we should simply believe it since there's no evidence against it.

The problem is you can use this line of reasoning to justify the existence of literally anything!!!

Okay let's take your line of reasoning to it's natural conclusion, by using a different example:
    The invisble guy called Mike can't be relvealed through evidence alone
    I can hear him from time to time and almost see him (the evidence) but we need faith to point us towards him since evidence can't do it alone
    Therefore Mike must exist

This, just like me replacing Mike with God is an example of a "decision bias" where we biasly start from the presumption that god exists (or Mike) exists and then attempting to grasp at any peice if "evidence" that we biasedly go out and search for, and ignore anything in the contrary.

This is not the way that scientists attempt to study the universe and the world, it's simply illogical and irational, if we applied the scientific method for god we'd reach the same conclusion as we would with the Aliens that've probed us or us living in the matrix:
    We don't know but it's best to not believe in it, untill the evidence presents itself. This for God woud be the agnostic atheist postion.

Examples:
    Aliens that've probed our bums - 110,000 sitings of aliens every year
    Elvis is still alive
    2 pack never died
    Bruce Lee is working as an undercover cop for hong kong
    Santa Claus is real
    Ghosts are haunting my home
    We are most definatelt living in the matrix

The first and the last two are things that we once again can't really give evidence agianst.
    So by your logic we should just believe these things since it hasn't been proven wrong yet. But i'm assuming u don't believe in them and don't put them up there with the existance of God or an after life, but what you're doing is biased, since there's equal evindence for all of these things being true.

Also with the afterlife thing why shouldn't all life on earth have an afterlife along with the 99% of species that have gone extinct, it makes no sense to suggest that this only extends to humans alone since once again it comes from decision bias.
    Actually thats quite easy, Aristotle did this years ago. He said I think therefore I am. So you easily prove if you exisist if you simply, well, think but not that otheres exisist.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.