Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent Help Needed (Economics but really it applies for anything) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

So I'm currently taking Govt. + Politics, English Lit + Language and Economics at A Level. The main focus here is on Economics. In November we did our first "test" and I ended up getting 65%, which equated to a C. We recently did another mock and we're awaiting the results.

The main issue is twofold;

1) My own ability. From what I've worked out, I'm good at doing multiple choice questions and will always get at least 80% of them right (working to get to a higher level). However, when it comes to the essay based questions I'm not very good. I know how it should be structured, and I know the actual "knowledge" part of it. I just have an issue structuring it and writing a chain of analysis. I've got half-term coming up, so I'm gonna finish learning everything and then bang out the past papers from then onwards.

My worry is that I'm going about solving this issue the wrong way. You have no idea how frustrating it is to know everything and still get low marks because I can't do a chain of analysis to save my life. Should I be doing more?

2) Grades. I've already decided that I want to take a gap year after A Levels, so the predicted grades I get this summer won't have any effect other than letting me know how I'm doing. Still, I feel like they're important and the sheer idea of only getting a C/B in July is putting me in a panic, considering that I still have to get good grades by the time the real exams come around and I haven't done well so far.

So what do you guys think? Am I going about this the right way? Sorry that this is specific to economics which you may not all do, but the reason I chose to put it here is because I feel the problem I'm having is universal across all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Someone please help.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.