Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year eleven and I’m starting to go ahead with 6th form interviews. I have settled on the three a levels of biology, psychology and maths, but after I received my mock results back for maths and ended up getting a 9, and my predicted grade raising to a 9, my teachers are eager for me to take further maths as a fourth. I guess I’m just wondering whether it would be worth risking the grades of the other 2 subjects for maths and further maths. Due to the new spec I can’t drop one of the four at AS level so I’m very conflicted as whether to take fm or not, as I don’t want to be too overwhelmed and busy so my other subjects suffer as a result.
    I would appreciate some help from anyone who hasn’t been in a similar position to me or anyone who has any good advice as to what I should do

ReputationRep:
    I was kind of in the same position, i took further maths, chemistry and psychology and after getting 98% on my gcse maths exam i thought it would be okay. However I found the work load was just too much and my other subjects ended up being neglected. Now moving into year 13 I made the decision to drop it and ot was the best think i ever did! i know out of the 23 of us who started off doing further maths and 2 other subjects only 3 of them are still doing it, even though on the new alevel system we got no credit for the subject we dropped a lot of people felt the workload was too much and you only need 3 for uni so they tend to just look at your best 3 and ignore the 4th one so 3 good grades will always be better than 4 okay ones. Please don't let the school pressure you into doing something you're not passionate about, if you don't really want to be doing it there is no way youll have the motivation to keep up with the massive workload
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.