Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,why does the calculator have to be set to radians here for the first part of i)?
    Name:  1.PNG
Views: 22
Size:  27.1 KB
    Attachment 723536723538
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sienna2266)
    Hi guys,why does the calculator have to be set to radians here for the first part of i)?
    Name:  1.PNG
Views: 22
    Attachment 723536723538
    At A level we assume radians unless we are told otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    At A level we assume radians unless we are told otherwise.
    Thanks so much! Also, I don't quite understand ii) - the when is the water rising most rapidly bit in particular.

Could you please help me with this?

Edit: Actually, I get it now .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! Also, I don't quite understand ii) - the when is the water rising most rapidly bit in particular.

Could you please help me with this?

Edit: Actually, I get it now .
    Also d/dx (sin x) = cos x is only true in radians

ReputationRep:
    Also d/dx (sin x) = cos x is only true in radians
    Thanks so much for mentioning this. But what about the other derivatives e.g. d/dx (cosx) ... d/dx (tanx) and etc...?

I have attached an image from a doc which says that "that the derivative results rely on measuring x in radians " so does the radians thing apply to all types of trig derivatives and also all trig questions(unless specified to do it in degrees) ?

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 15
Size:  22.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for mentioning this. But what about the other derivatives e.g. d/dx (cosx) ... d/dx (tanx) and etc...?

I have attached an image from a doc which says that "that the derivative results rely on measuring x in radians " so does the radians thing apply to all types of trig derivatives and also all trig questions(unless specified to do it in degrees) ?
    Yes, all trig has to be in radians when calculus is involved [unless we want to add that constant to everything]. My post was just an example for the question you were doing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all trig has to be in radians when calculus is involved [unless we want to add that constant to everything]. My post was just an example for the question you were doing.
    Thanks so much, so when calculus is not involved in trig then you don't have to have the calculator in radians mode?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, so when calculus is not involved in trig then you don't have to have the calculator in radians mode?
    It depends on the question - sometimes trig equations have to be solved in radians [the range will tell you which to work in] and also when you are finding areas of sectors we often work in radians. It should be clear from the question.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the question - sometimes trig equations have to be solved in radians [the range will tell you which to work in] and also when you are finding areas of sectors we often work in radians. It should be clear from the question.
    Thank you very much But it is not clear in this question: They don't mention a specific range and also you are not using calculus in this trig so how do you know that the calculator must be set to radians here specifically? We are only finding the height of the water so why do we set the calculator to radians?

Name:  4.png
Views: 18

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much But it is not clear in this question: They don't mention a specific range and also you are not using calculus in this trig so how do you know that the calculator must be set to radians here specifically? We are only finding the height of the water so why do we set the calculator to radians?

Name:  4.png
Views: 18
    We are going to differentiate and there's no degree symbol - a question wil be in degrees OR radians; here it must be radians.

ReputationRep:
    We are going to differentiate and there's no degree symbol - a question wil be in degrees OR radians; here it must be radians.
    Sorry to be so annoying. But what if the question ends just there (so there is no next part to the question and so we don't differentiate in the next part)... Since they don't tell you to work with degrees or radians, then do you just work with radians because we have got a trig here?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be so annoying. But what if the question ends just there (so there is no next part to the question and so we don't differentiate in the next part)... Since they don't tell you to work with degrees or radians, then do you just work with radians because we have got a trig here?
    t is measured in hours so 0.5t is going to be small [tides go up and down in hours not over several days - try working out some values and see what I mean] and, more importantly, there's no degree symbol in the equation.

ReputationRep:
    t is measured in hours so 0.5t is going to be small [tides go up and down in hours not over several days - try working out some values and see what I mean] and, more importantly, there's no degree symbol in the equation.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I think an exam question would be clearer if it was just part i) so you don't need to worry.

But anyway repeating what was said above, just assume radians unless the question mentions degrees then you can't go wrong. If a question involves calculus then the trig functions will always have inputs measured in radians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I think an exam question would be clearer if it was just part i) so you don't need to worry.

But anyway repeating what was said above, just assume radians unless the question mentions degrees then you can't go wrong. If a question involves calculus then the trig functions will always have inputs measured in radians.
    Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.