Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had any offers yet? This wait is s killer
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    Do not hold your breath. The psychology department does not excel in communication. The are slow to give their offers and that does not improve once you start the course.
    the are better than some departments though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard0328)
    Do not hold your breath. The psychology department does not excel in communication. The are slow to give their offers and that does not improve once you start the course.
    the are better than some departments though
    Thank you for replying. I will take this as a good sign. The wait is a killer, are you already at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeL)
    Thank you for replying. I will take this as a good sign. The wait is a killer, are you already at uni?
    first year psychology student with philosophy and sociology as electives. i didnt get my offer until march last year and by then i had given up hope. we started with 500 students in september and they did struggle to cope with so many but sociology had 50 fewer and they managed it fine. i dont know how many we have now but sociology now has 550 students. they only have so many staff and they are doing their own work (they are employed as researchers) along with marking assignments just now. just to add to the problems, there are strikes starting a week on monday and we have no idea which classes/lectures are cancelled until we turn up to them. no advance notice because they are trying to cause as much disruption as possible so they will be doing no work at all.

ReputationRep:
    first year psychology student with philosophy and sociology as electives. i didnt get my offer until march last year and by then i had given up hope. we started with 500 students in september and they did struggle to cope with so many but sociology had 50 fewer and they managed it fine. i dont know how many we have now but sociology now has 550 students. they only have so many staff and they are doing their own work (they are employed as researchers) along with marking assignments just now. just to add to the problems, there are strikes starting a week on monday and we have no idea which classes/lectures are cancelled until we turn up to them. no advance notice because they are trying to cause as much disruption as possible so they will be doing no work at all.

Thank you for all your information. I got my offer today 😁. Can I ask what is the first year time table like?

ReputationRep:
    3 lectures each week plus 3 lab classes across the semester. 2nd semester is the same.
    Assignments:
    3 x online tests which are 40 questions with multi-choice answers
    1 lab report (1500 words)
    1 essay (1500 words)
    Again, same for the 2nd semester

No end of semester exams

ReputationRep:
    3 lectures each week plus 3 lab classes across the semester. 2nd semester is the same.
    Assignments:
    3 x online tests which are 40 questions with multi-choice answers
    1 lab report (1500 words)
    1 essay (1500 words)
    Again, same for the 2nd semester

No end of semester exams
    Thanks for the reply. So in 3 days a week then? You see I am trying to figure out travel ect as I live in Glasgow. Also what time does class usually start? How have you found the course? Is there good support.

Thank you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeL)
    Thanks for the reply. So in 3 days a week then? You see I am trying to figure out travel ect as I live in Glasgow. Also what time does class usually start? How have you found the course? Is there good support.

Thank you again.
    that is only for psychology. sociology had 3 lectures per week in the first semester (only 2 in the second semester) and philosopy is 2 lectures per week. sociology runs a 2 hour workshop (classroom with 20 - 30 students) once a fortnight and philosophy has weekly classroom seminars.
    my current schedule is this:
    monday: 1300 - 1400 sociology lecture
    tuesday: 1000 - 1100 philosophy seminar, 1200 - 1400 sociology workshop (fortnightly), 1500 - 1600 psychology lecture
    wenesday: 1100 - 1200 philosophy lecture
    thursday: 1000 - 1100 philosophy lecture, 1100 - 1200 sociology lecture, 1500 - 1600 psychology lecture
    friday: 1400 - 1500 psychology lecture, 1500 - 1700 psychology lab class (weeks 2, 5 and 9)
    you may find big gaps during the day between lectures for example next tuesday i have a compulsory philosophy seminar from 1000 - 1100 then nothing until a non-compulsory psychology lecture at 1500.

the level of support varies between departments. some offer lots of support, others are less accommodating and it seems to depend on who is running that particular semester. the level of support has changed (for the better) in this semester in comparison to the first semester. i am personally seeing a bit more because i am a module rep now and therefore i engage with the department through meetings and being the voice for fellow students. i have the opportunity to highlight problems and follow up on solutions

ReputationRep:
    that is only for psychology. sociology had 3 lectures per week in the first semester (only 2 in the second semester) and philosopy is 2 lectures per week. sociology runs a 2 hour workshop (classroom with 20 - 30 students) once a fortnight and philosophy has weekly classroom seminars.
    my current schedule is this:
    monday: 1300 - 1400 sociology lecture
    tuesday: 1000 - 1100 philosophy seminar, 1200 - 1400 sociology workshop (fortnightly), 1500 - 1600 psychology lecture
    wenesday: 1100 - 1200 philosophy lecture
    thursday: 1000 - 1100 philosophy lecture, 1100 - 1200 sociology lecture, 1500 - 1600 psychology lecture
    friday: 1400 - 1500 psychology lecture, 1500 - 1700 psychology lab class (weeks 2, 5 and 9)
    you may find big gaps during the day between lectures for example next tuesday i have a compulsory philosophy seminar from 1000 - 1100 then nothing until a non-compulsory psychology lecture at 1500.

the level of support varies between departments. some offer lots of support, others are less accommodating and it seems to depend on who is running that particular semester. the level of support has changed (for the better) in this semester in comparison to the first semester. i am personally seeing a bit more because i am a module rep now and therefore i engage with the department through meetings and being the voice for fellow students. i have the opportunity to highlight problems and follow up on solutions
    Thank you Richard, you have been so helpful. So did you pick to do the other 2 classes? Also is all the classes around 10am then? If they are that works out perfect in regards to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeL)
    Thank you Richard, you have been so helpful. So did you pick to do the other 2 classes? Also is all the classes around 10am then? If they are that works out perfect in regards to travel.
    i chose to be a module representative to help people get through the course so i am glad to be of service to you.
    the lectures are all set by the various departments. if you have chosen psychology to do your degree then you will have to choose two other subjects from a list of subjects that they see as related to psychology. you can choose different subjects for each semester or (like me) choose to do two subjects for the first 2 years before you begin your actual degree. the first two years do not count towards your degree so they will let you try other things during that time.
    the seminars and chosen by you from a list of times and dates. you pick the ones that suit your own timetable. i would strongly advise you to avoid mondays if you are busy at weekends. there will be reading and possibly preparation for them so i urge you to keep an evening free prior to your seminars so you can do a little reading/answering questions. it usually isnt much and at this stage they have low expectations but some tutors might be a little stricter. some seminars have graded outcomes like the two reports that we had to write over four sociology workshops last semester. we had four topics to choose from and they were pass or fail. passing two was required so it might be an idea to get them out of the way so you can try a third if you need it.
    in psychology you must also accrue 4 participant points by taking part in studies with 4th year students. 1 point is normally half an hour or so as a participant and again, you pick the time slots that suit your timetable.
    it sounds a lot more complicated than it is but we will keep you right

ReputationRep:
    i chose to be a module representative to help people get through the course so i am glad to be of service to you.
    the lectures are all set by the various departments. if you have chosen psychology to do your degree then you will have to choose two other subjects from a list of subjects that they see as related to psychology. you can choose different subjects for each semester or (like me) choose to do two subjects for the first 2 years before you begin your actual degree. the first two years do not count towards your degree so they will let you try other things during that time.
    the seminars and chosen by you from a list of times and dates. you pick the ones that suit your own timetable. i would strongly advise you to avoid mondays if you are busy at weekends. there will be reading and possibly preparation for them so i urge you to keep an evening free prior to your seminars so you can do a little reading/answering questions. it usually isnt much and at this stage they have low expectations but some tutors might be a little stricter. some seminars have graded outcomes like the two reports that we had to write over four sociology workshops last semester. we had four topics to choose from and they were pass or fail. passing two was required so it might be an idea to get them out of the way so you can try a third if you need it.
    in psychology you must also accrue 4 participant points by taking part in studies with 4th year students. 1 point is normally half an hour or so as a participant and again, you pick the time slots that suit your timetable.
    it sounds a lot more complicated than it is but we will keep you right
    Thank you Richard, the main thing for me like I say is the travel if the classes start around 10am then this wont be a problem. I am hoping to go into psycology/counselling what are the subjects you can pick from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeeL)
    Thank you Richard, the main thing for me like I say is the travel if the classes start around 10am then this wont be a problem. I am hoping to go into psycology/counselling what are the subjects you can pick from?
    http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-...es/psychology/

Psychology can be studied with:CourseUCAS CodeBiologyCC18Business StudiesCN81English StudiesQC38European Language (French or Spanish)CR89Film and MediaCP83Human Resource ManagementNC68MarketingCN85Mathe maticsCG81PhilosophyCV85Politics LC28SociologyCL83Sports StudiesCC68
    counselling is very different. you need to do a 12 week course at level 5 to give you access to the 1 year level 7 course. both of these require fees to be paid as counselling is not funded and course fees vary by quite a lot. a charity in falkirk charges £1200 for the level 7 course but West Lothian College asks for £850 so shopping around is advisable. even then they are very hard to gain access to since they fill up very quickly. the level 7 course gives you access to the 2 year diploma.

counselling is my contingency plan but COSCA does not regard a psychotherapist and a counsellor to be different. i have spoken to them before and they are not aware of anyone doing what i am doing, at least not north of the border

ReputationRep:
    http://www.stir.ac.uk/undergraduate-...es/psychology/

Psychology can be studied with:CourseUCAS CodeBiologyCC18Business StudiesCN81English StudiesQC38European Language (French or Spanish)CR89Film and MediaCP83Human Resource ManagementNC68MarketingCN85Mathe maticsCG81PhilosophyCV85Politics LC28SociologyCL83Sports StudiesCC68
    counselling is very different. you need to do a 12 week course at level 5 to give you access to the 1 year level 7 course. both of these require fees to be paid as counselling is not funded and course fees vary by quite a lot. a charity in falkirk charges £1200 for the level 7 course but West Lothian College asks for £850 so shopping around is advisable. even then they are very hard to gain access to since they fill up very quickly. the level 7 course gives you access to the 2 year diploma.

counselling is my contingency plan but COSCA does not regard a psychotherapist and a counsellor to be different. i have spoken to them before and they are not aware of anyone doing what i am doing, at least not north of the border
    Yeah I intend on taking the cosca training at the end of March it will take me up to September. Thank you for everything. When do you pick your timetable? Anything else you think i should know x

ReputationRep:
    you will get access to canvas with your student email address and you will find yourself overwhelmed with information there. Each subject has its own section under their code. I assume they will use PSYU911 for the first semester again (psychology). There are lots of books that you can buy but they will tell you any books that are actually required for the course. I had one book on the core reading list but I strongly recommend joining the Stirling University secondhand books page on facebook. There will be students selling books cheap that you need or can use. There is a bookshop in the atrium and to give a little perspective, my philosophy book would cost £111 on amazon. The bookshop sold the book for £50 but I got a copy for £30. Books can get expensive so keep your eyes open around August and September to save a lot of money.
    you will primarily need to know the Cottrell building since the psychology department occupies quite a lot of it. Rooms are all coded which sounds a lot harder than it actually is. For example, our common room is 3A94. 3rd floor, corridor A, room 94. Bear in mind that the university is on a hill so the 3rd floor is only one floor up because the main corridor is actually the 2nd floor even though it has ground floor access. The linking corridors are W, V etc so they are much shorter than A or B which run parallel to each other

ReputationRep:
    you are more than welcome to give me a shout if you need anything. I dont bite and i might be giving tours soon anyway (job interview tomorrow to become a student ambassador) so showing you around would not be a problem. I have some documents that i can email to you when the time comes. I go through sections of the and transcribe the terminology into topic specific dictionaries. The are a useful quick reference guide for the online tests and other people have used them too. I keep them all as word documents for future reference so they are easy to pass on to people

ReputationRep:
    secondhand book page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/765656846812016/
    a small group of psychology students with those files that i mentioned
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/223907931479751/

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all your help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.