Turn on thread page Beta

In french, my teacher told me i needed to add more complex structures watch

ReputationRep:
    My french teacher told me that to get full mark i would need to add more complex structures. How could i add more complex structures to my sentences and if you can using any example at all so i can understand.

ReputationRep:
    1) Use more difficult forms of verbs so :

apres avoir regarde l'heure = after having looked at .the time.....
    apres etre arrive (e, es.ees) according to the gender etc of person arriving........ de bonne heure = after having arrived early ( This will get you lots of points as it's an etre verb.

j'ai vu.... I saw....( perfect)
    Le lendemain j'avais rencontre ... the day before I had met... ( pluperfect)

Il y a une semaine J'etais alle ( e ) en vacances....... et le premier jour je me suis leve(e) a six heures et demie = A week ago I had gone on holiday and the first day I got up at half past six. ( plupertfect and perfect of reflexive verb )

En passant devant sa maison il a apercu sa soeur qui parlait avec sa copine = passing in front of his house he noticed his sister who was talking to her school friend ( present participle and perfect tense or irregular verb).

Si j'etais plus intelligent, je reussirais = If I were mpre intelligent I would succeed ( Imperfect and conditional)

2) Learn a list of 'fancy phrases' that can be used in almost any essay / conversation you have

D'abord ( at first), puis or ensuite ( then ), enfin or finalement ( at last), d'un coup ( suddenly), a mon avis ( in my opinion ) qu'est-ce que vous en pensez? = what do you think about it? peut-etre - perhaps

de temps en temps = from time to time il se peut que = it is possible that , il faut travailler dur pour reussir = you have to work hard to succeed

Il / elle a tort = he/ she is wrong il/ elle avait raison = he/she was right, de plus en plus = more and more, peu a peu = gradually

If you keep using these phrases you will know them off by heart . ( Science says you need to repeat a phrase 30 times in order to lear it).

If you have a book with vocabulary / phrases at the back, pick out some phrases and try and add to this list everyday. Learning languages is all about little and often. You need to keep a list of these useful phrases in a little vocabulary book , keep adding to them and look at them EVERY DAY. 5-10 minutes a day and you'll have cracked it. Preferably last thing at night and your unconscious mind will do the work for you while you sleep!

When you do a piece of writing or prepare for an oral exam, you should have in your head the phrases which you want to get in / show off to the examiner. It's relatively easy in a written exam as you can note them down as soon as the exam starts then you won't forget them and the job is how to get as many in as p;ossible.

With a plan you won't panic but treat it like a puzzzle- I must get at least 10-20 in.. Even in an oral exam you should be thinking how many of my 'fancy phrases' can I use.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.