Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devenm96)
    This is such a brilliant insight? You work at a law firm? By getting applicants what do you exactly mean?
    Used to work at various firms, still work with some.

Firms receive applications from candidates. The number of those applications from different universities varies a lot depending on the firm and the university.

For instance, for years I struggled to get applications from Leeds students when I worked in a MC firm. Their application numbers were shockingly low, mainly because there was this false perception that MC firms were not interested in Leeds students. That had improved in recent years though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Used to work at various firms, still work with some.

Firms receive applications from candidates. The number of those applications from different universities varies a lot depending on the firm and the university.

For instance, for years I struggled to get applications from Leeds students when I worked in a MC firm. Their application numbers were shockingly low, mainly because there was this false perception that MC firms were not interested in Leeds students. That had improved in recent years though.
    So there's no bias for any particular universities apart from Oxbridge right?
    If I am to say that I get good scores at any of the 3 discussed universities I get a shot at the big firms just like a UCL and Durham student would?(Because I got rejected from those two)

*Also which university (Nottingham vs QMUL vs Leeds) has the best law course? Because I'm being told by many people to look at the modules and choose. Honestly I am not able to find much difference looking at same names of subjects on three different websites. So if you could help me with that too, it would be wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    So there's no bias for any particular universities apart from Oxbridge right?
    If I am to say that I get good scores at any of the 3 discussed universities I get a shot at the big firms just like a UCL and Durham student would?(Because I got rejected from those two)
    There’s no bias for Oxbridge.

No - good academics alone will not secure you a TC. But that would be the case if you went to QM, Nottingham, Leeds, Durham, UCL or Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There’s no bias for Oxbridge.

No - good academics alone will not secure you a TC. But that would be the case if you went to QM, Nottingham, Leeds, Durham, UCL or Oxbridge.
    *Also which university (Nottingham vs QMUL vs Leeds) has the best law course? Because I'm being told by many people to look at the modules and choose. Honestly I am not able to find much difference looking at same names of subjects on three different websites. So if you could help me with that too, it would be wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    What is the best law course is subjective. I have never studied law, and no one will have done so at all three universities so it is impossible for anyone to say what is the best one out of the three.

Look at the different opportunities you could have with each university. The first and second year modules will be similar, but you will see some differences in the third year. If you want to do a year abroad, then look at the options they have there. Look at whether you can do things like take optional modules from outside of the faculty. For Instance, if you want to learn a language you can sometimes do a module that allows you to do that. I know some universities are offering optional modules on things like coding. But these all vary from course to course and university to university.

Look at how the course is structured. How much does your first or second year count towards your final grade. Look at the details of how key modules are assessed - is it more exam based or essay/problem based? Are you someone who is better at exams or essays, if so think about which would work better for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    What is the best law course is subjective. I have never studied law, and no one will have done so at all three universities so it is impossible for anyone to say what is the best one out of the three.

Look at the different opportunities you could have with each university. The first and second year modules will be similar, but you will see some differences in the third year. If you want to do a year abroad, then look at the options they have there. Look at whether you can do things like take optional modules from outside of the faculty. For Instance, if you want to learn a language you can sometimes do a module that allows you to do that. I know some universities are offering optional modules on things like coding. But these all vary from course to course and university to university.

Look at how the course is structured. How much does your first or second year count towards your final grade. Look at the details of how key modules are assessed - is it more exam based or essay/problem based? Are you someone who is better at exams or essays, if so think about which would work better for you.
    Yes, that makes a lot of sense.
    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience! It has really really been a huge help!

ReputationRep:
    J-SP

I have another question.
    As I have been going through other threads about the 3 law schools (Nott , Leeds and QMUL) I have seen that at Nott it is really difficult to get a 2:1 compared to other unis.

Being an international student, my chances of a TC are more difficult than UK students obviously. So going to a university which would help me in every way to get a TC is my top priority.

Now on researching the modules and courses of the 3 unis, I found them more or less the same giving quite many options. So all three are okay on that front.

In terms of prestige in the eyes of law firms I see them as Nott / QMUL > Leeds (please correct me if I’m wrong.

All of this brings me to where I could get a 2:1 or a 1st more easily? As I have heard Nott is very harsh in awarding 2:1 and so is QMUL. Is any of this true?

Secondly, comparing Leeds vs Nott where could I get more work experience?

Please answer, it would help me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    J-SP

I have another question.
    As I have been going through other threads about the 3 law schools (Nott , Leeds and QMUL) I have seen that at Nott it is really difficult to get a 2:1 compared to other unis.

Being an international student, my chances of a TC are more difficult than UK students obviously. So going to a university which would help me in every way to get a TC is my top priority.

Now on researching the modules and courses of the 3 unis, I found them more or less the same giving quite many options. So all three are okay on that front.

In terms of prestige in the eyes of law firms I see them as Nott / QMUL > Leeds (please correct me if I’m wrong.

All of this brings me to where I could get a 2:1 or a 1st more easily? As I have heard Nott is very harsh in awarding 2:1 and so is QMUL. Is any of this true?

Secondly, comparing Leeds vs Nott where could I get more work experience?

Please answer, it would help me a lot.
    I don’t know enough about their respective grading systems to comment on that. Nottingham has had a reputation of having or or two tricky first year modules that result in lower grades, and even the faculty sending letters out to recruiters to mention they should consider that.

But it clearly can’t be that difficult to get a 2.1 or above at Nottingham - plenty of people manage it and go on to be successful at securing a training contract.

I’d say you were wrong about the prestige. They are all equal in my eyes.

You get work experience, your university doesn’t support you directly with that unless you do a placement year (which none of these universities do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I don’t know enough about their respective grading systems to comment on that. Nottingham has had a reputation of having or or two tricky first year modules that result in lower grades, and even the faculty sending letters out to recruiters to mention they should consider that.

But it clearly can’t be that difficult to get a 2.1 or above at Nottingham - plenty of people manage it and go on to be successful at securing a training contract.

I’d say you were wrong about the prestige. They are all equal in my eyes.

You get work experience, your university doesn’t support you directly with that unless you do a placement year (which none of these universities do).
    So will that letter count for a lot or am I better off at Leeds where my efforts will get me better results than at Nott?

Also I didn’t quite understand the placement year term? Can you explain that?

ReputationRep:
    J-SP
    Okay, so hypothetically speaking,
    Situation 1 - I get a 2:2 with a letter from Notts saying consider the difference in difficulty vs Getting a 2:1 from Leeds - what are my chances of getting a TC being an international student.

Situation 2- I get a 2:1 from Notts with that letter vs a 2:1 from any other RG like Durham, Bristol, etc.? Now what would my chances be?

ReputationRep:
    So will that letter count for a lot or am I better off at Leeds where my efforts will get me better results than at Nott?

Also I didn’t quite understand the placement year term? Can you explain that?
    No the letter won’t count at all for you. It is only for past intakes this has happened - it doesn’t mean it will be the same for your intake/cohort.

Some universities offer four year degrees where you do the third year as a placement year. This means working at one or two employers for the year, and that Work placement contributes to your academic grade. They are more common in subjects outside of law, but some universities like Aston and Surrey offer legal industrial placement programmes.

ReputationRep:
    J-SP
    Okay, so hypothetically speaking,
    Situation 1 - I get a 2:2 with a letter from Notts saying consider the difference in difficulty vs Getting a 2:1 from Leeds - what are my chances of getting a TC being an international student.

Situation 2- I get a 2:1 from Notts with that letter vs a 2:1 from any other RG like Durham, Bristol, etc.? Now what would my chances be?
    You are now over valuing the importance of the letter. The letter has only happened in the past when there have been issues with particular modules - it does not mean it will happen in your year.

Even if it did, it is only one module out of 4-6. You’d still be expected to get good grades in the other modules, and then have a strong application form elsewhere.

Your chances are not defined by the university you attend. Your chances are defined by what YOU do - not just academically, but in terms of work experience, extra curricular activities, how well you write, how you can present evidence of pursuing the career, how you can showcase your skill set.

It is your own drive that gets you there. The only way a university can help is creating opportunities to make it easier to obtain these things. All three universities are similar in that respect, although in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am also an international student with similar struggles.

I have received offers from:
    QMUL, Birmingham, Manchester, and Newcastle. (awaiting Warwick's reply)

How would British rank on employability (in the UK) and reputation of the universities if I would like to practice law? (as I am not sure which one should I firm or insurance)

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicepinky)
    Hello, I am also an international student with similar struggles.

I have received offers from:
    QMUL, Birmingham, Manchester, and Newcastle. (awaiting Warwick's reply)

How would British rank on employability (in the UK) and reputation of the universities if I would like to practice law? (as I am not sure which one should I firm or insurance)

Thank you!
    There will be employability stats available if you look in the right places. But those are just high level stats - the number of people residing in the UK deemed to be in graduate level employment. It doesn’t say anything about what that work is and the definition of what is graduate level is highly questionable (both too higha a benchmark in some instances and too low in others).

Generally speaking, the four are all comparable.

Some may argue that Newcastle is slightly lower than the other three, but if you wanted to stay in the North East to work, then Newcastle would be easier in terms of employability than QMUL or Birmingham. All three universities are targeted by law firms. If you are interested in legal careers, then go and look at the following:

1) How many firms/Chambers sponsor their law society and the type of firms that sponsor them - only takes a view of their website or Facebook page to get an indication

2) which firms/Chambers attended their law fair

This will give you an indication of how “targeted” then university is, although that doesn’t give you any indication of your own employability chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There will be employability stats available if you look in the right places. But those are just high level stats - the number of people residing in the UK deemed to be in graduate level employment. It doesn’t say anything about what that work is and the definition of what is graduate level is highly questionable (both too higha a benchmark in some instances and too low in others).

Generally speaking, the four are all comparable.

Some may argue that Newcastle is slightly lower than the other three, but if you wanted to stay in the North East to work, then Newcastle would be easier in terms of employability than QMUL or Birmingham. All three universities are targeted by law firms. If you are interested in legal careers, then go and look at the following:

1) How many firms/Chambers sponsor their law society and the type of firms that sponsor them - only takes a view of their website or Facebook page to get an indication

2) which firms/Chambers attended their law fair

This will give you an indication of how “targeted” then university is, although that doesn’t give you any indication of your own employability chances.
    Thank you for the great tip.

How about the reputation of their respective faculty? In my place, it seems that Manchester and Birmingham are more prestigious. What would be the situation in the UK?

And how should I interpret the fluctuating ranking of QMUL in different league tables? I understand that QMUL is a wonderful school, it gave me a higher offer too. It just confuses me when I saw it to be the 3rd law school right under Oxbridge in Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the great tip.

How about the reputation of their respective faculty? In my place, it seems that Manchester and Birmingham are more prestigious. What would be the situation in the UK?

And how should I interpret the fluctuating ranking of QMUL in different league tables? I understand that QMUL is a wonderful school, it gave me a higher offer too. It just confuses me when I saw it to be the 3rd law school right under Oxbridge in Guardian.
    From a London city law firm’s perspective, I think the four are comparable (as already stated), maybe Newcastle is edged out slightly but the other three I really wouldn’t be able to say which was more “prestigious” - I personally think they are about the same. Newcastle is probably only edged out as there are fewer Newcastle applicants applying to city law firms compared to Manchester, Birmingham and QM.

Most firms don’t really care about presitige on the granular level you (and others expect).

QM’s law faculty is probably one of its most reputable. Other departments are not so strong. QM will vary depending on the weighting the metrics the rankings use. It’s strength comes in research in particular areas like international arbitration.

If the reputation of the university in your home country is important, then of course factor that in. But in the UK there isn’t really a difference between a law faculty rated 15th and the next as 31st (difference between QM and Manchester in the good university guide for LLBs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    From a London city law firm’s perspective, I think the four are comparable (as already stated), maybe Newcastle is edged out slightly but the other three I really wouldn’t be able to say which was more “prestigious” - I personally think they are about the same. Newcastle is probably only edged out as there are fewer Newcastle applicants applying to city law firms compared to Manchester, Birmingham and QM.

Most firms don’t really care about presitige on the granular level you (and others expect).

QM’s law faculty is probably one of its most reputable. Other departments are not so strong. QM will vary depending on the weighting the metrics the rankings use. It’s strength comes in research in particular areas like international arbitration.

If the reputation of the university in your home country is important, then of course factor that in. But in the UK there isn’t really a difference between a law faculty rated 15th and the next as 31st (difference between QM and Manchester in the good university guide for LLBs).
    QM seems appealing to me in this case, once again thank you for the information.

I am struggling between Birmingham and Manchester, as for which one to insurance. I like Birm's warm campus a lot, but my parents prefer Manchester (more famous in our place). Any help? Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to visit the school before making the decision.

ReputationRep:
    QM seems appealing to me in this case, once again thank you for the information.

I am struggling between Birmingham and Manchester, as for which one to insurance. I like Birm's warm campus a lot, but my parents prefer Manchester (more famous in our place). Any help? Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to visit the school before making the decision.
    I can't help at all.

They are very similar universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

International arbitration, as a specialism, is more relevant at postgrad. They have an actual LLM in Int'l Arb. I mean, this pretty common sensical because it is an advanced topic

At undergrad, arbitration is not offered. My second-year commercial module included some arbitration, but QMUL's Commercial and Consumer Law doesn't even include a mention. Not mentioned in International Commercial Transactions. I think the only way for a QMUL undergrad to do international arbitration would be to undertake a dissertation on it, but that would be quite pointless without advanced understanding of other commercial topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    International arbitration, as a specialism, is more relevant at postgrad. They have an actual LLM in Int'l Arb. I mean, this pretty common sensical because it is an advanced topic

At undergrad, arbitration is not offered. My second-year commercial module included some arbitration, but QMUL's Commercial and Consumer Law doesn't even include a mention. Not mentioned in International Commercial Transactions. I think the only way for a QMUL undergrad to do international arbitration would be to undertake a dissertation on it, but that would be quite pointless without advanced understanding of other commercial topics.
    Yes, sorry should have made clearer this is far more relevant to the PG population than someone considering a UG course. I have mentioned it in other posts, but for some reason thought this was the same thread. It will affect some rankings though, depending on how much weighting things like research are factored in, which the question asked to clarify why rankings were more inconsistent for QM.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.