Turn on thread page Beta

Winter Olympics 2018 thread watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In two days the Winter Olympics start so here is a thread for the occassion, what event are you looking forward to the most?

I will be interested to see how the female Jamacian bobsleigh team get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    In two days the Winter Olympics start so here is a thread for the occassion, what event are you looking forward to the most?

OMG yesss!!!😍😍😍

Normal sports and Olympics are whatever to me, but I loveee winter stuff just because snow and mountains are gorgeous plus lots of amazing memories😊😊

My favourite events are basically anything skiing or snowboarding ones but all the others are great too!

Haha are we ready for "Cool Runnings 2"?😝
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

I love watching the snowboarding, skiing and curling
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember if it's an event in the winter olympics but the snow boarding when they do tricks and go down what looks like a long extended half pipe is always cool
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So predictable Rock Fan

But I'm not sure really, I like it in general just because there's things you don't normally see. They're all pretty cool to watch tbh
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I always get so excited for the Olympics; I especially love events like the Biathalon, curling and the snowboard half pipe?

Bit of a random mix, but I'm generally rather enthralled by snow sports (even though I'm not very good at them myself)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GeoJones94)
    I can't remember if it's an event in the winter olympics but the snow boarding when they do tricks and go down what looks like a long extended half pipe is always cool
    I think it is called the Luge.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Looking forward to the skiing mostly. I do tend to follow the winter sports (skiing, luge, biathlon) generally over the winter.

I really don't understand how curling works one bit. No matter how much I watched it from Sochi.

ReputationRep:
    The luge is pretty cool but I just googled what I was thinking of and it's the "Half-Pipe" Snowboarding.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    And the Nigerian women's bobsleigh team too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Luge is like skeleton bobsleigh, but you go feet first.

ReputationRep:
    I see Katie Ormerod is doing her damnedest to not take part in the games...

I was flying back to the UK from a ski holiday last Friday and bumped into some of the early lot of Team GB making their way out to SK. Looked pretty cheerful. It's definitely the games I wish I could get involved in.

Wish there was a winter equivalent of the decathlon... :moon:

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Looking forward to the skiing mostly. I do tend to follow the winter sports (skiing, luge, biathlon) generally over the winter.

I really don't understand how curling works one bit. No matter how much I watched it from Sochi.
    Crown green bowls. But on ice.

That's basically it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Luge is like skeleton bobsleigh, but you go feet first.
    I personally love Kate Hansen's TED talk about her trip to the Winter Olympics competing in the luge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B056xz8Ztlk
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Crown green bowls. But on ice.
    Whilst cleaning the floor.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wish there was a winter equivalent of the decathlon... :moon:
    Hmm, maybe 6 events:

DAY 1
    Speed skating (500m)
    Luge or Skeleton ?
    Slalom

DAY2
    Nordic (1500m)
    Slopestyle
    Downhill

Although spectating logistics could be problematic...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, maybe 5 events:

Speed skating (500m)
    Luge or Skeleton ?
    Slalom
    Slopestyle
    Downhill
    Nah, can easily get 10:

Ski slalom
    Ski giant slalom
    Ski cross
    10k XC ski
    Snowboard half pipe
    Snowboard freestyle
    500m speed skate
    1000m speed skate
    Luge
    Ski jump

Aside from the ski jump and the top end of the snowboard stuff (I can board, but not that well), I'd be a good prospect for that lot!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nah, can easily get 10:

Ski slalom
    Ski giant slalom
    Ski cross
    10k XC ski
    Snowboard half pipe
    Snowboard freestyle
    500m speed skate
    1000m speed skate
    Luge
    Ski jump

Aside from the ski jump and the top end of the snowboard stuff (I can board, but not that well), I'd be a good prospect for that lot!
    Of course there's plenty of events but, for example, there's not a huge difference between your first 3, and the 2 speed skates. And excelling at 6 quite different skills seems more "interesting"?

I think downhill has to be there. It's the blue riband event (like 100m in athletics).

I do really like the idea of finishing with a ski jump though. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there's plenty of events but, for example, there's not a huge difference between your first 3, and the 2 speed skates. And excelling at 6 quite different skills seems more "interesting"?

I think downhill has to be there. It's the blue riband event (like 100m in athletics).

I do really like the idea of finishing with a ski jump though. lol.
    Yes, but when you look at the track and field decathlon you get multiples of the same thing, several running events, several jumping, several throwing... A similar mix isn't unreasonable.

And there's a huge difference between GS/slalom and ski cross.

You'd want a big downhill event, sure. But should it be GS or 'just' slalom?
    Ski cross has to be in there because it's a ridiculous but awesome spectacle (and good fun to do).
    If you have the endurance XC skiing, then you can have the sprint of the short track skating to counter it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes, but when you look at the track and field decathlon you get multiples of the same thing, several running events, several jumping, several throwing... A similar mix isn't unreasonable.

And there's a huge difference between GS/slalom and ski cross.

You'd want a big downhill event, sure. But should it be GS or 'just' slalom?
    Ski cross has to be in there because it's a ridiculous but awesome spectacle (and good fun to do).
    If you have the endurance XC skiing, then you can have the sprint of the short track skating to counter it.
    I think the big downhill event is the downhill

And between slalom and GS I think slalom is the better. GS is sort of a mix of downhill & slalom anyway. Super-G certainly is.

Agree about a long nordic ski event plus short skating sprint. But short track is more of a contact sport, so proper long track is probably less of a lottery.

By the way, there *is* a combined event in alpine. It's downhill + slalom, and is in the Olympics.

ReputationRep:
    I think the big downhill event is the downhill

And between slalom and GS I think slalom is the better. GS is sort of a mix of downhill & slalom anyway. Super-G certainly is.

Agree about a long nordic ski event plus short skating sprint. But short track is more of a contact sport, so proper long track is probably less of a lottery.

By the way, there *is* a combined event in alpine. It's downhill + slalom, and is in the Olympics.
    The lottery is the fun part. Hence ski cross.
    Definitely wouldn't want too many / any events in there based on artistic merit, hence why freestyle, half pipe or even ice dancing wouldn't be great.

Combined wouldn't work in a multi-event format. You'd want to keep it simple. Similar to keeping the XC, but not having biathlon.

Slalom is ok. More technical, less spectacle. Though you can do the parallel slalom. That would work. That version isn't currently in the Olympics, but it is on the world cup circuit.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.