Turn on thread page Beta

Winter Olympics 2018 thread watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The lottery is the fun part. Hence ski cross.
    Definitely wouldn't want too many / any events in there based on artistic merit, hence why freestyle, half pipe or even ice dancing wouldn't be great.

Combined wouldn't work in a multi-event format. You'd want to keep it simple. Similar to keeping the XC, but not having biathlon.

Slalom is ok. More technical, less spectacle. Though you can do the parallel slalom. That would work. That version isn't currently in the Olympics, but it is on the world cup circuit.
    Parallel slalom is excellent - that Stockholm one last weekend was pretty fun. But not sure the format would work for a "snowathlon" - any event would have to be simply against the clock otherwise you can't use those ridiculously complicated decathlon event point tables, oh...

Agree about minimising judged events.

(And I wasn't suggesting combined for a snowathlon, just that it's already a thing.)

ReputationRep:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Parallel slalom is excellent - that Stockholm one last weekend was pretty fun. But not sure the format would work for a "snowathlon" - any event would have to be simply against the clock otherwise you can't use those ridiculously complicated decathlon event point tables, oh...

Agree about minimising judged events.

(And I wasn't suggesting combined for a snowathlon, just that it's already a thing.)
    I think it could. You can still give the points based on the time, you just get the spectacle (and convenience) of two skiers teaching at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I see Katie Ormerod is doing her damnedest to not take part in the games...
    Called it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42993893
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Fox Corner)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great Britain usually medal in women's curling - the question is usually whether it's bronze or silver!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wow, breaks her wrist on Wednesday, then her heel on Thursday.

I think someone is trying to tell her something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Buy the Olympics theme song, "The Champion" by Queen of Country anti-Trump gay rights advocate deep red small town farm vegan Grammy winning singer-songwriter back-to-back Entertainer of the Year multi-time CMA hostess CARRIE UNDERWOOD featuring Ludacris!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Me trying to drag Fox Corner away from the bar on a Friday night
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love watching the curling. It's such a great tactical game and you can pick up the rules just by watching a match. It's pretty much the only thing I actively watch from the Winter Olympics, although I do like to watch the ice skating on occasion too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)

Me trying to drag Fox Corner away from the bar on a Friday night
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Puddles the Monkey skating away from our rubbish
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Is anyone watching the opening ceremony? North and South Korea put on a united front.

ReputationRep:
    I'm following the BBC live text while pretending to work. But it's Friday so nobody's in the office.

It'll never top the 2012 opening ceremony, and nobody I know was personally involved in this one (unlike Sochi, or the last Commonwealth Games), so not that bothered. Would rather just watch the action.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Is anyone watching the opening ceremony? North and South Korea put on a united front.
    Imagine.... my ears....

And there's very little applause or involvement from the audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel for Katie Ormerod. I've only started following snowboarding and other winter sports a bit in the run up to the Olympics but there was talk of her taking home a medal or two. It's hard to imagine training for years to build up to the pinnacle of your sport, then to get injured 72 hours before you compete meaning you have to pull out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42998088

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Imagine.... my ears....

And there's very little applause or involvement from the audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Probably the frostbite...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    In two days the Winter Olympics start so here is a thread for the occassion, what event are you looking forward to the most?

I will be interested to see how the female Jamacian bobsleigh team get on.
    It started. Really enjoyed the opening ceremony.

We shall get more than, 10 🥇
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Tonga flag bearer... at one of the coldest ever opening ceremonies.

Name:  rs_634x1024-180209061221-634-Tonga-Flag-Bearer-JR-020918-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  61.6 KB
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I personally confess that I have not a big interest in Winter Olympics 2018. I tend to follow the news around this sport event.

ReputationRep:
    Super excited for the snowboarding, is probably gonna be awesome

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.