Turn on thread page Beta

Winter Olympics 2018 thread watch

ReputationRep:
    I honestly feel so sorry for Elise Christie, the first crash in 500m wasn't even her fault, and despite what she said I feel that psychologically it really affected her in the other races, I hop she doesn't develop a stigma with the Olympics and comes back fighting in 4 years time!!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by midiwombatz)
    I honestly feel so sorry for Elise Christie, the first crash in 500m wasn't even her fault, and despite what she said I feel that psychologically it really affected her in the other races, I hop she doesn't develop a stigma with the Olympics and comes back fighting in 4 years time!!
    I think long track perhaps. Short track is too much of a lottery (as she's found).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I think long track perhaps. Short track is too much of a lottery (as she's found).
    As she's found...at the Olympics.

Outside of the Olympics, she's a world record holder and multiple world champion. Makes it seem much more like there's a mental issue wrt her attitude on the biggest stage (arguably the only one her country actually cares about). Her being made the face of the games in this country probably hasn't helped that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Drewski)
    As she's found...at the Olympics.

Outside of the Olympics, she's a world record holder and multiple world champion. Makes it seem much more like there's a mental issue wrt her attitude on the biggest stage (arguably the only one her country actually cares about). Her being made the face of the games in this country probably hasn't helped that.
    True, but at least you get 2 chances every 4 years to be a world champ. Oh hold it's every year for short track.

So yes the "once in four years" thing is clearly the factor for her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    True, but at least you get 2 chances every 4 years to be a world champ. Oh hold it's every year for short track.

So yes the "once in four years" thing is clearly the factor for her.
    And much had been made about her "failures" in Sochi, which won't have helped.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Our resume days before the end of the olympic games? I guess the greatest surprise at Olympia 2018 (so far!) was surely the gold medal for Ledecka. A snowboarder who wins in Super-G competition, a miracle what she has not even expected for herself. Winners who are not expecting to win and enjoy this triumph with pure and unbelieveable joy are the best ones.

ReputationRep:
    5 🥉 for Great Britain?

Good, but can/could do better
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    5 🥉 for Great Britain?

Good, but can/could do better
    It's 3 bronzes, 1 gold. 4 in total for our most successful winter Olympics since 1924.

That's not bad for an entirely non-winter nation...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's 3 bronzes, 1 gold. 4 in total for our most successful winter Olympics since 1924.

That's not bad for an entirely non-winter nation...
    Think the same. For non-winter sports nation with no expectations, it is a good yield. Expect more from the British olympic team for the summer games in 2020.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What does everyone reckon to the last couple of days then?

ReputationRep:
    Omg Germany in the Ice Hockey final for the first time ever! First medal since Bronze in 1932.

ReputationRep:
    Devastated about the result of the Canada vs Germany hockey match.
    Now that Canada is gone I have nobody to be rooting for in Hockey.
    Darn.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Omg Germany in the Ice Hockey final for the first time ever! First medal since Bronze in 1932.
    Did not the German team win the Bronze in 1976 too?! yeah, I can't believe it too. Germany is not an Ice Hockey nation at all, but after beating Sweden and Canada - two great Ice Hockey nations - they are in the final! that is the miracle of the year in sports in my opinion, no matter how this final ends. It is as if an African squad would win a world cup in football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Did not the German team win the Bronze in 1976 too?! yeah, I can't believe it too. Germany is not an Ice Hockey nation at all, but after beating Sweden and Canada - two great Ice Hockey nations - they are in the final! that is the miracle of the year in sports in my opinion, no matter how this final ends. It is as if an African squad would win a world cup in football.
    First unified, they'll mean.

And it's a bit of a fake competition this year, the NHL refused to release their players, so every 'major' nation is playing it's reserves or kids.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First unified, they'll mean.

And it's a bit of a fake competition this year, the NHL refused to release their players, so every 'major' nation is playing it's reserves or kids.
    I see. So it is the same as in football for the summer games? in this olympic competition it is just allowed to select three players over 23 years. In other words: the best players are not on ice because of a similar regulation, right?

ReputationRep:
    I see. So it is the same as in football for the summer games? in this olympic competition it is just allowed to select three players over 23 years. In other words: the best players are not on ice because of a similar regulation, right?
    Not quite, no.

They're all available to be selected - the countries can put out the strongest team they like. But the NHL teams wouldn't let the players go.

ReputationRep:
    True they did win two Bronze, maybe 32 was the first. And haha yea, so true. They will certainly be crass underdogs against Russia. Although maybe they luck out anyway, and one Russian ends up being doped, then the whole team gets disqualified.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by yudothis)
    True they did win two Bronze, maybe 32 was the first. And haha yea, so true. They will certainly be crass underdogs against Russia. Although maybe they luck out anyway, and one Russian ends up being doped, then the whole team gets disqualified.
    I though that the Russian nation as a whole is disqualified and not allowed to compete at the olympic games? I am confused.

Not quite, no.

They're all available to be selected - the countries can put out the strongest team they like. But the NHL teams wouldn't let the players go.
    Because they are too important and valuable players to let they go just to fight for medals at olympia?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I though that the Russian nation as a whole is disqualified and not allowed to compete at the olympic games? I am confused.

Because they are too important and valuable players to let they go just to fight for medals at olympia?
    The OAR team are Olympic Athletes from Russia. In theory they are the 'clean' Russians. There was talk they would be allowed to march again under the Russian flag at the closing ceremony but with 2 dopers thats now very unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Basically, yes. The team owners didn't want a large chunk of their star players to leave, for them to keep paying their wages, but have them get injured without benefiting their teams. They also didn't want the league to stop for 3 weeks. So they decided they wouldn't release them.

It's as if the premier league and la Liga both decided not to let any footballers go to the world cup.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.