Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M468 - Maldives Motion, CatusStarbrightThe political situation in the Maldives is worsening. On Monday evening, the Maldivian President declared a state of emergency – which allows the banning of public gatherings and permits security forces to make arrests - and suspended a lot of constitutional rights in response to a ruling by the Supreme Court on Friday, which ordered the release of a group of opposition politicians. It also ruled that ex-President Nasheed's trial in 2015 had been unconstitutional.

The Maldivian police commissioner said he would enforce the court's ruling and was sacked in response by President Yameen’s government. The army has now been ordered to resist any attempt to impeach or remove President Yameen and police have arrested two judges. There are also concerns over media freedom in the country at this time.

This House condemns the actions of the Maldivian President, and calls on the government to urge him to lift the state of emergency. It is unacceptable for the Maldivian government to disregard the rule of law and to place such limits on freedom of expression and of assembly. This House believes that the government should place political and democratic pressure on the Maldivian President and consider sanctions if the situation does not improve.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely Aye. Have been watching what is going on there the past few days and its shocking. This has my support.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As a bit of an update (I wrote this yesterday and the situation is a developing one): the Maldives Supreme Court has today U-turned on their decision to free the opposition politicians "in light of the concerns raised by the president." Clearly this is in reaction to the arrests of two of its judges.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We're talking about a country where officially everybody is a Muslim and the few non Muslims that actually exist are second class citizens with basically no rights.

I await consistency from the government and thus near unanimous condemnation of this motion as interference in the internal affairs of a foreign state.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Aye. I condemn the actions of the Maldivian president.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Aye. I condemn the actions of the Maldivian president.
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Absolutely Aye. Have been watching what is going on there the past few days and its shocking. This has my support.
    May I ask both of you why this is worth of our intervention but Iranian human rights abuses aren't?

Same goes I imagine to PetrosAC 04MR17 Afcwimbledon2 among others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    May I ask both of you why this is worth of our intervention but Iranian human rights abuses aren't?

iirc the iranian human rights abuse motion had language which I could not support, I will have a look at it a bit later when I have finished packing.

ReputationRep:

" Furthermore, we reject all forms of theocracy akin to that practicised in Iran and affirm the supremacy of western liberal values over barbarism."
    This sentence put me off voting for the Iranian motion.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

We supported the idea of a statement condemning Iran's human rights abuses. It was the intervening in their political system that we disagreed with.

This motion is worded a lot better than the one on Iran, and I would tentatively support this, though I would still prefer some form of multilateral action
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Considering this is the first time I've seen this you'd be wrong to assume it has my support. On mobile right now so will read it properly lately.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

I would vote against this motion if I could. Put simply, the situation in the Maldives is complex. Doing anything that favours the president or condemns him is too political in my view. The only Government action I would be asking for right now is for a request that a solution be found as quickly, peacefully and amicably as is possible. And let us extend our wish that this does not escalate further. I invite EagleKingdom to comment.

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    We supported the idea of a statement condemning Iran's human rights abuses. It was the intervening in their political system that we disagreed with.

This motion is worded a lot better than the one on Iran, and I would tentatively support this, though I would still prefer some form of multilateral action
    Pray tell where Iran motion called on intervention in their political system, or is saying "we think system A us superior to system B" intervening in system B?

ReputationRep:
    Pray tell where Iran motion called on intervention in their political system, or is saying "we think system A us superior to system B" intervening in system B?
    " Furthermore, we reject all forms of theocracy akin to that practicised in Iran and affirm the supremacy of western liberal values over barbarism."
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Has the definition of "intervention" changed? Then again, we are talking about a government who thinks that supporting the protesters requires rolling tanks up to the presidential palace and defines normal teaching practices as indoctrination.

ReputationRep:
    Has the definition of "intervention" changed? Then again, we are talking about a government who thinks that supporting the protesters requires rolling tanks up to the presidential palace and defines normal teaching practices as indoctrination.
    "or is saying "we think system A us superior to system B""
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "or is saying "we think system A us superior to system B""
    [citation needed]

Checked several definition sets (including Cambridge, Oxford, Merriam-Webbster) and none have a definition consistent with your assertion

ReputationRep:
    [citation needed]

Checked several definition sets (including Cambridge, Oxford, Merriam-Webbster) and none have a definition consistent with your assertion
    I was quoting you in your question...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was quoting you in your question...
    And your quoting that implies you believe that statement to be intervention, I am asking which dictionary you use, might also enlighten why the government is so bad with definitions.Dictionary.com does not define such a statement as intervention, neither does to the OED or CED, not Merriam-Webster

ReputationRep:
    Its the Moldives, send a single destroyer and special forces.. Capture the tyrant Yaseem.

I'll abstain. I agree with the spirit but not your weak execution.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.