Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I submitted my UCAS application a while ago, and I've had 3 offers back so far. However, we have had an oil spill at my house which will mean that we will likely be moved for 6 months+ due to floors being taken up and work being done on our house. Would it be worth telling universities about this in the hope of them lowering offers, due to the massive disruption it will cause? I know they do contextual offers based on location, schools and other things; but a family moving to temporary rented accommodation just as exams are coming up is rather stressful, and it would be much easier if I didn't have to worry about uni offers too.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    To be clear, contextual offers usually only lower your offer by a grade or two- they won't usually suddenly give you an offer of EE, or similar.

However, I do think it's worth mentioning this to unis, even if it's just so it's on record if they're trying to decide who to be lenient to on results day. You will probably be asked to provide supporting evidence- do your parents have a letter or something you could scan in, explaining the reason for the move? I would also get your referee to write a supporting statement explaining that you're a good student, and how this might affect your studies.

I'm not sure how unis will view this, but it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megansifford99)
    Hi, so I submitted my UCAS application a while ago, and I've had 3 offers back so far. However, we have had an oil spill at my house which will mean that we will likely be moved for 6 months+ due to floors being taken up and work being done on our house. Would it be worth telling universities about this in the hope of them lowering offers, due to the massive disruption it will cause? I know they do contextual offers based on location, schools and other things; but a family moving to temporary rented accommodation just as exams are coming up is rather stressful, and it would be much easier if I didn't have to worry about uni offers too.
    How many months until your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    How many months until your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exams start in June, so 6 months from now is August, which is after exams.

ReputationRep:
    Exams start in June, so 6 months from now is August, which is after exams.
    So not exactly 'just as exams are coming up' is it? Your exams are about four months away.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    So not exactly 'just as exams are coming up' is it? Your exams are about four months away.
    We've already had mock exams, and my college is starting the revision process for exams.

ReputationRep:
    This would come under the banner of extenuating circumstances rather than contextual offers: you are experiencing short-term disruption, not long-term disadvantage.
    That said, it's still worth letting your universities know. Drop them a short email or phone call and see what they need - some will have a specific form, others will accept just an email from you or your school. I wouldn't expect too much leniency - having to move out 4 months before your exams is a relatively moderate extenuating circumstance but it's always better to let them know before results rather than afterwards.
    I wouldn't expect a lower offer, just an agreement to take your circumstances into consideration if you do miss your grades.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That won't qualify for a contextual offer, but you *might* get some allowance from the exam boards. Although I'd say it's unlikely. Speak to your examinations officer.

Tagging Compost

And, as above poster, there's no harm notifying your universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That won't qualify for a contextual offer, but you *might* get some allowance from the exam boards. Although I'd say it's unlikely. Speak to your examinations officer.

Tagging Compost
    It wouldn't qualify for special consideration from the exam boards either - it needs to be something that happens around the time of the exams.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.