Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with a method of how to complete this question:

A 0.1575g sample of ethanedioic acid crystals, H2C2O4.nH20 was dissolved in water. In a titration, 25.0 cm3 of this solution of acid reacted with exactly 15.6 cm3 of 0.16 mol/dm3 NaOH. Calculate the value of Mr of the acid and n.

I've worked out the moles of NaOH but not sure where to go from there.

Any help appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Revise_)
    Can anyone help with a method of how to complete this question:

A 0.1575g sample of ethanedioic acid crystals, H2C2O4.nH20 was dissolved in water. In a titration, 25.0 cm3 of this solution of acid reacted with exactly 15.6 cm3 of 0.16 mol/dm3 NaOH. Calculate the value of Mr of the acid and n.

I've worked out the moles of NaOH but not sure where to go from there.

Any help appreciated
    Go to the moles of acid in the 25ml aliquot, remembering that there are two acidic protons in the acid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Go to the moles of acid in the 25ml aliquot, remembering that there are two acidic protons in the acid...

I worked out the number of moles of the acid by dividing the moles of NaOH by 2, which gave me 1.248 x 10-3, because the equation has 2 moles of NaOH to one of ethanedioc acid. To work out the Mr of the acid do I have to divide the 0.1575 by the moles of acid? The value I get is too small to be the Mr.

Thanks for the help
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Revise_)
    I worked out the number of moles of the acid by dividing the moles of NaOH by 2, which gave me 1.248 x 10-3, because the equation has 2 moles of NaOH to one of ethanedioc acid. To work out the Mr of the acid do I have to divide the 0.1575 by the moles of acid? The value I get is too small to be the Mr.

Thanks for the help
    I presume that the original mass was dissolved in water and MADE UP to 250 ml (the usual procedure)

Now you have the moles of acid in 25ml

You must now multiply to find the moles of acid in 250ml

THEN you divide the mass by the moles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    I presume that the original mass was dissolved in water and MADE UP to 250 ml (the usual procedure)

Now you have the moles of acid in 25ml

You must now multiply to find the moles of acid in 250ml

THEN you divide the mass by the moles
    Thank you this really helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.