Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my concern is: Can I get into Cambridge (medicine) with these IGCSE marks?
    I have already sat two IGCSEs las year and got and A* in Maths and an A in Modern Greek.

Mock predictions:
    Biology-A*
    Chemistry-A (It should be an A* but I am not sure why my teacher predicted an A, maybe it's a mistake)
    Physics-B (I am a top physics student, unfortunately it was a bad mock period for me...)
    English Language-B (without studying)
    English Literature-A (without studying)
    Spanish-A* (one day of studying)
    Economics-B (one day of studying)
    (As you can see I have focused on my sciences for my mocks, the rest marks came by luck)

My personal predictions:
    Biology-A*
    Chemistry-A*
    Physics-A*
    English Language-B/A
    English Literature-A/A*
    Spanish-A*
    Economics-A/A*

So all together the minimum that I'll get is 5A*s and 3/4As and a B in English language which i am willing to make an A and if possible an A*. I will try to take them all A*s because I know it is not impossible, but just in case i am unlucky, does Cambridge (medicine course) accept a minimum of 5A*s at IGCSEs?

Another question is, do mock predictions count anywhere? Will the exam board see them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As stated by several of the Cambridge admissions tutors, GCSE grades ("even" for medicine) aren't a major part of their assessment process, and the ATs on here have all stated they've never rejected a candidate solely on the basis of GCSEs. Additionally as I understand the university as a whole is phasing out formal requirements (e.g. B in GCSE double science or similar) on top of that.

It's more important that you focus on your A-level work, and the BMAT, when the time comes. While many successful applicants will have very good GCSE grades, this is incidental - those who do well in GCSE often do well in A-level. However there are people who do less well in GCSE who do very well in A-level, and still receive a place.

It's worth noting this isn't the case for Oxford, which much more heavily weights GCSEs for medicine and uses them in more formally in their shortlisting process when deciding who to invite to interview.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.