Turn on thread page Beta

stressed and anxious over driving lessons need advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! First time posting on here and could really use some advice.

I'm 17 and have been taking driving lessons since early December and today was my 7th lesson. It started okay but after about 20 minutes it was almost like a flip had switched and I just kept doing everything wrong. In the past, my instructor, who I quite frankly dislike as he is very short and gets frustrated very quickly, would tell me what to do and when to do it, but today he just didn't and left me to my own devices. This lead me to forgetting to change gears, not slowing down enough and stalling ect. and around 40 minutes into the hour long lesson I scraped his alloys on a kerb. I knew this was going to the final straw and he basically cracked, telling me I needed to focus more and stop blindly driving. I am a very emotional person and am incredibly quick to upset so by that point I was visibly shaking and borderline crying. The mistakes didn't stop after this and he was continuously getting more irritated with me. Overall, my lessons had been going okay and I hadn't stalled since the first lesson but today I stalled at least three times and just had an overall awful experience.

Earlier today and prior to the lesson, I had an appointment at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland where I am applying for entry this year so obviously I has very nervous about that and after it I had a lot on my mind. I think this translated over to my lesson and caused me to be distracted.

I'm honestly not comfortable at all anymore with this instructor but have a prepaid block of ten lessons with the guy. Today's lesson has completely erased any confidence I previously had and I'm not the type of person to quickly bounce back from this.

My current thinking is that I'll postpone my lessons just now and focus more on school and my uni applications just now, then pick up the lessons again a bit further into the future when I can be more clear headed about them and probably find a new instructor.

Has anybody had a similar experience due to stress ect? what advice would you give to me about my current situation?

Thank you everyone <3

Hey! I had a tough time in my personal life about halfway through my lessons, and it definitely had a big impact on my driving. I had an early miscarriage and being only 17 it was a really difficult time. I took 2 weeks off from lessons, and it took me almost a month to get back to where I had been. I also struggle with anxiety so this impacted on my driving too! I wasn’t a big fan of my instructor either, but I’d really recommend not changing instructor if you can help it. Taking a break might work for you, but I wouldn’t Make it too long if you can help it! I promise it gets easier and if you’d like to talk let me know and I’ll send you a message - best wishes xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

By the way - I’ve now passed my text a year later, and I am safely on the road lol, and I got through the UCAS process, waiting patiently for uni in September! It can definitely be done, and learning to drive undoubtedly gets harder as one gets older - you’ll feel amazing when you pass your test x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it <3

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.