Compelling Personal Reasons Tuition Fees Watch

DazedConfusion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, it would be greatly appreciated if anybody could help with this SFE question.

I started university in 2014 - 2015 academic year. I had to resit this year due to personal reasons and health issues (1st resit, CPR not asked for)

2015 - 2016: I was on the 1st year resit, I was granted CPR by SFE and allowed to resit (again) the following year.

2016 - 2017: Resit of 1st year for the second time, passed the year and moved on to year 2.

I am now in year 2 and have had health problems again requiring hospital visits, GP visits and medication (leading to missing of lectures and seminars) which were initially not diagnosed during the previous years (health problems both physical and mental health).

If I was to apply for CPR this year, what would my situation be in regards to tuition fee loans as if I was granted CPR then this would be my 5th year of study, meaning that I would sit year 2 in academic year 2018 - 2019 and year 3 2019 - 2020.

Breakdown:

2014 - 2015: Resit 1st year in 15-16.
2015 - 2016: CPR granted, resit Y1 in 16-17.
2016 - 2017: Completed Y1 studies, progressed to Y2.
2017 - 2018: Probably need to apply for CPR again due to ill health. 2018 - 2019: Unknown
2019 - 2020: Unknown.

I apologise if this post makes no sense whatsoever but this whole situation has got me in a flap due to the prospect of not being able to achieve getting a degree.
John B SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by DazedConfusion)
Hi, it would be greatly appreciated if anybody could help with this SFE question.

I started university in 2014 - 2015 academic year. I had to resit this year due to personal reasons and health issues (1st resit, CPR not asked for)

2015 - 2016: I was on the 1st year resit, I was granted CPR by SFE and allowed to resit (again) the following year.

2016 - 2017: Resit of 1st year for the second time, passed the year and moved on to year 2.

I am now in year 2 and have had health problems again requiring hospital visits, GP visits and medication (leading to missing of lectures and seminars) which were initially not diagnosed during the previous years (health problems both physical and mental health).

If I was to apply for CPR this year, what would my situation be in regards to tuition fee loans as if I was granted CPR then this would be my 5th year of study, meaning that I would sit year 2 in academic year 2018 - 2019 and year 3 2019 - 2020.

Breakdown:

2014 - 2015: Resit 1st year in 15-16.
2015 - 2016: CPR granted, resit Y1 in 16-17.
2016 - 2017: Completed Y1 studies, progressed to Y2.
2017 - 2018: Probably need to apply for CPR again due to ill health. 2018 - 2019: Unknown
2019 - 2020: Unknown.

I apologise if this post makes no sense whatsoever but this whole situation has got me in a flap due to the prospect of not being able to achieve getting a degree.
Hi DazedConfused,

Firstly no need to apologise, your post makes perfect sense.

Just to clarify, your study history currently looks like this:

14/15- Year 1
15/16- year 1 resit
16/17- year 1 resit (CPR given for 15/16)
17/18- year 2
18/19- not confirmed but likely resit year 2 due to health issues
19/20- not confirmed but plan to move into year 3.

If that's correct, and you are awarded CPR for the circumstances this year, you'll be able to get full funding to resit the second year in 18/19. CPR being awarded basically means that the year the mitigating circumstances took place is ignored when calculating your entitlement.

This means, if you're awarded CPR for this year, we'll only take 14/15 and 16/17 into account as CPR was awarded for circumstances in 15/16 and 17/18.

I hope this information helps but if there's any confusion please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Best wishes,

John.
DazedConfusion
Rep:
?
(Original post by John B SFE)
Hi DazedConfused,

Firstly no need to apologise, your post makes perfect sense.

Just to clarify, your study history currently looks like this:

14/15- Year 1
15/16- year 1 resit
16/17- year 1 resit (CPR given for 15/16)
17/18- year 2
18/19- not confirmed but likely resit year 2 due to health issues
19/20- not confirmed but plan to move into year 3.

If that's correct, and you are awarded CPR for the circumstances this year, you'll be able to get full funding to resit the second year in 18/19. CPR being awarded basically means that the year the mitigating circumstances took place is ignored when calculating your entitlement.

This means, if you're awarded CPR for this year, we'll only take 14/15 and 16/17 into account as CPR was awarded for circumstances in 15/16 and 17/18.

I hope this information helps but if there's any confusion please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Best wishes,

John.

Thank you for your quick response John. What would the situation be for funding for the 3rd year after the previous years of study and the CPR acceptances? Would I be liable to pay for the tuition fees for the third year or would I still be eligible for student tuition loan / maintenance grant?
John B SFE
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you for your quick response John. What would the situation be for funding for the 3rd year after the previous years of study and the CPR acceptances? Would I be liable to pay for the tuition fees for the third year or would I still be eligible for student tuition loan / maintenance grant?
Hi DazedConfused,

You're very welcome.

In these circumstances you'd be fully funded for your 3rd year. If you weren't awarded CPR for the current year, it would actually mean you wouldn't receive funding for the resit in 18/19. For example, if you need to resit year 2 in 2018/19 and aren't awarded CPR, you wouldn't receive full funding but if you pass the resit and move into year 3 you'd be fully funded again.

However, if you are awarded CPR, you'll be funded for the resit and year 3.

Best wishes,

John.
DazedConfusion
Rep:
?
(Original post by John B SFE)
Hi DazedConfused,

You're very welcome.

In these circumstances you'd be fully funded for your 3rd year. If you weren't awarded CPR for the current year, it would actually mean you wouldn't receive funding for the resit in 18/19. For example, if you need to resit year 2 in 2018/19 and aren't awarded CPR, you wouldn't receive full funding but if you pass the resit and move into year 3 you'd be fully funded again.

However, if you are awarded CPR, you'll be funded for the resit and year 3.

Best wishes,

John.
Thank you for your responses, I am extremely grateful, you have been a huge help.
John B SFE
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you for your responses, I am extremely grateful, you have been a huge help.
You're very welcome and best of luck with your studies!

Best wishes,

John.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.61%
No (194)
72.39%

Watched Threads