Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today I attended an interview at the Fashion Retail Academy for BA Hons, Fashion Buying and Merchandising. When I entered the interview my interviewer made no effect to introduce herself or anything else along those lines which is what I usually expect from a professional interview. Prior to my interview I had read on the FRA website that my interview would be based around my personal statement, however, there was no sign of my personal statement in front of the lady and it was very clear she had not read it at all as she knew nothing about me and called me ‘Holly’ until corrected. Once the interview started my interviewer went on to ask me if I had any previous experience in Fashion Retail or work experience. As my personal statement clearly states, I have had no experience in retail apart from GCSE and A-level Textiles and making pillows and selling them online. She then responded to this with, ‘So you have no experience at all…?’ in what I would call a very rude and abrupt manner. But when was retail experience essential to any uni applications? I had also read online I needed to bring previous work with me to show at the interview, which I did. The interviewer asked me what I had made at A-Level and I proceeded to say that I had brought my garments and coursework folders with me so she could have a look. she responded with, ‘I don’t care about that.’ and asked me to describe what I had made instead of simply showing her my garment and the research I had completed in my folder. Throughout my interview this lady was extremely rude to me and made it very clear she did not want to be there and didn’t have time for me. Near the end if my interview she asked me, ‘Do you even know what a buyer is?’ with an extremely sarcastic manner, I responded with what a buyer is and she goes, ‘well at least you know that.’
    I am really disappointed and surprised by this interview from such a renowned Academy and somewhere I have wanted to attend for a longtime. However, having this experience it was made me have second thoughts.

Has anyone else had this experience at the FRA?
    It was awful.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by summer_hudson)
    Today I attended an interview at the Fashion Retail Academy for BA Hons, Fashion Buying and Merchandising. When I entered the interview my interviewer made no effect to introduce herself or anything else along those lines which is what I usually expect from a professional interview. Prior to my interview I had read on the FRA website that my interview would be based around my personal statement, however, there was no sign of my personal statement in front of the lady and it was very clear she had not read it at all as she knew nothing about me and called me ‘Holly’ until corrected. Once the interview started my interviewer went on to ask me if I had any previous experience in Fashion Retail or work experience. As my personal statement clearly states, I have had no experience in retail apart from GCSE and A-level Textiles and making pillows and selling them online. She then responded to this with, ‘So you have no experience at all…?’ in what I would call a very rude and abrupt manner. But when was retail experience essential to any uni applications? I had also read online I needed to bring previous work with me to show at the interview, which I did. The interviewer asked me what I had made at A-Level and I proceeded to say that I had brought my garments and coursework folders with me so she could have a look. she responded with, ‘I don’t care about that.’ and asked me to describe what I had made instead of simply showing her my garment and the research I had completed in my folder. Throughout my interview this lady was extremely rude to me and made it very clear she did not want to be there and didn’t have time for me. Near the end if my interview she asked me, ‘Do you even know what a buyer is?’ with an extremely sarcastic manner, I responded with what a buyer is and she goes, ‘well at least you know that.’
    I am really disappointed and surprised by this interview from such a renowned Academy and somewhere I have wanted to attend for a longtime. However, having this experience it was made me have second thoughts.

Has anyone else had this experience at the FRA?
    It was awful.
    You just sound unprepared. It's usual to be asked about yourself in an interview - and it would have made no difference if the interviewer had a copy of your personal statement. It's really standard to be asked about your experience. It's also possible that you would have done something to gain experience since you wrote your personal statement, so that question is a good way of gauging recent progress. So your answer of "well I have no experience and I've already said that on my personal statement" just shows that you aren't a great candidate - most others would have tried to make up for this to show that their application was serious.

And it would have been nice to show your designs, but you were asked to talk about them. You should be able to talk about the good features of clothes. If you can't, that's just again showing you're a weak candidate.

If you're now having second thoughts because of the interview, that's great. It shows your heart wasn't in it in the first place. Otherwise, you'd be saying "I was terrible. I need to improve. This is what I will do to ensure I have a successful application next time".

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.