Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My son interested in computer coding, what would be the best GCSE options to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackiec123)
    My son interested in computer coding, what would be the best GCSE options to take.
    I’d say definitely Computer Science if his school does it, it’s pretty much essential for computer coding! Then the others that might be useful are GCSEs like Maths and maybe Physics but they’re compulsory anyway

ReputationRep:
    If his school offers computer science, that would be the best choice.

I'm a current year 11 and I do computer science. There is a lot of theory involved and the latest controlled assessment where you had to code a program based on the given scenario was just cancelled due to a leak of the solution. The coding aspect can be very difficult for someone who only has a basic level of coding, and the schools usually only offer python coding.

Other than computer science, I'd wouldn't really say there was any other subjects specific to computer coding.

Hope this is helpful

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science if his school offers it, but if not then IT would be ok. Triple Science would be extremely helpful, and then I would suggest that he does a humanity (geography would be more relevant but it doesn't really matter, just which of history and geography he enjoys the most) and a language, but only if he enjoys them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science is a good course (minus the government's incompetence at the coursework), covering a lot of stuff which is very relevant. Schools usually use Python but other languages (C#/C++/C, VB.Net, Pascal/Delphi, Java) are available from the exam board. If he knows any of these languages or any other text based one, he will find Python pretty easy, it's one of the easiest languages to get your head around. IT is the next best fit if CS if not offered.

Maths is critical, and while it's a compulsory subject he needs to be good at it to take Computer Science to A Level or University. Some schools require good maths skills as a requirement to do Computer Science.

Triple Science, but particularly Physics as it includes some electronic principles (not a great deal of use, but can help in the Computer Systems section of CS), but more importantly lots of use of formulas and maths skills, which transfer across to the use of algorithms.

Other than that, if your school offers Systems and Control (either the GCSE or the Cambridge National), that is a course that ties in very well with CS (it has programming itself, plus system design and more useful electronic theory). Some parts even directly cross over with each other, making them very easy as I had covered them already.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.