Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I’m PopcornPineapple (you can call me Pine if you want) and this will be my Grow Your Grades Blog, well, hopefully (if I don’t forget about it)

I’m 16, in Year 11, and going to take my GCSE’s this year.

I’m taking:
    Mathematics (predicted:9,mock:9) AQA
    English Language (predicted:7,mock:9) WJEC
    English Literature (predicted:8,mock:7) WJEC
    Biology (predicted:8,mock:8) OCR
    Chemistry (predicted:8,mock:8) OCR
    Physics (predicted:8,mock:8) OCR
    Statistics (predicted:A*,mock:A) AQA
    Further Maths (predicted:A*,mock:A) AQA
    Geography (predicted:8,mock:7) AQA
    Art (predicted:7,mock:8) WJEC

I already have an Art Textiles GCSE, which I got a B in 😄

How about you guys? Are you taking similar subjects?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hello, good luck with your blog and gcses- your mocks look really good!
    i'm doing the same exam board as you for science and maths what are you planning on studying/pursuing in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I'm really interested in becoming an architect eventually. It just seems like it would be something interesting to do 😁

What about you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PopcornPineapple)
    Thank you so much! I'm really interested in becoming an architect eventually. It just seems like it would be something interesting to do 😁

What about you?
    i think i wanna go into mental health when i'm older, not too sure what specifically yet but i'd like to study psychology with sociology at uni

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really interesting- I was almost going to take psychology at A-level until I realised that I wouldn't know which science to give up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Woah! Your mocks are amazing! I wish you all the the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    Woah! Your mocks are amazing! I wish you all the the best
    Ah, thanks! You too

ReputationRep:
    •~•~•~• 🌞 MORNING 🌞 •~•~•~•

I worked on some of my art, because the first section of our coursework was due today 😱

•~•~•~• 🎨 PE (ART) 🎨 •~•~•~•

We were supposed to have PE first lesson, but, because we're in Year 11, we are allowed to choose which subjects we want to go to instead of PE. I managed to finish two (yes, TWO) of my artists by breaktime, which meant that I was on track to meet the deadline 😆

•~•~•~• 👩*🔬 CHEMISTRY 👩*🔬 •~•~•~•

For some reason, our chemistry classes always go reallllyyyyyy slowly, and our teacher seems to talk for ages. We learnt about rates of reactions and acid strength (and how they're linked) today, and did an experiment with acid reactions (my friend tipped a heaped spatula of calcium carbonate into a tiny dimple on the spotting tile and basically ruined the experiment 🙄).

•~•~•~• 🎨 ART 🎨 •~•~•~•

Finally, we had art, which I felt much calmer about now that I was sure I was going to meet the deadline (and not get a detention). I spent the whole lesson writing up information about my artists.

•~•~•~• 🏡 AFTERNOON 🏡 •~•~•~•

After school, I:
    🎓 Had a meeting with my first choice of sixth forms to talk about my option choices and check that I was still happy to do them (I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths)
    🐶 Walked the dogs
    🔬 Made some Biology notes on homeostasis
    🌎 Did my Geography homework

ReputationRep:
    •~•~•~• 🌞 MORNING 🌞 •~•~•~•

Guess who woke up late this morning... Twice (don't even ask) 😕

•~•~•~• 📚 ENGLISH LIT 📚 •~•~•~•

We carried on working on To Autumn by John Keats, and had to answer two 15 mark questions on it 😭😭 My teacher also marked our questions that we did for homework, and I was supposed to collect mine at the end of the school day bc he didn't have time to finish it in class, but completely forgot UGGHHH

•~•~•~• 🌎 GEOGRAPHY 🌎 •~•~•~•

I always think that our Geography lessons are so slow and boring at the moment- we learnt about the Demographic Transition Model. Fun. Also the Great British Weather whipped up a huge snowstorm, before going to bright sunlight and clear skies (as if it was the middle of summer)

•~•~•~• 👩*🔬 CHEMISTRY 👩*🔬 •~•~•~•

My teacher set fire to flour by blowing it up into the air and basically created a giant flamethrower in the first five minutes, but the rest of the class was dull. We did an experiment with acids, and yh.

•~•~•~• 🏡 AFTERNOON 🏡 •~•~•~•

I had Further Maths after school, and we learnt about differentiation and stationary points.

After that, I went home, and:
    😋 Ate a sausage roll and some chocolate as a snack
    🔬 Finished my B5 notes (WHOOP WHOOP)
    🗂️ Tidied my room and did some folder organisation

•~•~•~• MY B5 NOTES •~•~•~•

Name:  DAF8C383-4E26-4B33-9538-6C7EE08E3C9D.jpg.jpeg
Views: 33
Size:  34.8 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :party: sounds like you've had a good few days! Do you only have 3 subjects per day or are some of them longer?

ReputationRep:
    :party: sounds like you've had a good few days! Do you only have 3 subjects per day or are some of them longer?
    Thanks, I've been feeling really productive lately! Yep, just 3 subjects a day, so our lessons are 100 minutes (which sounds really long, but it doesn't always feel like that much. I guess I'm used to it)

How many lessons do you have a day?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks, I've been feeling really productive lately! Yep, just 3 subjects a day, so our lessons are 100 minutes (which sounds really long, but it doesn't always feel like that much. I guess I'm used to it)

We have 5 lessons a day at an hour each

ReputationRep:

wow those are some LONG lessons. We have 45 minute lessons, doubles are 90 minutes. 7 (45 min) periods per day.

I really enjoyed reading your blog so far, very entertaining! Keep going, those mock grades are fantastic and you're clearly amazing at this

What would you say is your method of working?

ReputationRep:
    We have 5 lessons a day at an hour each
    (Original post by Martins1)
    wow those are some LONG lessons. We have 45 minute lessons, doubles are 90 minutes. 7 (45 min) periods per day.
    Big variety in number of lessons then Our school used to have 5 lessons a day before I went there, but 7?! I struggle to remember all the stuff I need to bring in for 3 lessons 😅

I really enjoyed reading your blog so far, very entertaining! Keep going, those mock grades are fantastic and you're clearly amazing at this

What would you say is your method of working?
    Thank you so much!

I really like methods that just condense the information (like notes, then flashcards) but I'm not too keen on mind maps. I know they're supposed to be the best revision method ever or something like that, but all the information just confuses me (and mine end up being really messy). I also sometimes do matching games if theres a lot of different details to remember (so I would have one set of cards with sodium, lithium, potassium etc. on and then another set with their flame colours on, and match them up).

What about you? What methods do you use?

ReputationRep:
    •~•~•~• 📝 SATURDAY 📝 •~•~•~•

👩*🔬 I managed to make notes on half of C5 before I got bored and watched YouTube videos
    🛍️ I also went shopping with my Mum and brother (in case you're wondering what I did for the rest of the day). We got some cobs for lunch and a chinese for dinner (and I got some more lined paper because I had almost ran out).

ReputationRep:
    Big variety in number of lessons then Our school used to have 5 lessons a day before I went there, but 7?! I struggle to remember all the stuff I need to bring in for 3 lessons 😅
    Haha well normally it's not too bad, I'm used to it - and a lot of my lessons are doubles (plus a few free's thrown in for good measure). And anyway, I think that as soon as I've committed to organising myself for the next day, I may as well pack for all 7 - and if i don't organise myself, they're both as hard as each other.
    Thank you so much!

I really like methods that just condense the information (like notes, then flashcards) but I'm not too keen on mind maps. I know they're supposed to be the best revision method ever or something like that, but all the information just confuses me (and mine end up being really messy). I also sometimes do matching games if theres a lot of different details to remember (so I would have one set of cards with sodium, lithium, potassium etc. on and then another set with their flame colours on, and match them up).

What about you? What methods do you use?
    Ah, cool, that sounds like you know what revision methods work for you! I always find it interesting to hear how other people revise.
    I also find mind-maps pretty unhelpful, but to be honest I think that true of notes and flashcards too. I guess for me I don't like writing things down, that doesn't help me revise - for me it's better to just try and reread information and either understand the concepts or try and force my mind to remember it. I do sometimes make notes, but that's more to force myself to remind myself of all the concepts in a structured manner - e.g. the act of understanding the concepts so that I can type them up is what helps me revise, not the actual writing them down. Also, I only make notes/revise after I've learned the topic in class, I can never do making notes during class time (like you did with C5 notes!).
    Have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, cool, that sounds like you know what revision methods work for you! I always find it interesting to hear how other people revise.
    I also find mind-maps pretty unhelpful, but to be honest I think that true of notes and flashcards too. I guess for me I don't like writing things down, that doesn't help me revise - for me it's better to just try and reread information and either understand the concepts or try and force my mind to remember it. I do sometimes make notes, but that's more to force myself to remind myself of all the concepts in a structured manner - e.g. the act of understanding the concepts so that I can type them up is what helps me revise, not the actual writing them down. Also, I only make notes/revise after I've learned the topic in class, I can never do making notes during class time (like you did with C5 notes!).
    Have a good day!
    I really like to know what kind of things other people are doing as well- I find it interesting, so thank you!

I hope you have a good day as well 😁

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.