Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I go into private medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am aspiring to become a neurosurgeon but I would very much like to go into private healthcare as opposed to working with the NHS. What course of action is required to take this route? Any help is very much appreciated. 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgelagalle)
    I am aspiring to become a neurosurgeon but I would very much like to go into private healthcare as opposed to working with the NHS. What course of action is required to take this route? Any help is very much appreciated. 😊
    I’m not entirely sure but I’m pretty sure you spend your time as a junior doctor working for the NHS. Hope it’s not too terrible for you.

ReputationRep:
    Few UK consultants work exclusively in private practice.

Regardless you will need to become a neurosurgery consultant (4-6 years med school, 2 years foundation training, 8 years neurosurgery specialty training, assuming no breaks) and then continue to develop your expertise and special interests before going into private work.

tl;dr: focus on getting into med school for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Few UK consultants work exclusively in private practice.

Regardless you will need to become a neurosurgery consultant (4-6 years med school, 2 years foundation training, 8 years neurosurgery specialty training, assuming no breaks) and then continue to develop your expertise and special interests before going into private work.

tl;dr: focus on getting into med school for now.
    Thanks for the help 👍🏼
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You can work in the private sector as a junior doctor covering private wards and whatnot. However, you would just be doing the lackey work (and for any actually sick patients you would do what everyone else does - call an NHS ambulance) and your career progression just halts. You certainly wouldn't be seeing any neurosurgery, let alone doing it!

The only way to be a private neurosurgeon is to train to be a neurosurgeon on the NHS, then set up a private practice alongside your NHS work which as above, takes decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You can work in the private sector as a junior doctor covering private wards and whatnot. However, you would just be doing the lackey work (and for any actually sick patients you would do what everyone else does - call an NHS ambulance) and your career progression just halts. You certainly wouldn't be seeing any neurosurgery, let alone doing it!

The only way to be a private neurosurgeon is to train to be a neurosurgeon on the NHS, then set up a private practice alongside your NHS work which as above, takes decades.
    Thank you for this insightful response 😊

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why private practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandExecutioner)
    Can I ask why private practice?
    Probably money and less stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Probably money and less stress.
    Why would they do a medical degree then? xD

ReputationRep:
    Why would they do a medical degree then? xD
    Because they enjoy science or OP might just be a deluded year 11 student who has an idealistic (too optimistic) view of the realities of medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Because they enjoy science or OP might just be a deluded year 11 student who has an idealistic (too optimistic) view of the realities of medicine.
    They may have alternative reasons.

ReputationRep:
    They may have alternative reasons.
    Yes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Argh another neurosurgeon? Are we in grip of the neurosurgical flu at the minute?!

Just train like any other neurosurgeon, foundation programme then run-through ST1 neurosurgery or core surgery then ST3 neurosurgery. It takes 9 years after graduation then you become a consultant.

You may well not get in at the first go, the competition is quite high at ST1 / less at ST3. After you are qualified as a consultant then you can practise neurosurgery privately (not a lot of junior cons do though).

ReputationRep:
    I’m year 13 by the way 😊

ReputationRep:
    I’m year 13 by the way 😊
    have you applied to med schools this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    sweet - good luck then!

ReputationRep:
    sweet - good luck then!
    Thank you 👍🏼

ReputationRep:
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry.
    what?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.