The Student Room Group

Siblings

Hello!

I am a little concerned about the fairness in applying for student finance in my own case, I'm the eldest of my siblings where my household has my Mother, Step-Father, Myself, 3 Brothers and 2 Sisters. My Household income is around £35,000 so taking this into account that would be £4375 per person annually.

My Question is: Does the SFE take into account siblings where I would be effected personally even though this is outside of my control?

I was comparing this to a friend who has similar income of £35,000 annually in his household however it is just him and his 2 parents thus making that equal to £11,667 per person annually.

So is it fair that myself and my friend would get the same amount of student maintenance loan?

Thank you for your time! :smile:
Original post by WorriedStudent5
Hello!

I am a little concerned about the fairness in applying for student finance in my own case, I'm the eldest of my siblings where my household has my Mother, Step-Father, Myself, 3 Brothers and 2 Sisters. My Household income is around £35,000 so taking this into account that would be £4375 per person annually.

My Question is: Does the SFE take into account siblings where I would be effected personally even though this is outside of my control?

I was comparing this to a friend who has similar income of £35,000 annually in his household however it is just him and his 2 parents thus making that equal to £11,667 per person annually.

So is it fair that myself and my friend would get the same amount of student maintenance loan?

Thank you for your time! :smile:

Hi WorriedStudent5,

I can definitely give you some advice on this, I just need to ask a couple of questions if that's alright.

We do take the amount of dependents in the household into account but a few factors are considered.

Are any of your siblings in higher education?

how many of your siblings are over 18?

Thank you,

John.
Original post by John B SFE
Hi WorriedStudent5,

I can definitely give you some advice on this, I just need to ask a couple of questions if that's alright.

We do take the amount of dependents in the household into account but a few factors are considered.

Are any of your siblings in higher education?

how many of your siblings are over 18?

Thank you,

John.

Thank you John,
I am the eldest and all my siblings are under 18 therefore I believe are considered dependent and so also are not in higher education.

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by WorriedStudent5
Thank you John,
I am the eldest and all my siblings are under 18 therefore I believe are considered dependent and so also are not in higher education.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

Hi WorriedStudent5,

You are correct, your siblings will be counted as dependent so a deduction will be taken into account for each of them. I wouldn't be able to give you the exact amount of maintenance loan you'd receive, however, if all your siblings are under 18 before the start of the academic year, we will deduct £1130 from the household income for each person, so £5650 should be deducted overall.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending