Turn on thread page Beta

Student Loan Eligibility ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello SFE Team,

I understand that I have to ordinarily resident in for 3 years in the U.K BEFORE the start of my course.

I've lived in Bermuda most of my life and I am working to move to the U.K next year sometime. I have a valid British passport. So migrating is somewhat easier.

When could I be eligible for a student loan for university study ? Could I possibly begin a degree part time for 3 years AND then apply for a student loan ?

I look forward to receiving your response.

Thanks,

AM
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AlonsoMarch)
    Hello SFE Team,

I understand that I have to ordinarily resident in for 3 years in the U.K BEFORE the start of my course.

I've lived in Bermuda most of my life and I am working to move to the U.K next year sometime. I have a valid British passport. So migrating is somewhat easier.

When could I be eligible for a student loan for university study ? Could I possibly begin a degree part time for 3 years AND then apply for a student loan ?

I look forward to receiving your response.

Thanks,

AM
    Hi AlonsoMarch,

To be eligible for student finance, you must be resident in the UK for the 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course. This means if you moved to the UK next year and started a course, you would remain ineligible for the duration of that course as we would assess your residency for the 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Above is just a general outline of eligibility. There are other ways of being eligible for student finance, if you have a look here, you can see an overview of other criteria for being eligible and see if any are relevant to you.

Best wishes,
    John.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.