Turn on thread page Beta

If Someone That's In My Student Accommodation Passes Away, Do You Automatically Pass? watch

ReputationRep:
    Title is self-explanatory. And no-one has passed away, I've just heard mixed answers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tbeyan)
    Title is self-explanatory. And no-one has passed away, I've just heard mixed answers.
    No. Just use some common sense.

You may claim for extenuating circumstances, but up to the department what they do about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    What are you planning...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No. Just use some common sense.

You may claim for extenuating circumstances, but up to the department what they do about it.
    ok, so theres no law about this then?

ReputationRep:
    No. There’s laws against murder though....

ReputationRep:
    OP what are you going to do?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    No, it's not the sort of thing laws are made about!

Chances are, if the student was in their final year and on track to pass, and the University felt it was important to the family, then they would probably have a format whereby they could award some form of degree. It's very far from automatic though, it would have to be close to finals and for there to be some reason why it was an appropriate response.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why would there be a law about it? Why not ask the person who is saying there is to link you to a credible source? They are winding you up.

ReputationRep:
    😂😂😂😂😂 this thread scarily hilarious wow!
    Like the above post said. You can file for mitigating circumstances, if the person was close to you, and you can “maybe” prove that.
    However, There used to be a small Cambridge rumor, that if a classmate dies during exams. Everyone automatically gets an A or a Pass. I’m not so sure.

⚠️I don’t not in anyway condone , or motivate you to
    commit murder! ⚠️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There was a rumour many years ago at Oxford of the "dead man's first"; that anyone who died between Finals and the publication of results automatically received a first class degree. Alas, it wasn't true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There was a rumour many years ago at Oxford of the "dead man's first"; that anyone who died between Finals and the publication of results automatically received a first class degree. Alas, it wasn't true.
    Well given they were dead, I don’t think a first class degree would do them much good.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the person who started the high school “if the teacher isn’t here in ten minutes we can leave” rumour made it to university!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If somebody dies during the exam you get automatic passing grades is just one untrue legend. In my school we always used to say, right who’s going to take one for the team then?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.