gavb7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I’ve been offered a place for History and Politics at both Queen Mary and Hull but I don’t know which one is better. The offer from Hull is an unconditional (as long as I firm them) and I know that QMUL is an amazing university but in terms of cost I really don’t know whether it’s worth it when Hull would be a lot cheaper for me. Hull is a great uni for my course because of their connections and stuff but QMUL is amazing too!! I don’t know what to do about accepting offers, I have offers from Leicester, Coventry and Southampton but Hull and QMUL are my favourites! I want to to be able to get a good job after university and I don’t want to have to struggle with money too much so I could really use with some help or advice on what to do.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
I’ve been offered a place for History and Politics at both Queen Mary and Hull but I don’t know which one is better. The offer from Hull is an unconditional (as long as I firm them) and I know that QMUL is an amazing university but in terms of cost I really don’t know whether it’s worth it when Hull would be a lot cheaper for me. Hull is a great uni for my course because of their connections and stuff but QMUL is amazing too!! I don’t know what to do about accepting offers, I have offers from Leicester, Coventry and Southampton but Hull and QMUL are my favourites! I want to to be able to get a good job after university and I don’t want to have to struggle with money too much so I could really use with some help or advice on what to do.
Choose the course that is right for you. Have a look at the specific modules and the other details about the course and see which you prefer.:yes:

Employers don't tend to care much about which university you got to in comparison to other things like the classification of your degree.
gavb7
Rep:
?
Thankyou! I’m going to the QMUL applicant day tomorrow and I’m gna wait till I go to the Hull one too before I make a decision!! I just don’t wanna make the wrong decision 😭
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
Thankyou! I’m going to the QMUL applicant day tomorrow and I’m gna wait till I go to the Hull one too before I make a decision!! I just don’t wanna make the wrong decision 😭
There's no rush. Take you time.
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
Good move!

Indeed degree classification is important; where you get it from is an indication of your ability; reputable universities are challenging, encourage self learning moreso, competitive etc...

Even though classification is important, the university you attend should have strong links, reputation and be in the ideal location.

Also QMUL is in London, close to the best Grad employers
they have links with many companies
schemes, interns and work experience relations with companies Plus the uni is supportive with accommodation
being in london lots more to do, see, experience
QMUL has strong links with law firms, charities, NGOs, Teach first etc, your degree will allow you to take apply for those opportunities
Lots more well funded societies and clubs and ex alumni
compare all that to Hull - its easy to see why QMUL may be worth the *sacrafice*
since History and Politics is not Vocational or Practical like Science, economics, medicine or law you want to go to a university that has a rich department and reputable academics. which QMUL does. this will give you the best prep for Postgrad study at other top uni or the departments alumni will be working in the city etc

London has more opportunities, big place for sure, but use it as an opportunity to experience and live as widely as possible. In what is not traditionally a university city, but a working and metropolitan place. Don't just think I like the buildings in hull or the cafes, think practically and make a choice which maximises what you are planning to study and the possibilities it holds out.

QMUL are good with financial help; good at encouraging deprived and poor students.
honestly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
Leicester is an excellent uni. Ideally located. *Very very *supportive to working class students, bursaries and grants. and academically reputable. Plus its not as big as other universities but has a good reputation. It has connections to the City and top employers.... Lovely place as well!
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Would you really want to go to Hull?
gavb7
Rep:
?
(Original post by honestly)
Good move!

Indeed degree classification is important; where you get it from is an indication of your ability; reputable universities are challenging, encourage self learning moreso, competitive etc...

Even though classification is important, the university you attend should have strong links, reputation and be in the ideal location.

Also QMUL is in London, close to the best Grad employers
they have links with many companies
schemes, interns and work experience relations with companies Plus the uni is supportive with accommodation
being in london lots more to do, see, experience
QMUL has strong links with law firms, charities, NGOs, Teach first etc, your degree will allow you to take apply for those opportunities
Lots more well funded societies and clubs and ex alumni
compare all that to Hull - its easy to see why QMUL may be worth the *sacrafice*
since History and Politics is not Vocational or Practical like Science, economics, medicine or law you want to go to a university that has a rich department and reputable academics. which QMUL does. this will give you the best prep for Postgrad study at other top uni or the departments alumni will be working in the city etc

London has more opportunities, big place for sure, but use it as an opportunity to experience and live as widely as possible. In what is not traditionally a university city, but a working and metropolitan place. Don't just think I like the buildings in hull or the cafes, think practically and make a choice which maximises what you are planning to study and the possibilities it holds out.

QMUL are good with financial help; good at encouraging deprived and poor students.
I loved the applicant day and my parents and I saw that it was the best uni for me. I got an OPA too so my conditional offer was turned into an unconditional so it was kind of a no brainer to firm QMUL. I'm actually really excited to see what else they have to offer. Thank you for your advice.
honestly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
I loved the applicant day and my parents and I saw that it was the best uni for me. I got an OPA too so my conditional offer was turned into an unconditional so it was kind of a no brainer to firm QMUL. I'm actually really excited to see what else they have to offer. Thank you for your advice.
Hi gavb7,

I'm glad to have helped you in making a decision. Prepare yourself for an adventurous time in London. Wonderful place to live in and study, with many universities their, as well as being culturally, historically, politically and economically rich; lots of exploration. You won't be bored, and I'm sure QMUL will be an enjoyable experience.

Are you studying in September? whats OPA? if you don't mind my asking, are you a mature student?

gavb7
Rep:
?
Hi gavb7,

I'm glad to have helped you in making a decision. Prepare yourself for an adventurous time in London. Wonderful place to live in and study, with many universities their, as well as being culturally, historically, politically and economically rich; lots of exploration. You won't be bored, and I'm sure QMUL will be an enjoyable experience.

Are you studying in September? whats OPA? if you don't mind my asking, are you a mature student?

Yeah I start in September and I think OPA is just their version of an unconditional but u just have to pass all of your exams and no I'm not a mature student, I'm taking my A levels at the moment.
honestly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
Yeah I start in September and I think OPA is just their version of an unconditional but u just have to pass all of your exams and no I'm not a mature student, I'm taking my A levels at the moment.
nice one! out of interest what are you studying for Levels? are you looking froward to studying at QMUL?
gavb7
Rep:
?
nice one! out of interest what are you studying for Levels? are you looking froward to studying at QMUL?
I'm studying History, Government & Politics and psychology. Regret taking Psychology though, I feel like I'm going to get a D in it.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
I'm studying History, Government & Politics and psychology. Regret taking Psychology though, I feel like I'm going to get a D in it.
I'm graduating from QMUL this year with a degree in English and History. The History department at QMUL is very good and the lecturers give you very good feedback on your assignments.
honestly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gavb7)
Don't want to sound like a bore, but revise properly, however you have received an UC offer, so it doesn't really matter. Try and aim to get a B+ on both History and G+P; they will help you develop relevant skills to study History and do well in your degree.
gavb7
Rep:
?
Don't want to sound like a bore, but revise properly, however you have received an UC offer, so it doesn't really matter. Try and aim to get a B+ on both History and G+P; they will help you develop relevant skills to study History and do well in your degree.
I've had my first exam for history and I don't think it went very well, but everyone found it quite hard. I'm hoping to get a B in history and politics and tbh I'd be happy with a C in psychology and I may decide to retake it next year.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You might get some free pasta, chocolate, bread and olive oil if you go to QMUL...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.66%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.62%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.56%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (72)
27.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.01%

Watched Threads