Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been driving for a year and had no problems or violations so far.

Today entering a motorway when dark I went through a set of lights on green and then to late realised there was another set of lights before you enter slip road and they were red (i thought these lights were for traffic from another direction).

I went to stop but there were no road markings at all and I panicked as did not want to stop in potentially oncoming traffic off the roadabout and had past light by this time so I continued on slip road. Lesson learned tonight!

I know nothing about red light cameras, I don't remember any flash of a camera but whole thing was a blur! Really don't want 3 points hanging over me or lose my license.

I have attached picture of lights from Google earth (may not be up to date) but does this look like they have a camera? Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    By the looks of it, no, it doesn't. Red light cameras are generally fairly obvious, they usually look like speed cameras (many of them are both red light and speed cameras). The only exception are cameras used exclusively for red light offences, which look like speed cameras, but they're grey rather than bright yellow.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by James1706)
    Been driving for a year and had no problems or violations so far.

Today entering a motorway when dark I went through a set of lights on green and then to late realised there was another set of lights before you enter slip road and they were red (i thought these lights were for traffic from another direction).

I went to stop but there were no road markings at all and I panicked as did not want to stop in potentially oncoming traffic off the roadabout and had past light by this time so I continued on slip road. Lesson learned tonight!

I know nothing about red light cameras, I don't remember any flash of a camera but whole thing was a blur! Really don't want 3 points hanging over me or lose my license.

I have attached picture of lights from Google earth (may not be up to date) but does this look like they have a camera? Thanks
    I really don't know how anyone can drive through a red light.. like.. they're bright red.. more so in the dark!

It's not a camera, but you need to be paying much more attention on the roads if you want to stay alive.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I'd drive the same route in the daytime, not during rush hour but still when there's traffic about and see what everyone else is do8ng at that junction.

almost all lights have a black box on top of them, but they're just a sensor to change the light to stop you from sitting at a red light when there's nothing coming.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The cameras that generate points are generally big and grey, and very visible.

Those cameras generally only pick up light so that when it's dark they don't stay red unnecessarily and react to headlights.

ReputationRep:
    This only happens down roads you don't know very well; and if that is the case and in the dark, god knows how fast you must've been going to miss a bright red light and have only seen a "blur"

ReputationRep:
    If there was no Gatso camera overlooking the lights or no flash then you're in the clear. The black cameras on top of the red lights are sensors to change the lights. However, I would recommend just because there is no camera, it still shouldn't be an excuse to jump the lights as it can lead to much more than 3 points. And with you not seeing this red light in the first place especially at night time then I do begin to wonder if you should actually be driving. Stay safe out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    The cameras that generate points are generally big and grey, and very visible.

Those cameras generally only pick up light so that when it's dark they don't stay red unnecessarily and react to headlights.
    A few Months ago I broke the traffic lights at Denmark Hill London, the only problem was that the lights was Amber. Those tiny black boxes on top of the traffic lights were not sensors, but a new type of infrared cameras without the flash. I got a Penalty three weeks later in the post and I ended up paying 60 quid, I went to traffic court, pleaded guilty and they sent me on a traffic awareness court in exchange to prevent a 3 points on my licence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jackspaniard)
    A few Months ago I broke the traffic lights at Denmark Hill London, the only problem was that the lights was Amber. Those tiny black boxes on top of the traffic lights were not sensors, but a new type of infrared cameras without the flash. I got a Penalty three weeks later in the post and I ended up paying 60 quid, I went to traffic court, pleaded guilty and they sent me on a traffic awareness court in exchange to prevent a 3 points on my licence.
    This thread hasn't had a reply in two months. Could you stop copy and pasting your reply on to as many threads as you can, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackspaniard)
    I don't think any part of this is true tbh.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=TimmonaPortella;77355014]I don't think any part of this is true tbh.[/QUOT

Well, I must have woke up one more and dreamt this. 80% off first time offenders get a fine and go to traffic awareness court to prevent any points on their licence. Each court and Magistrate are different when weighing the outcome of the situation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    [QUOTE=Jackspaniard;77368796]
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I don't think any part of this is true tbh.[/QUOT

Well, I must have woke up one more and dreamt this. 80% off first time offenders get a fine and go to traffic awareness court to prevent any points on their licence. Each court and Magistrate are different when weighing the outcome of the situation.
    Interesting statistic - care to cite your source?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.