The Student Room Group

I just can't bring myself to begin revising!!!!

I have made 3 different timetables since the January mocks already! These schedules either feel like I'm not making the most out of my time or, they feel like I am pushing myself too hard and then can't be bothered to begin. My life is just too unpredictable to have a working revision planner. I have seen about making a checklist for each week but I can't see how thar would work. How do I get over all this. I planned to fill my bedroom wall with A4 sheets or paper containing key facts and techniques when answering exam questions for every topic but I just can't bring myself to do it! I don't get it! I have given myself plenty of motivation but none of it is making a difference. I can be sat on the edge of my bed thinking, "I should probably start on making those note sheets to go on my wall now" and then just decide not to even though all I have to do is grab a bit of paper and get started! Is anyone else getting this problem???? I just can't get it started even though I know that I absolutely need to. I am also really interested in this checklist idea instead of a revision plan because at least then, there are no set times.
This is literally me! I made so many revision times tables and I only managed to perform each of them once and I'm really worried about GCSEs, especially Maths, Geography, History and English as I need good grades for when I go to sixth form for A Levels! Please someone help this guy and me! :s-smilie:
Same. If you figure out a solution as to how NOT to watch Netflix for 6 hours and then realise I haven't studied, let me know.
Original post by cindyclark46
Same. If you figure out a solution as to how NOT to watch Netflix for 6 hours and then realise I haven't studied, let me know.

😂 I wish that were possible!
Original post by martynacz2
This is literally me! I made so many revision times tables and I only managed to perform each of them once and I'm really worried about GCSEs, especially Maths, Geography, History and English as I need good grades for when I go to sixth form for A Levels! Please someone help this guy and me! :s-smilie:

At least I'm not the only one out there with this problem! I look at my friends and they all seem to have perfect revision plans and everything seems to be working out just fine for them so I was beginning to think that it was just me with these problems. I'm glad I'm not!
Oh my gosh! Same!!!! Are you guys revising for GCSEs...? I need to start and everybody else in my class has already started and I feel so behind! There is so much content and I feel like by the time I have made notes my exams will already by over 😭😭😭
motivate yourself- it's all about your mentality. don't always be making revision notes, though it's a bit of a concern if you haven't started yet. do plenty of practice questions with and without your notes to help yourself consolidate the content. break it down into manageable chunks, but if you haven't even started, then be prepared to put a lot of work in. condense key facts into flashcards as an easy revision tool. getrevising has past papers you can do if you want to nail your exam technique.

a timetable can provide a good guide, but don't be upset if you don't follow it everyday, but definitely have some sort of schedule of what you'll be revising each day.

good luck!
hi!

i'm most definitely in the same boat as you- i have not started revision!
what i think we should be doing at this point, is making sure that we understand everything in the specification for each subject. one way to do this (i think) is to flick through a revision guide/a textbook/the specification, and just check to see if anything screams WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? at you :smile:, haha.
also, maybe, instead of making pages of notes, maybe condense the notes into flashcards- i started thins thing where i would write half a page of notes from the textbook/revision guide on one side of a flashcard, and that ensured that i only got all the key information down.
also, using the specification for subjects ensures you know exactly the kinds of key words examiners look for, and those are the points you should try and revise.

i really hope revision gets better for you, and that you get the grades you're aiming for! xx
Original post by entertainmyfaith
motivate yourself- it's all about your mentality. don't always be making revision notes, though it's a bit of a concern if you haven't started yet. do plenty of practice questions with and without your notes to help yourself consolidate the content. break it down into manageable chunks, but if you haven't even started, then be prepared to put a lot of work in. condense key facts into flashcards as an easy revision tool. getrevising has past papers you can do if you want to nail your exam technique.

a timetable can provide a good guide, but don't be upset if you don't follow it everyday, but definitely have some sort of schedule of what you'll be revising each day.

good luck!

Thank you. I usually revise by testing myself anyway which was why I wanted to make more notes because I do not have any! The sad part is I don't even play games or anything tbh. I just sit on my phone and watch netflix and stuff. It's more that I like to have routines but none of my previous ones have worked for me. I base my timetables around dinner and dog walks etc. so it gets disrupted alot because only my parents control when these happen so I end up having to skip sessions and it just doesn't work for me.
Original post by lanababe78
hi!

what i think we should be doing at this point, is making sure that we understand everything in the specification for each subject. one way to do this (i think) is to flick through a revision guide/a textbook/the specification, and just check to see if anything screams WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? at you :smile:, haha.
also, maybe, instead of making pages of notes, maybe condense the notes into flashcards- i started thins thing where i would write half a page of notes from the textbook/revision guide on one side of a flashcard, and that ensured that i only got all the key information down.
also, using the specification for subjects ensures you know exactly the kinds of key words examiners look for, and those are the points you should try and revise.

i really hope revision gets better for you, and that you get the grades you're aiming for! xx

Thank you, I hope your case improves too! I don't usually revis with notes which is why I wanted to, it's just that I can't seem to fit time in for all the revision that I plan to do because ever plan i make gets disrupted by something that is completely out of my control. That's why I am so interested in this checklist idea

good luck!

I already tried doing that and I think to myself "I'm so ready to revise! I watched so many YouTubers revision techniques that got them to get amazing scores" but I really can't motivate myself, there are so many things I could do instead like watch YouTube videos, Netflix or play video games and once I start to revise I just can't be bothered to do any more revision and I feel like I'm just digging myself a deeper and deeper hole so when I try to get out of it, it will be too late.... if you know what I mean...... so I need help ASAP! Like a punch in the face (I'm being metaphorical) so I'll finally do it. I just want it to be quick ad effective but I can't even seem to find a good way to revise! Like OMG I'm so stressed and worried over this!
Original post by Doughnuts2002
Oh my gosh! Same!!!! Are you guys revising for GCSEs...? I need to start and everybody else in my class has already started and I feel so behind! There is so much content and I feel like by the time I have made notes my exams will already by over 😭😭😭

Yes! This is why I'm worrying!! All of my friends seem to have a perfect revision plan and everything. That's why I came here for help
Original post by Matthew Sullivan
Thank you. I usually revise by testing myself anyway which was why I wanted to make more notes because I do not have any! The sad part is I don't even play games or anything tbh. I just sit on my phone and watch netflix and stuff. It's more that I like to have routines but none of my previous ones have worked for me. I base my timetables around dinner and dog walks etc. so it gets disrupted alot because only my parents control when these happen so I end up having to skip sessions and it just doesn't work for me.

don't make your timetable too strict, just have a daily goal eg. "i'll revise an hour of physics today and do geogrraphy practice questions for half an hour"

I already tried doing that and I think to myself "I'm so ready to revise! I watched so many YouTubers revision techniques that got them to get amazing scores" but I really can't motivate myself, there are so many things I could do instead like watch YouTube videos, Netflix or play video games and once I start to revise I just can't be bothered to do any more revision and I feel like I'm just digging myself a deeper and deeper hole so when I try to get out of it, it will be too late.... if you know what I mean...... so I need help ASAP! Like a punch in the face (I'm being metaphorical) so I'll finally do it. I just want it to be quick ad effective but I can't even seem to find a good way to revise! Like OMG I'm so stressed and worried over this!

if the fact that you're stressed doesn't motivate you, then i don't know what will. gcses are not the end of the world, but you definitely should be considering them important. you need to force yourself to move away from these distractions, and realise that they're your priority. video games and youtube videos will always be available for you to play but gcses are one chance, then you're done.
Original post by lanababe78
hi!

This is actually really good advice! Because I can’t be bothered to revise this is a nice and quick way to revise while getting effective revision. Thank you so much! 🙉
(edited 6 years ago)
don't make your timetable too strict, just have a daily goal eg. "i'll revise an hour of physics today and do geogrraphy practice questions for half an hour"

if the fact that you're stressed doesn't motivate you, then i don't know what will. gcses are not the end of the world, but you definitely should be considering them important. you need to force yourself to move away from these distractions, and realise that they're your priority. video games and youtube videos will always be available for you to play but gcses are one chance, then you're done.

I understand what you mean completely and stress does motivate me but I’m the kind of person that gets bored quickly or gets too stressed and i feel like giving up. Literally, my type of procrastination is not “I’ll do it later” it’s “I don’t care anymore! I try so hard at school yet I can’t understand this simple topic, how are other people understanding this?” Or when I’m stressed about exams being so close “Oh well, I clearly can’t do this, I’ll just work as a cashier for the rest of my life”. I really REALLY want rob get motivated but the stress and amount of work just makes me lose motivation. It’s not that YouTube and video games are my addiction and are stopping me from revision, it’s the fact that’s im overwhelmed by the importance of these exams, how much I need fo remember and how much i need to revise. For some reason the stress doesn’t motivate me enough, even though I really want to revise. However, I read a previous reply on this thread and it seems kind of simple to do and sounds like it won’t overwhelm me as much so I’ll try that and hopefully it will work. Thank you for taking your time to reply but if that technique won’t work then I think there’s literally nothing i can do at this point because my thick skull won’t let my brain understand that I HAVE TO revise. Maybe when it’s closer to exams I’ll feel more pressure so I’ll actually revise. 🙊
This is actually really good advice! Because I can’t be bothered to revise this is a nice and quick way to revise while getting effective revision. Thank you so much! 🙉

i'm so glad this helped! i wish you all the best with revision and exams! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending