Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the 16th of February, I'm going to have an interview with a sixth form to decide whether they will accept me or not and I'm really anxious about it and I don't know if I'll be able to do it! This is my first interview to a sixth form EVER and I have a problem with speaking to strangers about anything that is about me and the worst thing is that it's kind of personal because I'll have to convince them why they should accept me, right? Is it ok to wear my school uniform, because it's at 1pm so I'll be heading there from school? Do I have to act a certain way? Do I need to use 'big' words? This interview is also a problem for me because we had a practise interview at school with real employers and it went horribly for me: I wasn't looking them in the eyes the whole time because I was so nervous and anxious; I didn't know what to talk about so I was saying random things that I thought would fit the topic because I was so scared to say ANYTHING wrong; and when they gave us our report sheets back, the things that they were looking for in us everyone had ticked excellent for theirs and for mine I had everything on ok, not even a good just ok, even my appearance and I made sure that my uniform didn't have any creases, my shoes were clean and I had my hair in a nice ponytail so I don't know what they expected me to do. Before those interviews, we had a lady come in and explain how you should act in interviews and she was telling us things like: perform two knocks on the door and wait for them to let you in, when you come in have a big smile on your face throughout the whole interview and walk with great posture, shake their hand firmly for 5 seconds, don't sit down before they do and tell you to sit down, speak with long sentences and 'big' words and other things like that. She even showed us how to enter the interview room and she got a boy from my class to do it and she told him to do it again 5 times and I didn't see anything wrong with how he was walking. I am extremely stressed and I would love to get as much help - practical and emotional - as I can because I really want to get accepted. If this will help, then my chosen A Levels are Mathematics (not the mechanical ones but the ones that are similar as we do at school, I think it's called statistics), Geography and Business and if I can't do any of these subjects then History. Also, my predicted grades are: English Lang and Lit- 6, Geography- 6, History- 6, Science- 6, Maths- 7, French- 4 and PE- Merit. And I already have a GCSE in Polish and I got an A. Even if you have little advice, then I'll still take it. :afraid:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by martynacz2)
    On the 16th of February, I'm going to have an interview with a sixth form to decide whether they will accept me or not and I'm really anxious about it and I don't know if I'll be able to do it! This is my first interview to a sixth form EVER and I have a problem with speaking to strangers about anything that is about me and the worst thing is that it's kind of personal because I'll have to convince them why they should accept me, right? Is it ok to wear my school uniform, because it's at 1pm so I'll be heading there from school? Do I have to act a certain way? Do I need to use 'big' words? This interview is also a problem for me because we had a practise interview at school with real employers and it went horribly for me: I wasn't looking them in the eyes the whole time because I was so nervous and anxious; I didn't know what to talk about so I was saying random things that I thought would fit the topic because I was so scared to say ANYTHING wrong; and when they gave us our report sheets back, the things that they were looking for in us everyone had ticked excellent for theirs and for mine I had everything on ok, not even a good just ok, even my appearance and I made sure that my uniform didn't have any creases, my shoes were clean and I had my hair in a nice ponytail so I don't know what they expected me to do. Before those interviews, we had a lady come in and explain how you should act in interviews and she was telling us things like: perform two knocks on the door and wait for them to let you in, when you come in have a big smile on your face throughout the whole interview and walk with great posture, shake their hand firmly for 5 seconds, don't sit down before they do and tell you to sit down, speak with long sentences and 'big' words and other things like that. She even showed us how to enter the interview room and she got a boy from my class to do it and she told him to do it again 5 times and I didn't see anything wrong with how he was walking. I am extremely stressed and I would love to get as much help - practical and emotional - as I can because I really want to get accepted. If this will help, then my chosen A Levels are Mathematics (not the mechanical ones but the ones that are similar as we do at school, I think it's called statistics), Geography and Business and if I can't do any of these subjects then History. Also, my predicted grades are: English Lang and Lit- 6, Geography- 6, History- 6, Science- 6, Maths- 7, French- 4 and PE- Merit. And I already have a GCSE in Polish and I got an A. Even if you have little advice, then I'll still take it. :afraid:
    Relax - you're over thinking things

Sixth form interviewers will know that this is your first "proper" interview. They will be trying to help you to relax so that they can get the information they need from you.

Be polite, be alert (ie pay attention - when they tell you their name, remember it and use it!) and if you're feeling nervous then say so. They're interested in finding out what you're interested in and what your attitude to your studies, your fellow students and your teachers is like. If you want to impress then do some digging on the website to find out if they have a mission or values and use some of the words they use to describe themselves to describe you

When they ask if you have any questions then if you feel like you've been too nervous and given short/one word answers ask if they've got enough from you to make a decision or if they'd like you to tell them something else about yourself...and ask when you'll find out the result.

School uniform is fine :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Relax - you're over thinking things

Sixth form interviewers will know that this is your first "proper" interview. They will be trying to help you to relax so that they can get the information they need from you.

Be polite, be alert (ie pay attention - when they tell you their name, remember it and use it!) and if you're feeling nervous then say so. They're interested in finding out what you're interested in and what your attitude to your studies, your fellow students and your teachers is like. If you want to impress then do some digging on the website to find out if they have a mission or values and use some of the words they use to describe themselves to describe you

When they ask if you have any questions then if you feel like you've been too nervous and given short/one word answers ask if they've got enough from you to make a decision or if they'd like you to tell them something else about yourself...and ask when you'll find out the result.

School uniform is fine :yes:
    Thank you so much. I’ll try my best to be calm and collected.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.