Turn on thread page Beta

should i take my english lang this year? need help asap watch

so basically my class is doing early entry for english language (and biology) this year, im in year 10 and i have a choice to do it or withdraw and i dont know if i should do it. this is because i had a good/ alrightish teacher at the beginning of the year, eventhough i kind of dislike english we did the right work and learnt something. unfortunatley the teacher left at christmas and after like a month of supply ( and not doing ANYTHING) we got a new teacher. the problem is this teacher knows we are doing early entry but likes to focus on literature on half the lessons and goes on about how we need to remember macbeth quotes which is so irrelevent. we tried speaking to him but he continues and plus our timetable is too full so we have 6th period and we dont even go anymore i dont know why. so basically we dont learn anything were supposed to and we focus on story mountains for 2 bloody weeks like wth. i dont know if i should take it anymore. does anyone know what i should do i have like 2 months left.
    p.s. i have a private tutor but i dont think its enough and i have a lot to do i try and revise but i have a lot on my plate but i dont want it to be more next year kinda since im struggling with 2 this year. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I did my science, maths and English language exams in year 10 and I was so glad to get them out of the way as it was less stressful in year 11 when I had to do 8 subjects. Although, if I were you I would talk to a senior teacher about this issue as not only does it affect your future (because securing an English Lang grade is important for some universities as you need at least a B/C) but also because it seems like your whole class is having the same issue. School's care about their grades more than their students (sadly) so if you wanted to talk to them make sure you emphasise how the WHOLE class is struggling therefore the WHOLE class would get bad grades. Then they could sort out the teaching issue. In year 12, my school had a similar issue with our English Lang teacher leaving for health reasons so we were left with the English Lit teacher who didn't know anything. What we did was make sure we studied the texts, looked up online for notes and annotations (Sparknotes is a good one) and we revised on our own. Also, make sure you know how to answer the exam questions and then practise them so you're prepared. You could also ask your school if you failed the English Lang exam, would you be able to resit in year 11 as that's what some people did in my school if they failed or didn't get the grade they wanted.
    Hope this helps, and sorry about your current situation (it sucks).

(Original post by NiamhWilliams24)
    Hi there,
    I did my science, maths and English language exams in year 10 and I was so glad to get them out of the way as it was less stressful in year 11 when I had to do 8 subjects. Although, if I were you I would talk to a senior teacher about this issue as not only does it affect your future (because securing an English Lang grade is important for some universities as you need at least a B/C) but also because it seems like your whole class is having the same issue. School's care about their grades more than their students (sadly) so if you wanted to talk to them make sure you emphasise how the WHOLE class is struggling therefore the WHOLE class would get bad grades. Then they could sort out the teaching issue. In year 12, my school had a similar issue with our English Lang teacher leaving for health reasons so we were left with the English Lit teacher who didn't know anything. What we did was make sure we studied the texts, looked up online for notes and annotations (Sparknotes is a good one) and we revised on our own. Also, make sure you know how to answer the exam questions and then practise them so you're prepared. You could also ask your school if you failed the English Lang exam, would you be able to resit in year 11 as that's what some people did in my school if they failed or didn't get the grade they wanted.
    Hope this helps, and sorry about your current situation (it sucks).
    thanks this helped its just i feel a bit stressed and pressured cuz i have a lot to cover in little time but ill manage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks this helped its just i feel a bit stressed and pressured cuz i have a lot to cover in little time but ill manage
    No problem, it will be a lot but it will be so worth it because you'll have more time to focus on your other subjects next year. Just don't get too stressed as your mental health is important too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.