Turn on thread page Beta

Made a HUGE mistake on my personal statement!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay long story short my personal statement for masters was limited to 3000 characters and I had written that thinking it was without spaces and uploaded it and sent off my application. I looked back at my application a few day after it was sent and saw that the last six sentences had been missing and went back on my word document and found out that everything that was uploaded went up to 3000 characters so they DID take spaces into the character count

I don’t know what to do since it is already sent off and references already uploaded, I sent an email regarding this and attached the full ver of my PS but have no reply. 😨

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy_dogers)
    Okay long story short my personal statement for masters was limited to 3000 characters and I had written that thinking it was without spaces and uploaded it and sent off my application. I looked back at my application a few day after it was sent and saw that the last four sentences had been missing and went back on my word document and found out that everything that was uploaded went up to 3000 characters so they DID take spaces into the character count

I don’t know what to do since it is already sent off and references already uploaded, I sent an email regarding this and attached the full ver of my PS but have no reply. 😨
    oh no!!!!!
    4 sentences....no uni for you

ReputationRep:
    No point worrying about it if you can’t change it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowtestbeta)
    oh no!!!!!
    4 sentences....no uni for you
    Thanks for your useless input Steve but if the personal statement ends in the middle of a sentence and important information was written in the concluding sentences then yes it’s pretty important

ReputationRep:
    Lol I had Goldsmiths written in one instance on my SOAS application. Trust me, this is minor 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    Lol I had Goldsmiths written in one instance on my SOAS application. Trust me, this is minor 😂
    I really hope not since this is my first choice course but I’m gonna try stay positive 😭

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has any solutions since the uni hasn’t responded to my email or even got any stories that turned out well for them regarding something similar that’d be helpful
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If anyone has any solutions since the uni hasn’t responded to my email or even got any stories that turned out well for them regarding something similar that’d be helpful
    The uni isn't going to look at the full version of your PS as it's too long and would be giving you an unfair advantage. They will judge you on the information in the application form only. If you want to write a condensed version that does fit into the 3000 characters they may look at that, but they don't have to take it into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The uni isn't going to look at the full version of your PS as it's too long and would be giving you an unfair advantage. They will judge you on the information in the application form only. If you want to write a condensed version that does fit into the 3000 characters they may look at that, but they don't have to take it into consideration.
    Nah, I applied to 6 very popular universities in the UK for MSc Management or MSc International Business and in almost every case my personal statement was 10% - 30% bigger than the "limit" (but not too long, and included important information). Where I couldn't write it because of a character limit, I uploaded it as a word document instead.
    Guess what, 4 offers within 2-4 working days.

I assumed that they mostly focus on the quality of your personal statement and your overall application, and the "limit" they mention is to discourage the 99% of the students to "break the rules" and write very long and tiring statements. Took a risk, it paid off!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What course/university is it for?

If they haven’t responded to your email then ring them up.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry!
    My dad does the interviews for Oxford and I can't say too much but he always says that personal statements are nearly never looked at unless there are two very similar applicants as nearly everything is decided in an interview.
    If you've got good grades and are enthusiastic about your subject then you'll be fine.
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ring them, you'll get a much faster answer.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lia.e)
    Don't worry!
    My dad does the interviews for Oxford and I can't say too much but he always says that personal statements are nearly never looked at unless there are two very similar applicants as nearly everything is decided in an interview.
    If you've got good grades and are enthusiastic about your subject then you'll be fine.
    Good luck!
    I'm not sure how relevant your anecdotal hearsay is for a postgraduate application that likely doesn't include an interview

ReputationRep:
    Even if it stops you from getting the university you want (which I doubt it will)! You cant always take a gap year then reapply

ReputationRep:
    I recently made an application for this really competitive "prestigious" programme. I spent so much time perfecting it being anal about every single little detail. Come time to apply I decided to be extra anal and send myself the email before sending it to them just to see how it looked. I had entered their email address before doing that and forgot that I had done that. When I pressed send I was prompted to enter a subject for the email so I just tapped random keys on the keyboard. This was just a test run sent to my own email address after all. I waited a couple of mins to receive my own email. Of course nothing arrives. I find out that I had actually sent them the application. The subject of the email??????? "ASS"!!! ... I had to call them up and apologise for the subject header....lol I cringe every time I remember this.

They turned me down. I'm not sure whether my silly mistake had a big impact on their decision though I'm sure it played a part. I know some friends who made similar silly mistakes to you in their PS when they applied for uni. Some got rejected others got accepted...so yeah, I'm not even sure that these little things matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilarasmyth)
    Even if it stops you from getting the university you want (which I doubt it will)! You cant always take a gap year then reapply
    Honestly as much as I want to get into this course, I wouldn’t mind doing this either but I’m the type of person who wants to get academics out of the way so I can start my working career and gain lots of experience a bit earlier ! But thank you this is really reassuring 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What course/university is it for?

If they haven’t responded to your email then ring them up.
    It’s for UCL and their extremely competitive Developmental Psychology course (160 applicants for 12 spaces)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    I recently made an application for this really competitive "prestigious" programme. I spent so much time perfecting it being anal about every single little detail. Come time to apply I decided to be extra anal and send myself the email before sending it to them just to see how it looked. I had entered their email address before doing that and forgot that I had done that. When I pressed send I was prompted to enter a subject for the email so I just tapped random keys on the keyboard. This was just a test run sent to my own email address after all. I waited a couple of mins to receive my own email. Of course nothing arrives. I find out that I had actually sent them the application. The subject of the email??????? "ASS"!!! ... I had to call them up and apologise for the subject header....lol I cringe every time I remember this.

They turned me down. I'm not sure whether my silly mistake had a big impact on their decision though I'm sure it played a part. I know some friends who made similar silly mistakes to you in their PS when they applied for uni. Some got rejected others got accepted...so yeah, I'm not even sure that these little things matter.
    LMAO I’m sorry that’s absolutely hilarious, did you end up reapplying the following year?

ReputationRep:
    LMAO I’m sorry that’s absolutely hilarious, did you end up reapplying the following year?
    lol...This is pretty recent....but yeah, no. I won't be reapplying, no way......I panicked after I sent them the email and the way I went about handling the situation afterwords they'll remember me for the next ten years. Oh its that's weird fellow....he's applied again...quick send him a rejection. There's no way I'll ever be able to salvage this....lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thought I’d update and luckily they decided to upload my full personal statement and judge that instead so fingers crossed! And thanks for your help/reassuring stories lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.