Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE options urgent help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm picking my GCSE options tomorrow, I want to go into law when I'm older and I was going to pick History, French and either: Sociology or Drama. However, I'm having second thoughts and I'm thinking about 'What if I change my mind and want to be a doctor in the future?' Now, I'm thinking about taking triple science , instead of doing combined science (which is compulsory). I do want to do drama/sociology though. Would Triple Science, History and French be manageable? Could anyone offer any advice?

ReputationRep:
    If you are willing to work hard then it will be manageable. Also it is a good idea to pick subjects you enjoy becsue it will make revision easier otherwise you will just get lazy (I wish I knew this when I picked my options). Do some research and have a desussion about this with your parents.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Triple science, history, and French would most definitely NOT be manageable, you would crumble under the amount of content required.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeetrdfmbr)
    Triple science, history, and French would most definitely NOT be manageable, you would crumble under the amount of content required.
    I do triple science, history and Spanish and they are all manageable so as long you are decent at all the subjects you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    why do you have a Nazi flag as a pp?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree. Although history is very content heavy, this combination is manageable (personally I do triple science, French, History plus Latin, German and Spanish)

If you know you like those subjects and want to put effort into them then I would go with that. For GCSE honestly just do whatever you like unless it's limiting - I would personally recommend taking triple science but it's not worth it if you're weak in one science or if you don't like science.

(Original post by a.plane)
    Also it is a good idea to pick subjects you enjoy becsue it will make revision easier otherwise you will just get lazy
    This is something you need to bear in mind.

If you need help or want to know about any of the subjects I do (mentioned above) feel free to ask. Don't let the workload discourage you - it's definitely not impossible to do those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not Nazi lol, it’s the Imperial German Kriegsmarine flag from WWI

ReputationRep:
    History is a nasty GCSE and Alevel in my opinion as it involves memorising lots of dates, names and content as well as being good at writing essays (I didn’t study it but I admire those who do).
    My favourite and best GCSEs were triple Science (recommend personally), French and Maths. I am a med applicant and I did chem, bio, maths and French at AS and do chem, bio and maths at Alevel. I don’t regret it at all 😀 If you want to do law, you’ll need an essay writing subject but it doesn’t have to be history! (Though most people do) it can be English lit and RS/RE. If you want to do medicine, you need sciences. Just do the subjects you like the most though, that’s the best advice honestly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll be triple science. I'm going to pick History, French and either: Drama or Sociology. What should I pick Sociology or Drama?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my a levels now, applying to medicine this year. tbh I don't think the gcse subjects matter, as long as you can get good grades in them. So pick subjects you are good at and would enjoy. The a levels you choose are what determines which degree you can apply for

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your advice. I ended up picking History, French & Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, my sister took History, Triple, Spanish and Art, and I'm taking Geography, Triple, Spanish, French and Drama it is 10/10 manageable if you like the subjects. What wouldn't be manageable is Textiles, Art, Photography, Music and Drama

ReputationRep:
    I picked my GCSE options last year. My advice: choose subjects you know you will really enjoy because you social life really begins to change during Year 10 and you need something you enjoy to keep you going and want something you know you will want to learn more about. You will most likely change your mind on your career so choose a range of subjects that will give you a qualification you know you'll need to get a job you want. Don't pick the hardest subjects because the amount of work you have to do will literally destroy you.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve picked History French and Triple science for the same reasons and I think it’s manageable if you actually like the subjects

ReputationRep:
    I can't really comment on Triple Science but you don't really need it. My school doesn't even offer Triple Science but we have pupils here getting offers for Medicine so I'd say Combined is fine.

But if you want to take Triple Science, just be prepared to work hard. Well, you should be prepared to do that anyway. History's pretty manageable though I can't speak for Spanish.

Whatever you do, you'll be fine. I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Do not do triple science I REPEAT do not do triple science I was getting 9s and now I’m getting 4s barely!! It’s not worth the risk you can still become a doctor if you only have science

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.