Turn on thread page Beta

Can I request a smear test? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’ll be 27 next month. I had my first smear test a couple of months before my 25th birthday, at that point I wasn’t on any contraceptives and everything was fine.
    I have up to now been on different contraceptives and last november I had my implant taken out. I no that being on a contraceptive makes your cervix look different. I’m not on anything at the moment and don’t plan on going on anything, I was just wondering if I could request a smear test too see if everything looks ok. I’m not really having any problems. I can ache quite a bit but I don’t no if that’s just everything going back to normal. I’ve bled after sex once which worried me but there was only a little bit of blood and I just thought I was because I was due on my period and my cervix was low?
    My first period after having my implant taken out was the heaviest period I’ve ever had. It seems to have gotten better as months have gone on.
    I don’t think my next smear test will be until next year but was wondering if I could request one?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EmilyLouiseR)
    I’ll be 27 next month. I had my first smear test a couple of months before my 25th birthday, at that point I wasn’t on any contraceptives and everything was fine.
    I have up to now been on different contraceptives and last november I had my implant taken out. I no that being on a contraceptive makes your cervix look different. I’m not on anything at the moment and don’t plan on going on anything, I was just wondering if I could request a smear test too see if everything looks ok. I’m not really having any problems. I can ache quite a bit but I don’t no if that’s just everything going back to normal. I’ve bled after sex once which worried me but there was only a little bit of blood and I just thought I was because I was due on my period and my cervix was low?
    My first period after having my implant taken out was the heaviest period I’ve ever had. It seems to have gotten better as months have gone on.
    I don’t think my next smear test will be until next year but was wondering if I could request one?
    You can request, but they may not oblige. Because a smear test isn't used to diagnose, rather prevent cancer, you should visit your GP or gynaecologist to talk about any symptoms you are worried about.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd speak to your nurse/GP. I think it depends on the GP to be honest, as some may be happy to help set your mind at rest wheras if you are not having any symptoms that really warrant a smear test then it may be deemed unnecessary. Smear tests only really diagnose abnormal cells, but if you are having pain/bleeding they may investigate through an ultrasound or other tests for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.