Turn on thread page Beta

If you got majority A* for GCSE how did you revise for each subject? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm in year 10 and I was just wondering how you guys revised for GCSE if you got majority A*. In case you're wondering these are the subjects I took and the current grades I am for each of them (if it's in capitals then I don't really need revision tips for that subject)
    Maths
    English Lliterature
    English Language
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    RE
    Geography
    German
    Food Preperation and Nutrition
    ART TEXTILES

ReputationRep:
    Flash cards for foreign languages
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different so what worked for me may not work for you, but I’ll share my tips anyway!

For me it’s writing things out. Making notes as often as I can, with textbooks and first and then without and seeing how much I can remember. Answering past paper questions is important for every single subject, be that Maths or German! It really helps to develop exam technique and you can see the gaps in your knowledge when you mark the questions. I also sound like a mad woman but I talk myself through each topic too to test my understanding. Cue cards work well, especially for key vocab in languages. My best advice is don’t just read the book and read over your notes, it won’t go in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Hey guys! I'm in year 10 and I was just wondering how you guys revised for GCSE if you got majority A*. In case you're wondering these are the subjects I took and the current grades I am for each of them (if it's in capitals then I don't really need revision tips for that subject)
    Maths
    English Lliterature
    English Language
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    RE
    Geography
    German
    ART TEXTILES
    I got 8A*s (rest were As)and for Maths you kinda just have to grind the papers and get used to tough questions and also watch out for silly mistakes same for English Lang

For English LIt, I got a feel for the text and memories key quotes and then grinded out essays using those quote.

For the sciences go through the CGP and past papers and you'll do well.

RE go through papers and see what answers get the best marks.

Geography i just used flashcards to memorise the processes

ReputationRep:
    For maths, I did lots of questions & used MyMaths, making sure to complete (with 100%) every single thing there.
    Pretty much the same with the sciences, I made notes and would revise from them, then do lots of practice papers/questions.
    For English Language, I bought a CGP book and that helped me a lot in terms of techniques. I also did lots of practice papers to familiarise myself with the timings for each question.
    For English Literature, I made A4 sheets for each theme covered in each novel/play, making sure to include relevant quotes, analysis, context and writer’s intentions. I also made lists of most important quotes per chapter/act. For poetry I pretty much did the same thing and covered the themes, most important quotes and context for each poem.
    For German, I used to write ‘model answers’ for the lists of oral questions given by our exam board then try to learn them or know how to answer them at least. I’d also record myself because I found this helped quite a lot. And also I made sure to regularly learn vocab!
    For Geography, I just made notes and made sure to remember everything.
    Those are all the subjects I did that I have in common with you

ReputationRep:
    dont bother writing a timetable unless you really think you can stick to it - i failed completely trying to keep with it and it just caused me more stress. luckily i did fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Maths
    English Lliterature
    English Language
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    RE
    Geography
    German
    ART TEXTILES
    Maths - Practice practice practice
    English - Mr Bruff (Search on youtube). Mind-maps with quotes. Planning questions.
    Science - Condensed info onto flashcards. Past papers
    Languages - Memrise to learn the vocab.

ReputationRep:
    What was your grade in Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dea25)
    For maths, I did lots of questions & used MyMaths, making sure to complete (with 100%) every single thing there.
    Pretty much the same with the sciences, I made notes and would revise from them, then do lots of practice papers/questions.
    For English Language, I bought a CGP book and that helped me a lot in terms of techniques. I also did lots of practice papers to familiarise myself with the timings for each question.
    For English Literature, I made A4 sheets for each theme covered in each novel/play, making sure to include relevant quotes, analysis, context and writer’s intentions. I also made lists of most important quotes per chapter/act. For poetry I pretty much did the same thing and covered the themes, most important quotes and context for each poem.
    For German, I used to write ‘model answers’ for the lists of oral questions given by our exam board then try to learn them or know how to answer them at least. I’d also record myself because I found this helped quite a lot. And also I made sure to regularly learn vocab!
    For Geography, I just made notes and made sure to remember everything.
    Those are all the subjects I did that I have in common with you
    Sooo...what were your grades may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Personally I found it soo helpful to make detailed revision notes (like mostly in bullet points) for everything WELL in advance - like in preparation for year 10 exams I had nearly everything done. Then as you go into year 11 and get towards mocks you've already got notes on most things and you just need to top them up a bit with the newer topics!

Also nearer the time it really helps a lot to do as many past papers and questions as you can just to get a feel for what sort of thing they ask and how it's worded.

Once my notes were done (by about mocks) I was able to relax for a while instead of frantically worrying about cramming a load of rushed revision into a short time - all I did during exam period was read through my notes a few times and do some past papers!

Good luck

Edit: forgot to mention my grades sorry!! I got all A* apart from an A in RS

ReputationRep:
    Chew gum whilst reading or writing notes down, then if you want to remember it later on-chew the same flavour gum and it really helps!

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you do new spec? or A* - E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannHash)
    Sooo...what were your grades may I ask?
    I got two 9s, one 8 (I was 3 marks off a 9 and so was given the chance to have my papers remarked but at that time I was content with an 8 and didn’t want to spend £100+ to get my papers remarked + there was a possibility that I didn’t get that 9 so I didn’t take it but honestly now I sort of regret that decision), six A*s and one A, which was in Fine Art - I honestly regret taking it so much :/

Also good luck to everyone doing their GCSEs this year - you guys have it much harder than us, bless your souls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dea25)
    I got two 9s, one 8 (I was 3 marks off a 9 and so was given the chance to have my papers remarked but at that time I was content with an 8 and didn’t want to spend £100+ to get my papers remarked + there was a possibility that I didn’t get that 9 so I didn’t take it but honestly now I sort of regret that decision), six A*s and one A, which was in Fine Art - I honestly regret taking it so much :/

Also good luck to everyone doing their GCSEs this year - you guys have it much harder than us, bless your souls
    Woweeeee That is absolutely Amazing you should be really proud and yea I think you should have taken that 8 to be remarked because then they would have given your money back but anyway it was probs meant to be! Now here is a slight question that I am urging to know... How did you revise and I know that we all revise and learn differently, however, I want to have some inspiration and know the different techniques that a smart student like you did. x

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.