Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stuck answering this question: Why is it important to complete the whole course of antibiotics and not just stop once you feel better?

ReputationRep:
    Can you directly quote the question?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiko M)
    Stuck answering this question: Why is it important to complete the whole course of antibiotics and not just stop once you feel better?
    Just because u are feeling better does not mean that the viruses are gone, if u have not taken the whole course of antibiotics there’s is a chance of there still being a virus

ReputationRep:
    If you stop antibiotics prematurely, they may have killed off enough bacteria so you have no more symptoms but you still may have a few left. Those few can then reproduce and you’ll get ill again and/or allow them to mutate to become resistant to the antibiotics which is an issue because then antibiotics can’t treat that new strain. Not finishing courses is one of the contributors to the growing issue of antibiotic resistance in bacteria.

ReputationRep:
    Because there still will be remaining cells of the virus, if the whole course is not finished then the remaining cells will reproduce and make you ill again

ReputationRep:
    Based on the answers written here I just want to stress something: Antibiotics kill bacteria ONLY. They dont target viruses.. Like those that cause the common cold. Don't say viruses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucycotterrell)
    Because there still will be remaining cells of the virus, if the whole course is not finished then the remaining cells will reproduce and make you ill again
    Antibiotics don't kill viruses . And viruses don't consist of cells, they are DNA/RNA coated in a protein coat and have no cellular structure, so this is not correct.

ReputationRep:
    If the entire course of antibiotics is not finished it may not kill all the bacteria causing the infection. Remaining bacteria that have been exposed to the antibiotic but not killed by it may mutate and reproduce causing a resistant strain of bacteria to that type of antibiotic. This will have consequences for human health if more strains of resistant bacteria develop because it will make it harder to fight future infections as the antibiotic will be ineffective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleatorio)
    Antibiotics don't kill bacteria. And viruses don't consist of cells, they are DNA/RNA coated in a protein coat and have no cellular structure, so this is not correct.
    Antibiotics can be bacteriostatic so stop growth of the bacteria (e.g. not allow its cell wall to develop) or bacteriocidal and kill bacteria (such as damaging the cell membrane so all its contents spill out). So no not all antibiotics kill bacteria, but some do have that ability to kill by certain mechanisms or target parts of the bacteria essential roots survival.
    (That’s not necessary at GCSE btw, you only need to know about the antibiotic resistance. Being aware of the whole types of antibiotic thing just helps in understanding why certain antibiotics work for certain bacteria dependant on how they work!)😊
    I hope we’ve helped you and not confused you by the way!!

ReputationRep:
    oh lol

ReputationRep:
    Antibiotics don't kill bacteria. And viruses don't consist of cells, they are DNA/RNA coated in a protein coat and have no cellular structure, so this is not correct.
    oh lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessAntonia:))
    Antibiotics can be bacteriostatic so stop growth of the bacteria (e.g. not allow its cell wall to develop) or bacteriocidal and kill bacteria (such as damaging the cell membrane so all its contents spill out). So no not all antibiotics kill bacteria, but some do have that ability to kill by certain mechanisms or target parts of the bacteria essential roots survival.
    (That’s not necessary at GCSE btw, you only need to know about the antibiotic resistance. Being aware of the whole types of antibiotic thing just helps in understanding why certain antibiotics work for certain bacteria dependant on how they work!)😊
    I hope we’ve helped you and not confused you by the way!!
    Oh yeah I know sorry that was a typo, I meant to say bacteria - I'm a uni student so I'm not taking GCSEs but it came up on the homepage and I saw people saying antibiotics kill viruses.. Just wanted to clear that up

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I know sorry that was a typo, I meant to say bacteria - I'm a uni student so I'm not taking GCSEs but it came up on the homepage and I saw people saying antibiotics kill viruses.. Just wanted to clear that up
    I have to say I read the first sentence and got super confused! Although yeah they totally don’t affect viruses. Thought I’d do the same thing as you and help clear things up haha. I’m not taking GCSEs either but happen to be covering bacteria right now in my A Level class so thought I might as well help out if I could😂

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.