Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talking with a teacher in my school due to being from a poor background, he notified me and asked if I wanted to apply to the Foundation year at Oxford. However the issue is, it isn't guaranteed and I'd like to go, but I want to know the percentage of people that go from the Foundation year to Oxford. I don't want to be wasting time to not get into university due to a chance at Oxford.
    I am also holding 4 University offers currently at Lancaster, Sheffield, Bradford and Heriot Watt.
    The teacher also said in his eyes it isn't worth it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you should definitely at least apply - and then if you get in you can make the decision then! For some statistics, I'm pretty sure all of the 1st foundation year cohort except for 2 people got into Oxford Uni in the end, so I'm sure if you get on it and make full use of the program then you'd be offered a place. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    YES IT IS.

Apply!

If you want to get into Oxford, you need to atleast experience it.
    Imagine how hypocritical you'll be if you only apply to Oxford through UCAS - get rejected each time but don't apply for the foundation year!

Apply for it!

Also, check out MissVars on youtube (wonderful black woman)

Also nega166 the 2 people didn't apply to Oxford again after the foundation year because they didn't want to go. The program isn't so you get offered a place, the program is to remove inequalities between private schooled and state schooled candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    YES IT IS.

Apply!

If you want to get into Oxford, you need to atleast experience it.
    Imagine how hypocritical you'll be if you only apply to Oxford through UCAS - get rejected each time but don't apply for the foundation year!

Apply for it!

Also, check out MissVars on youtube (wonderful black woman)

Also nega166 the 2 people didn't apply to Oxford again after the foundation year because they didn't want to go. The program isn't so you get offered a place, the program is to remove inequalities between private schooled and state schooled candidates.
    Just piggybacking off of this, the program is indeed to equip disadvantaged students to thrive at *any* Russell Group uni, not just Oxford (or Cambridge), but the student was mentioning "a chance at Oxford" so I was just letting him know that should he get on the program and perform well, there's no reason why he wouldn't get in.

Also I didn't know that those 2 people didn't apply - my bad! So essentially everyone that applied from the foundation year was offered a place? In some sense that is more reassuring for OP, if he wants to go to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nega166)
    Just piggybacking off of this, the program is indeed to equip disadvantaged students to thrive at *any* Russell Group uni, not just Oxford (or Cambridge), but the student was mentioning "a chance at Oxford" so I was just letting him know that should he get on the program and perform well, there's no reason why he wouldn't get in.

Also I didn't know that those 2 people didn't apply - my bad! So essentially everyone that applied from the foundation year was offered a place? In some sense that is more reassuring for OP, if he wants to go to Oxford.
    Yes but not everyone gets into the foundation year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Yes but not everyone gets into the foundation year!
    LOL I probably won't even get an offer. I did send in my application but I feel like my grades combined with my essay wasn't the greatest as it was rushed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nega166)

Would you be able to apply to Cambridge while on the program?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beastylki579)
    LOL I probably won't even get an offer. I did send in my application but I feel like my grades combined with my essay wasn't the greatest as it was rushed.
    Did you get in?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.