Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any point in small people doing jujitsu? watch

ReputationRep:
    I asked on a forum whether the martial art Jujitsu would help a small built woman (say 5ft) in self defence if she was attacked. I got one reply and it said

'A small woman who is a black belt in a grappling art..... Sorry, but it just doesn't work. Problem with grappling arts like jujitsu is you need to be a similar size to (or bigger) than your opponent in order to make the techniques work. That's why I cringe when I see BJJ schools offering "women's self defence" classes.'

Is this true, is there no point in a short small built woman doing traditional jujitsu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    I asked on a forum whether the martial art Jujitsu would help a small built woman (say 5ft) in self defence if she was attacked. I got one reply and it said

'A small woman who is a black belt in a grappling art..... Sorry, but it just doesn't work. Problem with grappling arts like jujitsu is you need to be a similar size to (or bigger) than your opponent in order to make the techniques work. That's why I cringe when I see BJJ schools offering "women's self defence" classes.'

Is this true, is there no point in a short small built woman doing traditional jujitsu?
    MMA is better as it combines all self-defence methods together. And if your 5ft then you have a decent chance of putting someone to bed. Use your size to your advantage👌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osnapitzibby)
    MMA is better as it combines all self-defence methods together. And if your 5ft then you have a decent chance of putting someone to bed. Use your size to your advantage👌
    They only have jujitsu, karate and kickboxing where I live. I tried kickboxing everyone was huge so I figured id be **** lol. I tried jujitsu and its the same everyone is tall. I enjoy jujitsu and learned how to throw someone but I can't throw very tall people because I can't get them onto my hips, their legs are too long. If that makes sense. Jujitsu has elements of karate and involves striking so I figured this is the best one.

„Well, the whole philosophy of BJJ and its apparent genesis is based on the principle of technique effectiveness of thesmall man when faced with the problem of the opposition’s size and strengthadvantages. This is quite heavily emphasised by people like Helio Gracie who really was the guy who kickstarted modern-day BJJ.

ReputationRep:
    No. It depends on the dojo, but you could, eventually, learn techniques that would allow you to quickly incapacitate, or kill, an attacker. As has been said, it's not the fastest way to learn self-defence.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    No. It depends on the dojo, but you could, eventually, learn techniques that would allow you to quickly incapacitate, or kill, an attacker. As has been said, it's not the fastest way to learn self-defence.
    People go on about my size and how 'tiny' I am in real life (its very annoying ha) but surely its about strength too. Like I can do 11 full pull-ups (used to be 14) and full press ups whereas some lads struggle. I wouldn't say I'm any weaker than the average woman.

ReputationRep:

Who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. If a man is trying to rape or sexually attack you, he will always initiate a grappling match, often grabbing your wrists and pinning you down. If you learn how to actually grapple, how to do submissions (especially off your back) you could be capable of submitting men twice your size, through technique rather than strength, using their own weight against them.

I've been doing BJJ for a few years now and when new guys walk in to the gym, even 6ft plus guys, who are a lot stronger than I am, I can out grapple them because I have the skills to do so.

Hell when I first started I remember this 5ft 3ish pudgy girl just having her way with me, if she wanted to throw me off she did so effortlessly, it was almost embarrassing.

As for "traditional" Jujitsu, stay away from it, Brazillian JuJitsu is MUCH more effective. I've done both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omacmano98)
    Who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. If a man is trying to rape or sexually attack you, he will always initiate a grappling match, often grabbing your wrists and pinning you down. If you learn how to actually grapple, how to do submissions (especially off your back) you could be capable of submitting men twice your size, through technique rather than strength, using their own weight against them.

I've been doing BJJ for a few years now and when new guys walk in to the gym, even 6ft plus guys, who are a lot stronger than I am, I can out grapple them because I have the skills to do so.

Hell when I first started I remember this 5ft 3ish pudgy girl just having her way with me, if she wanted to throw me off she did so effortlessly, it was almost embarrassing.

As for "traditional" Jujitsu, stay away from it, Brazillian JuJitsu is MUCH more effective. I've done both.
    Thats what I thought if they overpower and take you to the ground surely its good to know ways to try and gain control/escape or hold them off long enough till another person walks nearby or something. Also if you had some skill you might be more likely to fight back rather than be in shock and freeze. Many people say they would try to fight back but would they really, they might be so shocked that they can't move and wouldn't know what to do.

Ive heard that Brazilian jujitsu is more brutal but what are the main differences between that and traditional in terms of self defence?

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought if they overpower and take you to the ground surely its good to know ways to try and gain control/escape or hold them off long enough till another person walks nearby or something. Also if you had some skill you might be more likely to fight back rather than be in shock and freeze. Many people say they would try to fight back but would they really, they might be so shocked that they can't move and wouldn't know what to do.

Ive heard that Brazilian jujitsu is more brutal but what are the main differences between that and traditional in terms of self defence?
    Traditional is very very specific to a certain scenarios, often starting from stand up and there are specific moves for specific scenarios. But the scenarios you train for never play out the way you are taught because every attacker will think differently. For example the move you are learning may require you to block a punch, grab his wrist and put him in a lock. But there are a million things that can go wrong, he could be left handed which means you have do the move left handed, he could punch with a jab instead of a cross, after you block he could tackle you to the ground. The scenarios you train for in traditional are too specific, you’ll have to learn thousands upon thousands of moves to counteract every situation, and then you have to build the speed to pull all the moves off. Also there is little sparring in traditional meaning you’re less prepared for a real fight.

BJJ is grappling based, in any fight you can put yourself in a grappling position to give yourself a huge advantage. You will learn how to effectively use your own weight against others and their weight against themselves, how to control people on the ground, escapes from positions and (my favourite) submissions. In BJJ you will be sparring every class which will get you acustomed to dealing with a real situation at a real pace. BJJ gives you a better foundation for self defense, where you learn fundamentals and your options are limitless in a lot of situations whereas traditional is very limited to specific situations and takes longer to get to a level where it will work on the street.

You would see progress a lot faster in BJJ than traditional.

And I wouldn’t say its brutal necessarily but it isn’t easy. It’s designed to make the uncomfortable situations comfortable. Whereas traditional is a lot less intense.
    But as they say, no pain no gain.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omacmano98)
    Traditional is very very specific to a certain scenarios, often starting from stand up and there are specific moves for specific scenarios. But the scenarios you train for never play out the way you are taught because every attacker will think differently. For example the move you are learning may require you to block a punch, grab his wrist and put him in a lock. But there are a million things that can go wrong, he could be left handed which means you have do the move left handed, he could punch with a jab instead of a cross, after you block he could tackle you to the ground. The scenarios you train for in traditional are too specific, you’ll have to learn thousands upon thousands of moves to counteract every situation, and then you have to build the speed to pull all the moves off. Also there is little sparring in traditional meaning you’re less prepared for a real fight.

BJJ is grappling based, in any fight you can put yourself in a grappling position to give yourself a huge advantage. You will learn how to effectively use your own weight against others and their weight against themselves, how to control people on the ground, escapes from positions and (my favourite) submissions. In BJJ you will be sparring every class which will get you acustomed to dealing with a real situation at a real pace. BJJ gives you a better foundation for self defense, where you learn fundamentals and your options are limitless in a lot of situations whereas traditional is very limited to specific situations and takes longer to get to a level where it will work on the street.

You would see progress a lot faster in BJJ than traditional.

And I wouldn’t say its brutal necessarily but it isn’t easy. It’s designed to make the uncomfortable situations comfortable. Whereas traditional is a lot less intense.
    But as they say, no pain no gain.
    Ah ok thanks for that it makes sense now, I'l have a look into the martial arts where I live

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.