Turn on thread page Beta

I want to get back into the gym watch

ReputationRep:
    So whilst at uni, I've been very lazy and haven't been going gym.I signed up in october but I got ill in October which basically put me out of commission from october - December. January has been a write off.I want to get both healthier and stronger.I'm not really confident with free weights especially when it comes to barbell press/deadlift (I don't think my back is that strong) - if anything I'd be willing to stay in the gym longer if I mainly had to use machines.I want to go in the gym and have a fairly simple/short routine and nothing to over complicated? The person who was assigned as my introductory personal trainer gave me a really complicated plan which made it hard to initially keep following. What would you suggest? I also want to pick up running as well - would this be a good idea? I know there's starting strength but it uses freeweights which I'm not really comfortable with one because I feel a little intimated and I go gym by myself so I have no one to spot me.Is there a machines only alternative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    So whilst at uni, I've been very lazy and haven't been going gym.I signed up in october but I got ill in October which basically put me out of commission from october - December. January has been a write off.I want to get both healthier and stronger.I'm not really confident with free weights especially when it comes to barbell press/deadlift (I don't think my back is that strong) - if anything I'd be willing to stay in the gym longer if I mainly had to use machines.I want to go in the gym and have a fairly simple/short routine and nothing to over complicated? The person who was assigned as my introductory personal trainer gave me a really complicated plan which made it hard to initially keep following. What would you suggest? I also want to pick up running as well - would this be a good idea? I know there's starting strength but it uses freeweights which I'm not really comfortable with one because I feel a little intimated and I go gym by myself so I have no one to spot me.Is there a machines only alternative?
    Start with a simple program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice cream fitness 5x5.

They both use barbells however I would like to let you know that feeling uncomfortable with it all is very normal. I was the same at first but if you follow the program diligently and keep focused you'll eventually become comfortable with it all. Its also very easy to follow and quite effective since youre mainly doing compound movements.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.