LPC with LLM add on - worth it? Watch

Bas16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I know this is a topic that has been discussed to death on TSR but my situation is slightly different.

I am self-fundig the LPC and have the option to do an extra couple of modules to make it an LLM for free. I understand that this is done to make people eligible for pg loans and that employers in the UK don't take this type of LLM seriously.

However I would like to take money out of the equation completely. Let's pretend the LPC and LLM are both completely free. The only difference being that I need to put in a bit more time and effort for the LLM. Is it worth it? Perhaps because it would have more of a standing abroad?
Or could it even be a bad thing if, say, I do really well on the LPC and then not so well on the LLM add-on?

Any thoughts however subjective would be appreciated!
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bas16)
I know this is a topic that has been discussed to death on TSR but my situation is slightly different.

I am self-fundig the LPC and have the option to do an extra couple of modules to make it an LLM for free. I understand that this is done to make people eligible for pg loans and that employers in the UK don't take this type of LLM seriously.

However I would like to take money out of the equation completely. Let's pretend the LPC and LLM are both completely free. The only difference being that I need to put in a bit more time and effort for the LLM. Is it worth it? Perhaps because it would have more of a standing abroad?
Or could it even be a bad thing if, say, I do really well on the LPC and then not so well on the LLM add-on?

No - it isn't worth it. It won't really have any more standing abroad. But it won't be a bad thing unless your grade is dragged down to a pass or worse it leads you to failing.

The only reason I'd recommend it is for the PG loan.
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 9 months ago
As mentioned above it is worth it because it lets you access the pg loan. I thought you just had to write an extra essay i.e its a bit of a gimmick, but they all seem to be doing it.
hemmingnhawing
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
agree that it's not necessarily a boost for applications, but it can be fun, particularly if you want to try an additional elective that's a bit different, e.g. criminal or employment.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It is an opportunity cost question. What else would you do in those couple of months? You can then assess whether the alternative has more value than the LLM.

I would say that the LLM add-on has at least some value. An LLM is a more recognisable qualification than a LPC if you try to find a job outside of law. Though to be honest by that point I'm not sure a future employer would be too concerned about your academics. And I guess you probably get some value from the stuff they teach?

That said, if there is something else worthwhile you'd like to do during those few months, it is probably worth doing that instead.
NotQuiteMikeRoss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did it primarily because of the PG loan, but I would've done it anyway; It's an extra qualification for very little work - surely having an LLM is better than not having one?
Sanjeeda Uddin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m in the same boat as you right now (going into my third year of university) based on what i have read on this thread, if you do a combined LPC LLM - you can potentially recieve a post graduate loan? if that is the case then to be honest cost wise i think that is a great decision considering it eases the financial aspect a bit. even though some people may say the LLM part of the LLM LPC sounds pointless i think it’s better than just LPC by itself!
OAL93
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The LLM aspect is a bit of a joke, but its great for receiving the funding. That's why i'm doing it.
absd233
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Bas16)

I am self funding and chose the LLM. It’s just two extra essays based on topics/areas of your choice.

I didn’t think too much into whether it would have anymore standing, just fancied doing extra modules related to business management and research into an area of law.

The main focus of course, is the LPC.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bas16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Thank you all for the answers!
Found it quite useful to view it from the opportunity cost perspective.

Thank you!
colgate13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
It is an opportunity cost question. What else would you do in those couple of months? You can then assess whether the alternative has more value than the LLM.

I would say that the LLM add-on has at least some value. An LLM is a more recognisable qualification than a LPC if you try to find a job outside of law. Though to be honest by that point I'm not sure a future employer would be too concerned about your academics. And I guess you probably get some value from the stuff they teach?

That said, if there is something else worthwhile you'd like to do during those few months, it is probably worth doing that instead.
Since the OP asked about abroad, I think this advice is particularly true for non-law jobs outside England. Basically no-one outside the UK will know what the LPC is while it is much more likely that they would have at least heard of a LLM as a postgraduate degree. For example, think of a non-law HR/recruitment person in the US.

I agree with the others that you don’t want to overstate the value of an add-on LLM, but during an initial screening of applicants in a foreign country, the person with the add-on LLM would be more likely to get credit, in a tick the box manner, for having a postgraduate degree than the person who only did the core LPC. Everything else being equal, the person who ticked the postgraduate degree box would be more likely to get an initial interview than someone who the company didn’t give that credit to.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (491)
46.76%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (325)
30.95%
I don't have an opinion (234)
22.29%

Watched Threads