Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Like what real advantage do you have with a degree in drama over someone who doesnt have a degree in drama? Or even history, business studies etc etc. All the skills learnt from those types of degrees can all be learnt at home using internet/books free of charge, I would even say you would probs be better of learning non STEM subjects on your own instead of attending uni where you are restricted on what you can learn and alot of what you are taught is irrelevant and not applicable to the real world.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Technically any degree can be learnt at home using internet/books free of charge
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but if an employer has two people - one who knows things to degree level and with no proof, and one with a degree, who is gonna get the job? The person with the degree.

ReputationRep:
    i agree #stemornothing

ReputationRep:
    Nothing in life is worth anything.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It is worth it if you want to be employed in certain fields. If you want to be a History Teacher, a STEM degree won't get you very far.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    Like what real advantage do you have with a degree in drama over someone who doesnt have a degree in drama? Or even history, business studies etc etc. All the skills learnt from those types of degrees can all be learnt at home using internet/books free of charge, I would even say you would probs be better of learning non STEM subjects on your own instead of attending uni where you are restricted on what you can learn and alot of what you are taught is irrelevant and not applicable to the real world.
    I mean, all that home-learning would all come to nothing at the end of the day. You need that piece of paper and silly hat + gown to "prove" you have the knowledge...

Then again, there is the OU, but that's not free of charge.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Based on how things are today. No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    They can get a general, decently paying graduate job with good progression if they made use of their time at uni.. Whilst the person without a degree most likely won't have a similar track open to them - in general.

An academic degree is just a degree, STEM or not. There's no clear pathway for most people with most academic degrees outside of the few directly relevant vocational courses like nursing, architecture, medicine, dentistry etc.

The degree itself teaches you a way/framework of thinking, of analysing, of solving problems - you build up a mindset that is widely applicable to many areas and is why graduates (of any decent degree programme) are sought after. Not to mention the tangential life skills, networking and various personal/professional development opportunities you can get by doing any academic degree at a good uni.

A few of my friends who did drama degrees are now graduating into various roles in the entertainment industry from publishing, to advertising production and even to random things like HR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I did History and I knew from day one that nothing I was learning would ever be applicable in my career, i've ended up in Asset Management which has absolutely no relation to anything I studied at university. It's the skills gained from the degree that appeal to employers, not that you can name every English monarch since 1066.

Does that mean my degree is worthless? Absolutely not.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.