Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a past paper question that I don't understand the working for, even after having looked at the mark scheme. Please see question attached.
    I'm actually getting half of it right, it's just the other half that I'm having trouble with...

Here's my working so far:
    First I found length CE in terms of d, in order to add this value to my result for ED and thus find required length CD (this is the part I got right) - So length CE=

sin60°= opposite/ 2√3 d -->
    √3/2 = opposite/ 2√3 d -->
    opposite = 2√3 d x √3/2 = length CE

This is where I seem to go wrong - finding the length ED=
    First I drew an additional line from B to D, thus making the BED section of the trapezium a triangle and solving ED using trigonometric values. Since angle BED=90°and 1/2 of angle ADE (which was 90°before triangle was drawn)=45°, angle DBE = 180-(45+90) = 45°
    Before being able to find ED, I first found length BE to form one side of the new triangle:
    opposite/adjacent = tan
    tan60°= 2√3 d x √3/2 / adjacent
    √3 = 2√3 d x √3/2 / adjacent Adjacent is BE -->
    √3 BE = 2√3 d x √3/2 dividing both sides by √3-->
    BE = 2d x √3/2

Now I solved for ED using this info...
    tan45°= opposite/ 2d x √3/2
    1 = opposite/ 2d x √3/2 --> Opposite is ED
    opposite = 2d x √3/2 = length ED

Adding length CE =
    2√3 d x √3/2 and
    length ED = 2d x √3/2
    should give answer of 4d if I did it correctly! But adding CE to ED does not, and I'm confused as to why??

The working in the mark scheme says:

2dsin30°+ 2√3 dsin60°=
    2d x 1/2 + 2d√3 x √3/2 = 4d

The part of the answer in bold I seem to have correct? But I don't see how they used 2dsin30°when none of the values for this triangle is equal to the other required length... Even forming a triangle from A to E doesn't work, (with A being 15°), and the angle measures do not add up to 180°

Help ASAP would be appreciated! THANK YOU!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Drop a line vertically from B so that it cuts AD at a new point F and angle BFA is a right angle. Now BF / AD = sin 30. We know AD = 2d and sin 30 = 1/2, from which BF = AD sin 30 = 2d x 1/2 = d.

Now consider that BEDF is a rectangle. Therefore we can say that ED = BF = d.

ReputationRep:
    Great!!! Thank you so much!!!! That makes much more sense! Sorry to be a bother, but just wondering why the way I initially tried solving the problem didn't actually work (apart from the fact that it was much harder solving it that way)??
    Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She'llBeApples)
    Great!!! Thank you so much!!!! That makes much more sense! Sorry to be a bother, but just wondering why the way I initially tried solving the problem didn't actually work (apart from the fact that it was much harder solving it that way)??
    Thanks again.
    There is no justification for your 45 degree angles. (Now that you know the answer, you can easily work out the true value of angle DBE if interested).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.