Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I’m an international student on a Tier 4 visa. I started to study a MSc in Psychology at UEL this January. English is not my native language an because I got a good result in my IELTS I thought I was capable of studying a Masters in London. But reality hit me hard when I arrived, I don’t understand everything the professors speak, I don’t write properly in English (academic writing) I spend triple of the time trying to read and understand a book, lecture, activities. So I fear I will fail.. I would like to know what happens if I fail a module, with my tier 4 visa.. I would also like to know if the university will return some of the money, I paid all the masters.. If I withdraw now what happens? Thank you

    Hi, I’d love to help but I have no experience in relation to your predicament. I’ve only studied at an undergraduate level but if you have a personal tutor I’d recommend speaking to them. If you don’t have a personal tutor I’d recommend going to student support services who can advise you on a course of action. They’ll provide everything from counselling to financial advice. If you talk to your faculty office they will tell you if you have a personal tutor.
    If you fail a module I know at Undergraduate level you resit it in summer as a second attempt but it’s capped at the PASS level. If you file a PEC ‘ personal extenuating circumstances’ form you can resist it again but it won’t be capped and will count as a first attempt. I believe if you are struggling to understand English it’s a viable circumstance for a PEC. 😊 But yes you MUST speak to someone.
    Hope this helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.